Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turbulance

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
    Relax, no reason to start calling the engineer names and attacking him!!! Really take a deep breath and understand something, just like your license is on the line so is the engineers. He will want to research a product to make himself comfortable with it. I dont think that he is pissed of ILPlumber got the job he just hasnt worked with propress yet. There is always more than one way to do things your way isnt always the only right one!
    Good words from a good engineer. So far.

J.C.

Comment

Its the truth JC, I work with the guys and so do alot of other engineers, IF someone wants to do something that I dont know about and is only going to make their job easier... it is the contractors job to prove to the engineer that say propress is the right thing to do. The engineers job is to look out for the client and make sure they get the best possible job. Sharkbites have all of their certifications, perfectly legal in most communities. If ILplumber wanted to use sharkbites on the job would you just expect the engineer to say "OK, if that is what you want to do" or would you rather he say "This isnt what the plans call for so PROVE IT!"

Comment

I was skeptical of propress when we first started it in 2001 (ish). We do a lot of retro-fit work switching schools from galvanized to copper. We use propress in 2" and down and copper vic from 2.5" up. No torch work is allowed inside the building.

We have NEVER had a leak on a propress fitting. I bet we've installed maybe 4,000 of em. I'm sure he, like myself is skeptical at first glance. Maybe we will both grow from this experience. I hope to hear back from him next week.

On a side note, I have never been crazy about the looks of a 2" propress finished joint. IMO they look pretty crunched up. Don't leak though

Comment

Engineer called me back today. No on the pro-press

I'm bidding another office building. I submitted the question to the architect of whether or not PP would be an approved joining method. NO is what he instantly came back with

Is there an anti- PP trend starting or what the hell is going on??

I don't mind soldering but , dang PP is fast. And still looks professional.

Comment

They must no trust the O-ring seals.

If I take off my blinders I can see where if I spec a job for solder why would i settle for an inferior joint...

Yep, I said it Propress is an inferior joint compared to solder.

We can all say why a propress joint is ok to use but can we say why it is "Better" to use than solder???

Okie

Comment

architects and engineers are a pain in the -----how many jobs have u done where they spec what sounds good, and its not possible-----we have a very large project in motion thats at a stand still b/c the engineer and architect had a few major flaws that would be catastrophic if done that way-------but they know best, right--funny how it took a plumber to point it out

wrench-----yes, my way is the right way---and this thinking has taken me to my current spot--a very good one----sounds like he has some MORONS that dont like propress---probably old school guys that never had it save them in a pinch

propress is the best way to join copper and that is a fact

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                architects and engineers are a pain in the -----how many jobs have u done where they spec what sounds good, and its not possible-----we have a very large project in motion thats at a stand still b/c the engineer and architect had a few major flaws that would be catastrophic if done that way-------but they know best, right--funny how it took a plumber to point it out

wrench-----yes, my way is the right way---and this thinking has taken me to my current spot--a very good one----sounds like he has some MORONS that dont like propress---probably old school guys that never had it save them in a pinch

It has saved me in a pinch also but does that make it a better joint?

propress is the best way to join copper and that is a fact
                Provide the facts

-It is faster
                -A joint can be made wet
                -It is a durable joint that will last a long time

How is it BETTER in the things that engineers care about ( Mechanical strength and reliability / longevity of the joint )

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by ILPlumber View Post
                  Engineer called me back today. No on the pro-press

I'm bidding another office building. I submitted the question to the architect of whether or not PP would be an approved joining method. NO is what he instantly came back with

Is there an anti- PP trend starting or what the hell is going on??

I don't mind soldering but , dang PP is fast. And still looks professional.
                  What are his concerns, his job is to look out for the clients best interests. He is NOT doing his job if he is not allowing you to do just as good of a job at a lower cost to the client. Any further questions PM and Ill get you my info iF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO SPEAK WITH HIM.

Comment

What is the test failure pressure for ProPress joints? For hot & cold?

And what is the test failure pressure for typical 95/5 soldered joints? Hot & cold?

Anyone?

J.C.
                    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 10-01-2008, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                      What are his concerns, his job is to look out for the clients best interests. He is NOT doing his job if he is not allowing you to do just as good of a job at a lower cost to the client. Any further questions PM and Ill get you my info iF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO SPEAK WITH HIM.
                      I asked him what his concerns were and he told me it was an inferior product with suspect longevity and it would not be allowed period.

I let him know I was good with that and thanked him for his time. I will not pursue this matter any longer as I don't want to burn a bridge. Thank you for the offer though.

Comment

Personally I think the engineer is on the right track. It's going to take a lot of convincing to make me believe that that rubber O ring is not going to deteriorate over time. As far as turbulence goes, one local city plumbing inspector will not allow any pex other than Uponor due to the turbulence and restrictive nature of insert fittings.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X