Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive PVC Failure

Restaurant, not even 9 years old.

I referred this job out as I don't like doing commercial as I don't like people bumping into me and working, asking me to move because they're straining beans in their stainless steel palace of wonders.

This guy I sent over there took on a simple job, less than $150.

They get called back again and there's a clogged drain, septic guy with cable machine can't get it open, leaves it wide open game for the next guy.

Another guy comes in, can't get it open....sounds like a budweiser commercial with an open introduction for rick holding the reigns don't it?

Well, the camera inspection told the story, completely. The combination of the dishwashing machine pumping 180 degree water down the drains along with the nearby 3 compartment sink mostly draining cold water....

the constant thermal expansion and contraction of the piping underneath the floor disintegrated the piping at all the joints, numerous places throughout the underground piping.

There literally was nothing to work with, nothing! The piping had hardened up like glass and that constant temperature variance like I constantly remind others of took a heavy toll on this underground piping system.

Restaurant was shut down for 4 days, huge holes were put in the floor almost 3' deep to get to this piping.

$6000.00 is what it cost to have the work done........and you know what?

I guarantee that it was put back in with the same exact piping materials.

Cast Iron would be the appropriate materials I believe in this scenario given that the life of cast iron would be a better application than something that only lasted less than 9 years.

I found this pretty darn interesting.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Massive PVC Failure

Isn't the max temp for pvc 140*?

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
      Restaurant, not even 9 years old.

I referred this job out as I don't like doing commercial as I don't like people bumping into me and working, asking me to move because they're straining beans in their stainless steel palace of wonders.

This guy I sent over there took on a simple job, less than $150.

They get called back again and there's a clogged drain, septic guy with cable machine can't get it open, leaves it wide open game for the next guy.

Another guy comes in, can't get it open....sounds like a budweiser commercial with an open introduction for rick holding the reigns don't it?

Well, the camera inspection told the story, completely. The combination of the dishwashing machine pumping 180 degree water down the drains along with the nearby 3 compartment sink mostly draining cold water....

the constant thermal expansion and contraction of the piping underneath the floor disintegrated the piping at all the joints, numerous places throughout the underground piping.

There literally was nothing to work with, nothing! The piping had hardened up like glass and that constant temperature variance like I constantly remind others of took a heavy toll on this underground piping system.

Restaurant was shut down for 4 days, huge holes were put in the floor almost 3' deep to get to this piping.

$6000.00 is what it cost to have the work done........and you know what?

I guarantee that it was put back in with the same exact piping materials.

Cast Iron would be the appropriate materials I believe in this scenario given that the life of cast iron would be a better application than something that only lasted less than 9 years.

I found this pretty darn interesting.
      could it be a bad batch of pipe? Lord I don't want to lug around cast iron.

Comment

Something weird here. I've seen pics of Commercial D/W warping PVC but never this. Wonder what kind of PVC it was.

You can run a Commercial D/W on PVC with a holding tank/solenoid. Still makes you nervous and want to run some CI on that branch.

J.C.

Comment

I took a CE class where the instructor said that a contractor was working on PVC-DWV and someone lit a torch near one of the open cleanouts and the fumes in the DWV ignited and "blew up" a bunch of it.

This is a VERY good instructor/inspector. BS or not?

J.C.

Comment

I'm positive it was spec'd for SCH40 PVC.

Comment

I'm positive it was spec'd for SCH40 PVC.
              As far as I know that is too high of a temp for sch 40 pvc. I believe it may even be too high for sch 80.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                Isn't the max temp for pvc 140*?

Yeap.
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                  As far as I know that is too high of a temp for sch 40 pvc. I believe it may even be too high for sch 80.

I thought all dishtank equipment was set to run at 140 degrees but local health department regulations might be higher for the reason of sanitary regs.

He just mentioned that the pipe was trashed, completely and he's never seen anything so badly ruined in the lines of plastic piping.

JC,,

you talking about a pipe just solvent-welded together? YES, absolutely with the glue and cleaner fumes inside the piping.

If it was just sewer gases.....it takes a really high level of methane which is unusual to create a flammable gas with the consideration of moisture and air infiltration from nearby structures adding to the mix.

Comment

I know that's one of those things we've all done and not thought about it sometimes.

He said it blew some under the slab too and they had to do it over. Cut, dig, retest, the works.

J.C.

Comment

I thought all dishtank equipment was set to run at 140 degrees but local health department regulations might be higher for the reason of sanitary regs.

He just mentioned that the pipe was trashed, completely and he's never seen anything so badly ruined in the lines of plastic piping.

JC,,

you talking about a pipe just solvent-welded together? YES, absolutely with the glue and cleaner fumes inside the piping.

If it was just sewer gases.....it takes a really high level of methane which is unusual to create a flammable gas with the consideration of moisture and air infiltration from nearby structures adding to the mix.
                      We are not allowed to run pvc in any commercial application(NYS Code). There was even some talk a year or so ago with banning pvc for kitchen drains(residential) for the reason like that restaurant. It never went through though.

Comment

Directional fitting CPVC?

J.C.

Comment

Thanks , this is interesting! $6000 sounds VERY cheap for what I'm guessing was done.

Is this why You passed on the repair????
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

our health regulations state that the dishes must be final rinsed with hotwater no less than 180 f. this is for sanitizing reasons. something to do with quick dry and/or the germ killing heat i think.

there is a little booster tank located in the commercial dishwasher unit that boostes the incoming hotel/restraunt set 120 f to 180-210 f . believe me, the dishes are scalding hot when they come out.

i believe we use copper and cast iron for fire code reasons and possibly for the extreme hot waste than is be dumped down the drain.

is it possible you guys are using boosted hot water?

just wondering

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              Thanks , this is interesting! $6000 sounds VERY cheap for what I'm guessing was done.

Is this why You passed on the repair????

I thought it was relatively cheap too given 4 days of work, plumbers working on the weekend.

I pass on any large jobs because I lose so much work not being available to the crumb calls. I literally can make more money on the small jobs and it puts the truck in numerous driveways in a day, keeps me in tune with meeting numerous people.

Commercial work I can do.....but dislike the atmosphere completely...along with putting smiles on the faces of employees at the supply houses.

I can manage quite well for months literally in the residential side of plumbing the way my truck is stocked.

Comment

Working...
                              X