Hole Drilling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole Drilling

I'm curious what types of auger, self feed, hole saw, one tooth, stud punch whatever, type of bits and what not that you use for drilling various holes in wood, steel, drywall, iron/whatever for pipe. Which products have you had the best luck with? Which do you find the most serviceable and/or durable? How about productivity and what sizes, etc. ?

Also what types of drills do you prefer to use with above mentioned various bits, etc. ?

I ask because it seems as though there have been a few innovative products that have come out the past few years as far as variations of the traditional auger or self feed bits.

I got the MIlwaukee 06/07 catalogue that I gawk at in my van (working on getting the 08/09 one hopefully) and they have these sheet metal carbide tooth holesaws that I was looking at for going through steel stud. Yes my company tends to use the stud punch but it's nice sometimes to drill a perfect 2 9/16's hole for a drain pipe instead of a bunch of 1 1/8" stup punch holes which look like crap.

Re: Hole Drilling

I turn more wood than steel. So I'll speak on that. For years you couldn't beat a Milwaukee Selfeed in various sizes. Others have made good copies.

Now, the one tooth (I think Lenox was the first. That's what I use.) have come on and work great in my opinion. Can do alot of holes as fast before sharpening. And you produce alot less shavings on the job.

Last I looked, Milwaukee had made similar ones with, I think 4 teeth. Might be good too.

Right angle drills still rule. Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita. I prefer clutch, clutch, clutch. No reason to get hurt and it's just the right evolution of the tool.

Now, has anyone used the new Lenox tile bits? Or recommendations on any tile bits up to 1.5"?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Hello Scott , I ve got several types forstner, planeter, hole saw , one tooth hole saw, As for drills, an old timberwolf, dewalt 124, With a recent job change the need for punchin' holes in iron has diminished. Personally if I was doing a lot of tin studs, I'd plasma cut with a jig.

Comment

For sheet metal, I like Lenox sheetmetal carbide bits. Goes very quickly even through stainless. Milwaukee now makes a 3 tooth which I'd like to try out but haven't had the chance yet. For my 1 3/8" holes and smaller in 2x4's, I just use spade bits. For bigger holes, I use 1tooth or lenox hole saw bits.

For most drilling, I just use my dewalt 18 volt drill but for big stuff, I use my dewalt (timberwolf style) right angle drill.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          For sheet metal, I like Lenox sheetmetal carbide bits. Goes very quickly even through stainless. Milwaukee now makes a 3 tooth which I'd like to try out but haven't had the chance yet. For my 1 3/8" holes and smaller in 2x4's, I just use spade bits. For bigger holes, I use 1tooth or lenox hole saw bits.

For most drilling, I just use my dewalt 18 volt drill but for big stuff, I use my dewalt (timberwolf style) right angle drill.
          Ben turned me on to the lenox carbides for sheet metal.They shread!!!!
          I would like to try the milwaukee three tooth.

Comment

Exclusivly Lennox 1 tooth for wood and a Rigid angle drill. Threw all the self feeders away.
            sigpic

Comment

For wood, You name it, I got! For plate steel, Mag drill with annular cutters! If You've never seen this setup drill,You wont believe how fast I can drill many holes in 1/2" steel!
              Even up side down on I beam flanges!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

OH man oh man, I just found a 10 piece Milwaukee Big hawg set on ebay for about $130 plus shipping. Ironically I was looking at some of them yesterday at the local tool store and they were like $40+ each and that's just for one big hawg part, no arbor or pilot bit. Might have to make a purchase here soon fellas.

Those MIlwaukee switchblades look pretty schweet too. And Milwaukee also makes a 6 1/4" big hawg which is perfect for guys running big pipe or 6" ducts.

Comment

Alright fellas - you're looking at a new daddy here.....soon anyways. I am an expecting father (pending shipping) of a brand new 10 piece Milwaukee Big Hawg set. Schweet! Where's my ****n?

Comment

Scott K

Do you mean this one?
                    http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/..._195639_192327

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      For wood, You name it, I got! For plate steel, Mag drill with annular cutters! If You've never seen this setup drill,You wont believe how fast I can drill many holes in 1/2" steel!
                      Even up side down on I beam flanges!
                      Something like in this video??? ... He needs to use tool coolant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unAtW...eature=related

Comment

Everyone may want to see this video. Bosch VS Milwaukee .. To be fair they are different type hole saws, but watch them at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfyGhSOmq4c

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post

Yup, that's the one!

Comment

If the Milwaukee Big Hawg bits are anything like, and I suspect better than because of the extra 2 teeth, the Lenox 1 tooth bits, then we'll be in for a treat. LIke I said I've never seen a bit go through 2 - 2 x 4 plates and 3/4" plywood as fast as a Lenox 1 tooth on a Milwaukee Super-hawg.

Do you think those Bosch bits can go through steel stud?

Comment

ScottK

See how you like this video. The Super Hawg hogs fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2N-q5ONHiw
                              Last edited by Woussko; 09-28-2008, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X