X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AnyOne Else plumb in a wacked state?

Is it just me or is NY state wacked on plumbing code.

Here is JUST one example and please feel free to share your example of your state:

Upstate NY: Black pipe is code on outside gas meters

Long Island, New York: Gal pipe is code outside,......

Come on for gawd's sake.......whats with this madness.......

Anyone else see codes like this in there state?
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Re: AnyOne Else plumb in a wacked state?

I'm surrounded by it. If I insulate a gas water heater to the top in one county I fail inspection. If I don't in another, I fail inspection. On and on. The worst thing they do is allow any county or city have another interpretation from the code.

Should be one and done.

J.C.

Comment

New York, where you need to be licensed in each county!! Some counties dont even require licenses, het Plumbing Skool how bout by you you guys need licenses? Ill bet even west Virginia requires a plumbing license!

Comment

Without question, I am thankful...we have the same code all over my state.

Comment

I plumb in a state that has a code heck, I even have a city inspector but that does not matter sometimes

Look up some of my posts ( almost all have pictures) ..

Most days I'm happy to see " almost up to code" because most days all I see is WTF were they thinking...

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
            I plumb in a state that has a code heck, I even have a city inspector but that does not matter sometimes

Look up some of my posts ( almost all have pictures) ..

Most days I'm happy to see " almost up to code" because most days all I see is WTF were they thinking...

Okie
            I was waitin' on you Bill. We all know you plumb in a "hacked" state.

J.C.

Comment

does long island still have you wipe a lead joint for your masters
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Florida's unified code doesn't seem so unified from county to county.
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                  does long island still have you wipe a lead joint for your masters
                  Ya, They still do that

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                  New York, where you need to be licensed in each county!! Some counties dont even require licenses, het Plumbing Skool how bout by you you guys need licenses? Ill bet even west Virginia requires a plumbing license!
                  Yes, Its crazy here, If you were to get "licensed" in Rochester you could NOT be licensed in Buffalo which is only an hour away ,

NYS is wacked
                  Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

Recent MIchigan plumbing law change set up a new licensing category-Contractor. So now we have the following: Contractor, Master Plumber, Journeyman Plumber.

OK now follow this closely it gets a little wacky but it was verified at the code/law update class.: Under the new law anyone can take the contractors licenseing test. It is mostly based upon business practices and some of the laws pertaining to construction and you do not have to be a plumber to obtain a Plumbing Contractors license. You still need to take tests for journeyman and Masters.

Now, in order to obtain a permit you must show a Plumbing Contractors License or be a homeowner. In many cases the Master plumber also has the contractors license so that is no problem. Every contractor must either be a MP or employ a MP. BUT (here it comes!!), while a Contractor can pull a permit and a homeowner can pull a permit, a Master Plumber cannot do so.

In other words the person with the most experience and knowledge regarding the trade (the MP) is not allowed to obtain the permit while the uninformed homeowner and the written test, no experience Contractor are allowed to pull them.

So that allows the homeowner to hire any jerk off the street to do the plumbing and then say he did it. It is still up to the inspector to check the work, but the MP is easily cut out of it. Same goes for the Contractor.

I know of a plumbing company that was recently formed by an investor with no plumbing background, who took the test and now holds the Contractor license. In that case they bought a few companies owned by MPs. But when the MPs are gone the new owner is still in the contracting business,legally, with no real knowledge of plumbing.

Is that wacky enough??

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post

Is that wacky enough??
                      Yes : That t0 wins the wacky plumbing board award

Its all just way to political there days , that's what it comes down too

Comment

Working...
                      X