X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a filter bypass???

I am wondering why some plumbers insist on having a bypass for their whole house filter. It seems to me that if you just took out the filter and replaced the canister you would achieve the same thing without the extra parts and labor of plumbing in a bypass.

The reason i mention this is because i was looking through some of the pictures in the gallery and ran across this one .

http://www.ridgidforum.com/photoplog/file.php?n=382&w=l

Thank You
    - Cory

Re: Why a filter bypass???

If there is ever a problem you can bypass untill it gets figured out.For instance on of my friends called me to his house cause he had no water.Turns out his house filter had somehow stopped all water flow into the system.Turned on the bypass and told him to call his filter company.

Comment

ok, i will buy that. but the plumber i work for would say "take the filter out, and turn the water back on and call your filter company"

i guess if something ever happened to the housing you would want a bypass, but i just don't see the justification, but what do i know? I haven't been alive as long as some of these guys have been plumbing.

Comment

Too many things could go wrong not to have a bypass. Bad O-ring, homeowner cross threaded filter case, town fudges with water pressure and blows cheap filter case apart, UV stable filter case...not so stable, etc.
        Mike

Comment

this is a standard practice in the industry.

think about this. if your at home on a sunday, and you want to wash your car, no sense in using filtered potable water for that.

also, customers for the most part don't want to start taking things apart. 2 or 3 valves to manipulate, your back in business until the "plumber" arrives.

the by-pass is particulary helpful if there are children/sick/elderly in the house. people can live without hotwater for a bit, but when it comes to extended periods without a crapper or running water, you start seeing the ugly side of people.

if you don't install a by-pass, i can pretty much guarantee your ears will be ringing in the future. cause somebody will be swearing at you.

it's just a standard practice. it good that your curious though. it shows that your thinking.

out loud or to yourself, question everything.

Comment

Originally posted by writecory View Post
            ok, i will buy that. but the plumber i work for would say "take the filter out, and turn the water back on and call your filter company"

i guess if something ever happened to the housing you would want a bypass, but i just don't see the justification, but what do i know? I haven't been alive as long as some of these guys have been plumbing.
            I believe that photo was added to the gallery to show off the inexpensive and unique engineering solution that went into supporting the filter assembly.

Still, it does illustrate your point.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

another reason is when servicing the filter. you could bypass the filter and still supply water to the complex. this will eliminate any trapped air in the system and anyone getting caught in the middle of a shower.

same reason why we typically have more than one regulator on a commercial installation. (along with staging the presure) why large water meters will have a bypass loop.

water filters and softeners are notorious for going bad and needing to be bypassed.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Got level? , Got fire gel ? Got 12"x12" dura rock?
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Damn it Tool!!!!
                  One of these days your going to hurt yourself.
                  Now go and get yourself some insulin.
                  I hope you don't drive when you get like this.

Adam

Comment

no!

Comment

The reference was a little outa plumb and burnt siding
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

ok, good points. I'll shut up, AND install filter bypasses in the future...lol

Comment

nothings out of plumb! and yeah i burnt the siding. a carpenter built a wood enclosure for the unit and supported it..

Comment

Tool I'm sorry,
                            I didn't check the link so I did not see what you were refering to.
                            My bad.
                            Oh,your right.Either the house is out of level or the riser is out of plumb.

WHY DO YOU GUYS ACROSS THE NATION THINK IT'S OK TO SCORCH WOOD?

It's so easy to practice torch control.Put a piece of sheet metal up.Anything.

Comment

Seen ALOT worse. Probably done worse.

This setup and the burning confuses me though. It looks like you have a full gutters width away from the house.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X