X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Tapping

I recently had some hot taps done on 8" and 4"cooling lines(200+ PSI) and when I got the bill I realized that this is something I should be doing myself. We got the threadolettes welded on, and put the valves on. The only thing he did was tap it, and it took about 5 mins for each 3" tap, and 4 mins for each 2" tap
    Any of you guys get hot taps done. If so, do you do them or do you sub it out?

The machine that looks like it stands out the most is the IFT (www.hottapmachine.com). Any feedback on this or other machines?

Thanks in advance.

BP
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Re: Hot Tapping

I use a Mueller B-100, but that threads the Ductile Iron pipe itself, no welding required, for anything greater than 2" or plastic lines you have to use a saddle around here.

Comment

Oh and to drive it I have a head that fits a 700 machine, it turns at a slower rate than the one that you showed.

Comment

I use Harry's hot tapper. Works quite well and it's simple. We always use a saddle. Don't have much ductile around here. I drive it with a right angle drill on low speed.

Comment

Originally posted by ILPlumber View Post
          I use Harry's hot tapper. Works quite well and it's simple. We always use a saddle. Don't have much ductile around here. I drive it with a right angle drill on low speed.
          Just looked them up.
          They're made 15 miles from my front door!!!
          They look economical.Do they hold up?

Comment

Yes it does. I have used it to make 57 taps in the last 5 or so years. I have made up to 4" taps with it. It paid for itself after 3 taps.

You have to make your own drain tee etc. But hey, galvanized nipples and fittings are cheap.

I have bought saddles there also. They are good quality. NPT saddles are hard to find around here, Everything is AWWA thread.
            Last edited by ILPlumber; 09-24-2008, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Yes it does. I have used it to make 57 taps in the last 5 or so years. I have made up to 4" taps with it. It paid for itself after 3 taps.

You have to make your own drain tee etc. But hey, galvanized nipples and fittings are cheap.

I have bought saddles there also. They are good quality. NPT saddles are hard to find around here, Everything is AWWA thread.
              Thank-you ILPlumber.

Comment

for tapping supplies:
                http://www.pollardwater.com
                http://www.usabluebook.com

Comment

There's alot of knowledge on this board. I enjoy reading it. I'll try to contribute when I can.

Thanks for the links wrench spinner

Comment

Used to tap live with a company I worked for. We made our own tap.

Comment

Working...
                    X