csst

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• csst

did a retro fit in a three story seniors condo, back when the place was built they ran the galvy gas lines under the slab big no no, well one leaked so client asked me to figure out how to get the new lines from the meter outside to the furnace inside which sits in a closet in the middle of the unit. the furnaces are a small 3 in all 50 cfh each so we opened the first floor ceiling and to our relief trusses. and in the closet with the first floor furnace was the other two gas lines going to the second and third floor half inch galvy straight runs no joints. so we run three galv 3/4 lines from the three meters up the outside wall anchored with unistrut into the ceiling and convert to csst, we have metal bracing so we cut the unistrut the vertical distant from the top of the wood truss to the bottom and cut one side of the strut out about an 1 1/2 on the top and bottom and screw it vertically to the truss install our runs and brace the csst to the unistrurt with strut clamps 3 inches below the sub floor and 3 inches above the bottom plate of the truss and put our air test on. inspector shows up and says you know the problem with this stuff and i say tell me, and he says people think they can run this stuff with reckless abandon just throw it in and walk away and your supposed to be certified to install the product, i thought for a second and said herein lies the age old problem of being able to install a system safely and with no short cuts and to be able to go home at the end of it and not think twice about the job because you know that the all mighty dollar is great but more importantly you never ever compromise the safety of those that are left behind that live where you worked and innocently go about there day never realizing the importance of the job you just completed and probably never will. inspector liked what he saw and moved on and so did we.{the other two lines going up we hand threaded and made our connections} you know it never makes me feel good to do something right its what i expect from myself and nothing less.

Re: csst

years ago when csst first came out, i did a job in a house and the inspector was clueless. he asked me to deliver the installation manual to his office so he could review it.

after i did that, the job passed.

i think it's a great product as long as you know the proper ways to install and protect it.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      years ago when csst first came out, i did a job in a house and the inspector was clueless. he asked me to deliver the installation manual to his office so he could review it.

after i did that, the job passed.

i think it's a great product as long as you know the proper ways to install and protect it.

rick.
      Just after we moved into our house, my wife and I each smelled N gas at the M. bedroom, but never at the same time. Dec 30 at around 10pm my wife and I were laying in our bed reading the kids a story and my then 2.5 y.o daughter says whats that smell daddy? And we all 3 smelled N. gas!!!.

So I called PG&E and they sent a truck out, sure enough, leak in the gas line, just above their "acceptable leak" threshold and he shut us off (removed the real meter nipples/unions and put plugs on as well. He knew I was a plumber by the truck in the driveway next to the meter)

Call the "emergency" warranty number, called the number of the builders rep that gave us the keys and garage remotes, and waited in the cold house till morning. That particular Dec was in the 30's at night 2.5 y o, 3 month old. Needless to say New years eve, builder came out, got their plumber out and I helped him verify the leak, and I told him that I thought it was a baseboard nail thru the tracpipe drop to the fireplace, he told me they didn't use it, but I knew better because I snooped in the house as it was being built...Needless to say I was right. A week later they came and opened the wall and repaired the puncture(they were able to cap it in the attic on NYears eve) And as their plumber was getting the repair completed I asked about the safety plate. He brought back the standard 14ga. self nailer, I said no, as I opened the book and showed him the required one, he said I don't have any of those, good thing I did. I gave the guy a copy of the install instructions and told him to tell his boss to get the right protection plates before someone gets hurt.

Now I have a bathtub that is being replaced, damaged/repaired before the surround was installed. Supposed to get this scheduled Fri.

At leas they are taking care of all my problems thus far.

Greg

Comment

Great to hear your tub is getting corrected. Was wondering about that one.

J.C.

Comment

I personally have problems with this piping system, along with Gas-Tite or the Ward-Flex from years ago.

Before I go any further, I'm fully aware of how black iron gas lines are weakest at the threads, and under strain they can instantly snap off leaving danger in it's wake.

Black iron has a reputation primarily of seepage leaks, nothing really more than that. Rust-through on a SCH80 nipple takes years however and if it is buried in concrete without proper protection it can lead to various problems.

Aside from that, it's a durable system that works good in many applications, is resilient to puncture or kinking, won't get chewed by a dog and won't get holes in it during a lightning strike. You don't have to worry about hanging clothes with a clothes hanger on it without slowly degrading the plastic sheath and exposing the thin stainless steel corrugated ribs that are thinner than a sheet of card stock paper.

Having to ground this piping now because of lightning strikes can be quite difficult and costly assuming the application to get a ground wire to sections of this pipe. And it can be jeopardized from the go if the installer of the product uses anything but the recommended soap testing solution to check for leaks at the ends of these lines where the fittings join them together.

I get calls constantly for flexies behind stoves and dryers because of age. It's understood that CSST used in walls and ceilings doesn't get the same action, but consider this:

We all know the vibration that takes place in a home and too often I've seen copper water lines rub something sharp, drain lines get holes in them from years of rubbing against a nail or an incorrect way of strapping/holding up something not intended for the use it was designed for.

That plastic sheath on that piping gets brittle and comes off when exposed to sunlight, it gets to a dark yellow, almost orange.

Knowing what happened one post above this one, do you really think that product has the true benefit of safety included in its speed and efficiency factors? Me thinks not.

The "what if" scenario plays out, and someone can/could get seriously hurt. Not talking a water leak, talking flammable gas.

I've heard of dogs chewing on this pipe entering a gas valve on a water heater before. Heard of slow leaks from coat hangers being used to hang stuff on the line, corrosion leaks from using liquid soap detergent, accidental movement of objects that puncture/tear or cause a leak in the line, all because of its vulnerability to being thin.

I have 40' of this product ran with my name on it from 18 years ago, the product fit the need perfectly but I would give myself an F for the way it was installed; pulled through a crawl space around ductwork, no support whatsoever. Nothing else would work, black iron would of been in 3' increments with couplings over a 25' span.

No human can get to this line, no way. It was a large remodel job way back when and I still have the concern about the condition of that pipe. I'm probably off the hook for liability, but not in peace of mind for those who could be in harm's way.

Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Great to hear your tub is getting corrected. Was wondering about that one.

J.C.

will post pic's of their work. I am going to see if they will lower and offet (or let me)the shower head height to allow me to install a handshower and slide bar so the shower head height can grow as the kids do. It has been a slow go so far, it was really trying my patience and I was just about to write them a nasty letter and the guy called, and is supposed to call Fri and let me know if all the dominoes are in line...We'll see

Greg

Comment

Working...
            X