X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The future of our trade....

Where do you guys see plumbing in the coming years? I mean look back 10 years at how far we had come, PEX, PROPRESS, Tankless. What do you guys see, as far as changes in licensing laws, codes, products?

Re: The future of our trade....

ROSETTA STONE
    en espaniol

Comment

I really and truly wish I could say that you were wrong......

Comment

I think tankless dominance is inevitable even if it may be wrong.

PEX & CPVC will take over copper in the residential market provided there isn't a drastic increase in failure rates.

Copper is usually commercial spec'd here, so that may save it for awhile. Press systems will overtake soldering-once again-provided their isn't drastic failure rates.

Grey water systems will be slowly transitioned into code. Possibly REQUIRED!

All I can think of right now.

J.C.

Comment

Not really sure but if you figure it out let us all in on it so we can buy stock now

If current trends continue though, I see more and more diy friendly materials and fittings along with a further loosening of the code in order to accomodate the growing number of diy hacks that are eating away at our profession like a cancer.
          sigpic

Comment

I see homes piped with garden hose, sold at HD after "petitioning" code authorities to approve it.

I see HD becoming the ultimate code authority for that matter, after positioning themselves into a point of leverage where any remaining code authorities that dissent no longer have the budget to compete with their lawyers.

Comment

I disagree about code cheapening. It looks to me that it cannot be lessened anymore and still be safe. The insurance industry will not allow it.

J.C.

Comment

They can be bought
                sigpic

Comment

My outlook is different. I see a tremendous future for young plumbers who take the initiative to become schooled on new technology.

Take a look at the magazine "OFFICIAL", which is the newsletter of IAPMO, and also World Plumbing Review, another IAPMO pub. The US is not the only place facing water shortages. There are emerging technologies in other countries which will invariably make their way here.
                  Codes on drain and vent and DFU's on water supply....all these areas are subject to research which will dramatically change our approach to these things. Energy efficiency is a huge area. Etc. Etc. I think the next 20 years will be an exciting time for a young plumber.

Comment

It seems like these are the same concerns I heard when plastic DWV was first coming out. The truth of the matter is some plumbers will limit their knowledge to their current comfort zones and some will continue their education to more technical aspects of plumbing. Those who choose to stay behind will compete against a larger more available work force and those who forge ahead will be in a higher demand. Each guy here will have to decide where that leaves them.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

God help us all if IAPMO is at the helm.
                      sigpic

Comment

Some seem to list alot of negatives for the future of our trade. What are some of the positives for the future of our trade?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Some seem to list alot of negatives for the future of our trade. What are some of the positives for the future of our trade?

J.C.

Toilet paper clogs drains

Muwahaaaahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

J.C.
                            Even if code were to start allowing DIY water heaters, people will always want a plumber to lug it down to the basement!

Comment

J.C.

Yep, people gotta poop!

Comment

Working...
                              X