X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching Plumbing

Any of you guys ever teach plumbing at a Community College or something similar? They do not have anything at my local one or at any High Schools last I checked.

Just thinking...

J.C.

Re: Teaching Plumbing

I teach plumbing to high schools students and the 2nd year apprentice program to adults.
    sigpic

Comment

i don't yet, but i'm hoping to.

the nunavut gov't figured that they better get their sh*t together and build a trade school. it will better reflect the climate conditions we deal with up here.

tradesmen (we don't have any women trades"people" yet) such as myself don't have the apprentices to teach. we're not getting any younger.

look north if times are hard.

jc, we could sure use that hwt of your's.

Comment

i have volunteered the last 6 years at the local trade college to meet with the advisory board. it's a round table discussion of what is being taught for the following school year.

followed by a lunch served by the future chefs of america

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

In New Hampshire, enrollment in both Plumbing and Electrical apprentice schools is down almost 50%. Seems like young people have no interest in the trades anymore. Takes too much time and effort for them. So it looks like the diy crowd may get their wish. In another decade there will only be a handfull of us dinosaurs left.
          sigpic

Comment

i've had many different types of jobs unrelated to plumbing.

i've always been able to fall back on my ticket when the need arose.

the certificate lasts' a lifetime.

it's just too bad that the majority of people don't like getting dirty anymore.

i love getting dirty.

Comment

I love getting dirty too.... If I did not I would not have been crawling through a 48" culvert today on my hands and knees to determine its life expectancy!

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                In New Hampshire, enrollment in both Plumbing and Electrical apprentice schools is down almost 50%. Seems like young people have no interest in the trades anymore. Takes too much time and effort for them. So it looks like the diy crowd may get their wish. In another decade there will only be a handfull of us dinosaurs left.
                I gotta' say that a huge part of the enrollment being down is that nobody wants their kid to go into the trades in my experience. Even people in the trade encourage them to do something else no matter how succesful they have been at it.

In the areas I've lived, there was not one plumbing course being taught. Maybe never has. And last I checked, the local Community College I went too did not offer anything still.

Thought it might be good if something was offered. I would have went to it. I guess you got to teach the 50% that you have the absolute best you can and not let the other 50% worry you too much.

J.C.

Comment

I taught service and repair to 3rd year apprentices at my local when i was still union.

It was fun. They hated me the Saturday morning when I made them all do a 1 inch tap on a piece of 6 inch ductile pipe manually with the ratchet style. It was 7am and many of them had partied the night away the evening before.

Everyone was sweating after that. They took turns....but still.

They also liked when I brought in the sewer camera until I had rubber gloves on a few of them who had to send it down a live building sewer. Nearly all of them had never seen the inside of a sewer before. There were lots of treasures to be found.

Over 350 people were in the building at any given time on a school night so they got quite a show.

Almost all of them were new construction guys(and gals).
                  www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

i attended the "northern alberta institute of technology", or NAIT.

i don't know if the display is still there because i graduated in '89. at the time was a complete model of a functioning bungalow style house with basement. the entire drainage system was piped in glass. it was possible to observe first hand the flow characteristics of the waste.

should have seen the look on my instructor's face when i took a big dump in the wc and flushed.just kidding

as it turned out, it was a great learning tool for me as i was able to become one with the pipe.

ever hear of the "sachs harbour institute of technology"?

Comment

That's great Vince. I had to learn it on the job and on my own. And still learning every second.

J.C.

Comment

I am waiting for those commercials like "WYOTech" etc for there to be a plumbing one soon. There is going to have to be something soon other than union. They have colleges for everything else, automotive, motorcycle repair, X-Ray technician....... Plumbing will be soon.... This is the trade that has been aroung longer than ANY other... other than you know.... the one with the girls.....

Comment

I am sure you can get a plumbing degree here...for the right amount of money!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RKQRVn4NAs

Also, the Community College of the Air Force would give a degree in plumbing.

Comment

That woman looks like she ATE the real Sally Struthers!

Comment

Working...
                            X