The future of our trade....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The future of our trade....

I see safety concerns skyrocketing. Someday I see anybody doing any drain work or cleaning lines to be dressed in a bio-hazard suit.

I am waiting on a massive notice put out that says inhaling glue and primer fumes causes ........ Kind of like how asbestos came to light.

People in general, are getting more obsessed with the thought of germs.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Good call with the glue and primer!! Nasty nasty stuff, cheapest high on the market though!!

Comment

more dumbed down

Comment

I remember going into the supply house with my father (late 50's). They had a soda machine that dispensed cokes free!!!!!!!!!
          I could say that my plumbing experiences have been on a downward spiral ever since.
          But, as with the rest of you, it's more complicated then that.
          Many skills have become obsolete due to new materials and evolving codes. Considering that we could still be wiping lead joints, these changes aren't all bad.
          Do I see the influx of unskilled labor? As a union contractor, I see it every time I'm told my bid is 50-75% high.
          Do I see opportunity? I wouldn't have taken all 5 Green Plumber seminars this year if I didn't think so.
          Change is the constant.
          As Lee Iaccoca said, "Get in, get out of the way, or get run over."
          I just wish mommas thought more highly of our trade, 'cause maybe then their children would see it as the occupation that it is. One with challenges and rewards for the body, the mind and the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
            I see safety concerns skyrocketing. Someday I see anybody doing any drain work or cleaning lines to be dressed in a bio-hazard suit.

I am waiting on a massive notice put out that says inhaling glue and primer fumes causes ........ Kind of like how asbestos came to light.

People in general, are getting more obsessed with the thought of germs.
            Sueing your local drain cleaner.Yep,I can see it.

And they think the prices are high now.
            "Mainline clearing??? Oh that starts around $1200 ma'am."

Comment

Re: The future of our trade.... My take

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              Shhhhaaaaduuuupp!

I have been considering it, NOT the most cost effective thing for existng residences, but DEFINITELY worth considering in advance of the new residential upswing.
              Passed on From son in law. Say a 1500-1700 sq.ft. home. 2 wells,forced air[not radiant]
              $15,000 Up grade! Think of the savings,on fuel bills! He sees soo many getting in on the residental end, He may do large commercial,in the future. I look at His Mechal. rooms and
              feel soo,inadequate. I know zero about this , and have much respect for those of You that do this! If You're Young and hungry to learn,this has a great future! Enough elec to run pumps only, No, fuel oil, No L.P., NO Natural Gas. Two new homes side by side , in a cold climate. One has Geo thermal , the other Oil heat. 15,000 more for the geo [price of a smart car]. Which one do You and Mom want????
              Last edited by toolaholic; 09-23-2008, 10:09 PM.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Geothermal. I have spoken to 3 installers in person, 2 informed & licensed people online, and helped dig the trenches for the "loops" on a couple of systems.

All 5 people have said you will never get a payback on the system in your lifetime and actually lose money. BUT.... this may not be your only goal.

All 5 said it was for people with disposable income that wanted to feel better about their green factor.

Just telling you what I'm told.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Geothermal. I have spoken to 3 installers in person, 2 informed & licensed people online, and helped dig the trenches for the "loops" on a couple of systems.

All 5 people have said you will never get a payback on the system in your lifetime and actually lose money. BUT.... this may not be your only goal.

All 5 said it was for people with disposable income that wanted to feel better about their green factor.

J.C.

ANY of that promotional **** on this old house is gadgetry items that cost thousands of dollars to install AND maintain...

but that's not the premace of the show......it's the idea to draaaaaaaaaaaw you into being better than the jones, spend that big bucks and make your basement look like a science experiment.

DO IT!!!
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

J.C.
                    My son in law retroed His own home to install this. He has no reason to Lie to Me! Watch the future,thaan Well talk!
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      My son in law retroed His own home to install this. He has no reason to Lie to Me! Watch the future,thaan Well talk!
                      Just telling you what 5 licensed & informed installers told me. I will gladly read or listen to anything your son-in-law has to say. The more informed we are, the better.

J.C.

Comment

J.C.
                        Thought: Where the feds have begun to mandate higher efficiency for cars to compensate for emissions and fuel shortages...when do you suppose this rolls over to the construction industry?

Comment

That's a good point Duck. They've been involved for a while with the MECCheck system. (Model Energy Code) It's done some good things with insulation minimums, housewrap etc.

Check out the Model Energy Code. Some things interesting. Might come a time for strict "hybrid houses".

J.C.

Comment

I think the future of the trade will be shark bites and ABS. Nuff said.

I think fusion will take a firmer hold in the hydronic & water line arena's. Drainage, well system 15 seems to be getting more and more attention.

But honestly you can't beat threaded steel for gas lines. It's durable, cheap, and easy to install if you're well practiced.

The thing I always wondered was why aluminum pipe/tubing has never been used for water lines ?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott K View Post
                              I think the future of the trade will be shark bites and ABS. Nuff said.

I think fusion will take a firmer hold in the hydronic & water line arena's. Drainage, well system 15 seems to be getting more and more attention.

But honestly you can't beat threaded steel for gas lines. It's durable, cheap, and easy to install if you're well practiced.

The thing I always wondered was why aluminum pipe/tubing has never been used for water lines ?
                              I wonder if it has anything to do with the many different minerals/chemicals having the possibility of breaking it down.

Comment

There are some that say Aluminum WILL be carried in water to be ingested with possible links to Alzheimers. Not proven yet but studies are happening last I heard.

The neuritic plaques on the brain in Alzheimers patients contain high traces of Aluminum. State & A.O. Smith-Aluminum based anodes. I avoid them when possible.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X