production cutting no-hub pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• production cutting no-hub pipe

does anyone know of a way to cut cast iron no-hub beside ratchet,chop saw, or scissor cutters for a fab shop

Re: production cutting no-hub pipe

Hammer?

Comment

About the only option left is cold chisel and hammer. I've been trying the diamond coated blades on c/i and found it much better than fiber blades. Only tried this right angle grinder so far, never on a chop saw.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

take c-4 and roll it up like a rope, wrap it around where you want the cut to be, make sure that the rope is no greater than say 1/2" diameter, dook up to detonator and fire in the hole!!!! Ben this wasnt G-17 was it? If so Ill remove it accordingly!

Seriously production cutting I'd say chop saw or a Demo saw with an abrasive blade. Anything else isnt really production.

Comment

Have you seen the snap machines made for your application?They're pricey.

How much do you need to cut?

Comment

We use our large bandsaw for prefab cutting. Plumber starts the saw and goes to work on something else. Perfect square cuts with nice smooth edges.

We put 1/2" thick rubber on the vice portion of the saw. Must be careful not to go crazy when clamping the pipe in the saw.

Comment

Big tile saw with a diamond blade would work... I use a slightly smaller version of this and it works very well

Comment

Any experience with a "Cold Saw"?

J.C.

Comment

They cost as much Rick's diamond bladed chainsaw and then some...

At 44 RPM I bet they take a while to cut but I bet it is a very clean cut....
                  Last edited by OkieBill; 09-24-2008, 07:18 PM.

Comment

I've seen them cutting tubular steel like butter on TV. It was weirdly amazing to me. Makes me want one.

J.C.

Comment

I have been getting fantastic results with a chop saw and a wet dry diamond blade ( I cut without water).

Comment

electric concrete saw with a general pupose blade cuts the hel# outa it fast and clean.

Comment

used to have a "wheeler rex" automatic hydraulic snap cutter.

i'll see if i can find the link.

rick.

http://www.wheelerrex.com/catalog/Wh...Catalog_07.htm
                          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-24-2008, 10:55 PM. Reason: link
                          phoebe it is

Comment

thanks all. I really like the c-4 idea but it could get messy instead I've got my tool guy working on a diamond blade and a demo from wheeler-rex. company I work for is buying a 4 axis plasma cutter for the fitters so maybe they'll spend a couple a bucks for their plumbers

Comment

I have to agree with the others as well Chop saw is prolly the fastest if you ask me,

Comment

Working...
                              X