Massive PVC Failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Massive PVC Failure

How does the underground DWV relate to the firecode? We don't have it connected/cited here as far as I know.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      How does the underground DWV relate to the firecode? We don't have it connected/cited here as far as I know.

Thanks.

J.C.
      No answer??? Ok, what's your favorite old standup video game? Defender? Paperboy? Space Invaders?

J.C.

Comment

Galaga.

Comment

Moon Patrol

Comment

I took a CE class where the instructor said that a contractor was working on PVC-DWV and someone lit a torch near one of the open cleanouts and the fumes in the DWV ignited and "blew up" a bunch of it.

This is a VERY good instructor/inspector. BS or not?

J.C.
            absolutly true. my buddy was doing a new high school a few years back. the underground sch. 80 pvc water main was installed by others.

one of his guys went to solder with a prefabbed male adapter already screwed into the line. there was a huge explosion and the main had shattered in numerous places underground.

needless to say, the asphalt had to come out to replace the entire system. hundreds and hundreds of feet as the percussion blew fittings to pieces.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
              our health regulations state that the dishes must be final rinsed with hotwater no less than 180 f. this is for sanitizing reasons. something to do with quick dry and/or the germ killing heat i think.

there is a little booster tank located in the commercial dishwasher unit that boostes the incoming hotel/restraunt set 120 f to 180-210 f . believe me, the dishes are scalding hot when they come out.

i believe we use copper and cast iron for fire code reasons and possibly for the extreme hot waste than is be dumped down the drain.

is it possible you guys are using boosted hot water?

just wondering
              Our health dept. wants our hot boosted to 180.
              Don't try cranking a 210,000btu commercial 100gal up to provide,they burn up in a few years.
              I just put in a booster to replace the comm.100 the "Front Yellow Page PRO" put in.
              Oh,his shop is less than a block away from my house.

Comment

I did a restaurant a few years ago with 2 commericial dw at 180 F, and I had to install a drain cooler to temper the water down to 160 F. The inspector stated that even though the piping in the building was C/I, the city mains could only tolerate 160 F Max. Not sure about the validity, have never heard of it since
                West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Ditto, my states code requires 160 pre-rinse & 180 final on commercial DW's...NO PVC or plastic pipe whatsoever on commercial, none.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    absolutly true. my buddy was doing a new high school a few years back. the underground sch. 80 pvc water main was installed by others.

one of his guys went to solder with a prefabbed male adapter already screwed into the line. there was a huge explosion and the main had shattered in numerous places underground.

needless to say, the asphalt had to come out to replace the entire system. hundreds and hundreds of feet as the percussion blew fittings to pieces.

rick.
                    Man,oh Man.Who had to pay for that change order?
                    Kenneth Collier
                    Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                    Jackson, MS 39206
                    (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                    drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Thanks.

J.C.

the fire code statement was just that. a statement.

i don't play video games.

Comment

i had to think about that one, the original atari. i think the name of the game was "pong".

Comment

Water should not be over 140 degrees. Even cast iron depends on a tar coating and that's not impervious to heat. The water should be reduced in temperature before entering the drain. I often caution people that they must run cold water while dumping pots of water from the stove and pour slowly. You can eat the seals out of a new disposer very quickly, and I doubt that commercial disposers are much different.

People who do canning are particularly prone to this.

Comment

I don't have a code book in front of me but I do remember this question being asked on our city's journeyman test...What is the max temp of discharge into a sanitary sewer?....140 degrees f...Sounds like an engineering problem to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
                              Water should not be over 140 degrees. Even cast iron depends on a tar coating and that's not impervious to heat. The water should be reduced in temperature before entering the drain. I often caution people that they must run cold water while dumping pots of water from the stove and pour slowly. You can eat the seals out of a new disposer very quickly, and I doubt that commercial disposers are much different.

People who do canning are particularly prone to this.
                              This is a good point but I do remember reading that Charlottes CI corrosion resistance was suspended in the casting process. Meaning it is resistant through the total thickness of the material.

Others may not be the same.

J.C.

Comment

If they made CPVC directional fittings (typical DWV) would this cure the problem if one wanted to keep it all plastic?

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X