X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The future of our trade....

The positive is those who care to learn will be highly sought after and highly paid. The highly technical aspect of the trade will require less brawn and more brains. It's anyone's guess what those new technical aspects will be but it will likely include a lot of computer savvy equipment.

At one time we listened for leaks with our ears then we went to very rudimental electronic locating then computerized electronic locating. Some have started working with infrared technology already but I see that being one of the next new tools a plumber will carry.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I think the future will bring increased use of solar, geothermal, and grey water systems that will open up whole new areas for work in the residential and commercial arenas. I see many new solar electric dealers and installers springing up here in the past 2 years, can we be far behind?
      Why are we behind anyway? You would think that the various industry associations and manufacturers would be pushing their products with advertising and such, taking advantage of the inflated price of fossil fuels to justify the investment in their systems with long payback periods.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Cistern systems for reusing grey water. OLD technology Plumbers will fight it but engineers and builders will insist on it. Tank-less water heaters whether I like it or not .OLD technology but home owners and builders will insist on it. Pex and cpvc- old technology- because a plumber can't win a bid without using it. ( matter of fact the tallest building in GrandRapids is being plumbed with CPVC) . The only thing that matters TOILET SEAT BIDETS. Old technology, Customers will insist on it. So easy to install plumbers won't be needed. Customer will buy them from the Internet because plumbers will make them feel stupid for asking about them.

Comment

Re: The future of our trade.... My take

AAV,AND WATERLESS URINALS ALL OVER N.H.!
          10 Years ago,My Son in Law,stopped the plumbing end of His Buss. and went after Geo Thermal heat ,big time.He was a former New England plumber,with vast experience in Hydronics. They live outside Seattle now. This area is hot for Geo. It gets cold in winter,
          lots of $$ from Boeing,Microsoft. Many Hi Tech. folks that love the green tech. He has a passion for this and Buss. is booming! He saw the future,and is in the right area!
          This market may not produce as much work everywhere. He went to every workshop in Canada,and here ,early on.He didn't sit back,and now it's paying off! Hope this inspires
          some young plumber somewhere! Tool
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

In 5 years, an Associates degree will be required to get a Master Plumbers license. Is this a good thing or a bad thing in your eyes? I think it would be good, especially for service. I think that CPW would have more luck troubleshooting his System 2000 Boiler than a regular service guy with no electronics training. Like it or not plumbing needs education and as Mark put it "more brains than brawn!" Yes the labor unions do a great job in teaching but there has to be something out there for people who dont want to be married to the union!

I think that we will start seeing plumbing degrees offered at community colleges with well rounded course offerings from drain cleaning to business accounting! We are in a trade that rapidly evolves, hell 20 years ago you show up on a job with latex gloves you were going to hear it, now if you dont wear gloves while you work you are foolish for exposing yourself to hazards!

Education is the key.... and certifications, I have news for everyone, in a few years backflow preventers will be required on EVERY service line, GET YOUR CERTIFICATIONS NOW!

Tracpipe, Wardflex like it or not they will stay, just like PEX... Get used to it and learn it! It may not be what we are used to or the "BEST" but it is with out a doubt, the most cost effective! Copper will have its place still, On anything greater than 1"

Valve manifolds, like the circuit breaker boxes! What a great idea!! And that was something any of us could have thought of!

Just my 2cents after taxes on the whole situation!

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
              I think that CPW would have more luck troubleshooting his System 2000 Boiler than a regular service guy with no electronics training.
              Maybe, but I get to pay $300 a year and Burke heat will show up at 5AM with a fully stocked truck to fix most of it for "free". Seeing as the darn thing has broken half a dozen times in 2 years [4 of those I can blame on their cleaning though]; that works out well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                10 Years ago,My Son in Law,stopped the plumbing end of His Buss. and went after Geo Thermal heat ,big time.He was a former New England plumber,with vast experience in Hydronics. They live outside Seattle now. This area is hot for Geo. It gets cold in winter,
                lots of $$ from Boeing,Microsoft. Many Hi Tech. folks that love the green tech. He has a passion for this and Buss. is booming! He saw the future,and is in the right area!
                This market may not produce as much work everywhere. He went to every workshop in Canada,and here ,early on.He didn't sit back,and now it's paying off! Hope this inspires
                Great post Tool.
                Some strong words to kick the whinners and kids in the pants.It's out there get off your butt and get yours.Of course it's not easy you idiot.

P.S.Unlike others I don't have time/patience to debate with an idiot
                My skills do not lie in convincing people of my point of view with talk.
                My work has to do the convincing for me.
                This forum is helping me to change this.

Comment

Shhhhaaaaduuuupp!
                  I have been considering it, NOT the most cost effective thing for existng residences, but DEFINITELY worth considering in advance of the new residential upswing.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Great post Tool.
                    Some strong words to kick the whinners and kids in the pants.It's out there get off your butt and get yours.Of course it's not easy you idiot.

P.S.Unlike others I don't have time/patience to debate with an idiot
                    My skills do not lie in convincing people of my point of view with talk.
                    My work has to do the convincing for me.
                    This forum is helping me to change this.
                    You have a way with words.
                    I get the point...
                    20 years ago, you didn't need a combustion analyzer to install a boiler.
                    I didn't need anything more than the electrical schematics to understand when a safety had shorted.
                    Now it's gotten to where you need voltimeters, ammeters, manometers that measure within 100ths of a W.C., and piles of manuals & reference books to do a simple boiler service call.
                    I install tankless water heaters, despite the members here stating they're a fad, I also service them...not yer garden variety thermocouple or element replacement, these things have a few parts in them.

We spent years in school, and as apprentices breaking our backs while learning how to properly install plumbing systems, all to watch MFG's sell us down the river to cater to a more lucrative Home Depot DIY crowd.

You can call it whining, I call it speaking up.
                    I'm not afraid to lose a few friends to stand by what I believe is right.

Comment

Most of the "good" advances are in the HVAC end and truth be told, that's where the big money lies right now. Radiant, solar, geo thermal etc. But the thread was about plumbing and while you can (and should) argue that hvac and plumbing are closely tied together I thought we were talking about plumbing which means water supply and dwv to me. And in that area, I have not been too impressed with most of the new time saving wonder devices and materials that have flooded the market in the past 20 years. Then again, it's nothing new to the trade. Things make their way into the market. We play with them for awhile. Keep the good stuff and let the crap fade away.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                        You have a way with words.
                        I get the point...
                        20 years ago, you didn't need a combustion analyzer to install a boiler.
                        I didn't need anything more than the electrical schematics to understand when a safety had shorted.
                        Now it's gotten to where you need voltimeters, ammeters, manometers that measure within 100ths of a W.C., and piles of manuals & reference books to do a simple boiler service call.
                        I install tankless water heaters, despite the members here stating they're a fad, I also service them...not yer garden variety thermocouple or element replacement, these things have a few parts in them.

We spent years in school, and as apprentices breaking our backs while learning how to properly install plumbing systems, all to watch MFG's sell us down the river to cater to a more lucrative Home Depot DIY crowd.

You can call it whining, I call it speaking up.
                        I'm not afraid to lose a few friends to stand by what I believe is right.
                        Your not going to loose me Duck,I like you too much

Comment

Do you guys see a merging of trades happening much? For example, I had a tankless installed, but it was done by an HVAC company.

What was interesting is that I talked to him about my add on and the plumbing work I needed for that. The installer stated that he had only a "limited" plumbing license that I would need a "plumber" for the other stuff.

Have you guys had to learn other trades, like HVAC for example, to stay competitive?

Comment

Originally posted by theoak View Post
                            Do you guys see a merging of trades happening much? For example, I had a tankless installed, but it was done by an HVAC company.

What was interesting is that I talked to him about my add on and the plumbing work I needed for that. The installer stated that he had only a "limited" plumbing license that I would need a "plumber" for the other stuff.

Have you guys had to learn other trades, like HVAC for example, to stay competitive?
                            In your state, gas requires an HVAC cert.

Here it's a plumbers job.

And...yes...we are getting a push from the board to get into HVAC, at one point the board was discussing merging plumbing & HVAC where so many HVAC installers are cutting corners and doing the gas/venting work themselves.

Comment

What in hell's a limited plumbing license?

I suspect what he is is an hvac guy doing illegal plumbing. There is no part of a tankless heater that is hvac or even hvac related.

Eject the bum
                              sigpic

Comment

I am with NHMaster, in Westchester we have a RESTRICTED License but that only allows you to do work in certain towns/cities, not limiting the type of work you do.

Comment

Working...
                                X