X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frozen vent pipe roof termination

does anybody else have to deal with frozen plumbing vents?

if you do, what do you do to deal with it?

is there anything on the market to address this issue?

i've heard of a fix but i'm not sure it would work.

even these days we have to go on the roof at -40 below to dump hot water down the vent. this is especially important in the smaller communities where they all have septic tanks.

ever been in a house when all of the traps get pulled by the vaccum truck. the sweet smell of fermented poo.

not too good in the igloo when it smells like do-do.

Re: frozen vent pipe roof termination

what about putting a return bend on it so the wind wont affect it as much?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      what about putting a return bend on it so the wind wont affect it as much?

tried that. the wind is always howling here. the snow is finer than sand. and cpvc explodes in winter. i have witnessed first hand a little known phenomenom called the "snotcicle". i touched metal without a glove once. only once.

it was so frikk'in cold onetime, i was driving my ford f150 (a common practice up here is to block the rad. right off with a piece of cardboard. this is the only way we can run our vehicles), as i was driving, my engine cooled down to the point that i had to pull over and let the truck warm up.

i've thought about heat trace inside the vent. not a good idea in more ways than one.

a friend of mine suggested building a insulated box around it with the same size hole as the vent cut into the top. up here min. size for a plumbing vent for residentail is 4". i think his idea may have some merit because it would allow the vent to operate properly without getting hit directly by the wind. in would definatly fill with hore frost.

i did see at onetime years back a spring loaded vent termination that was designed to be installed inside the building. terribly expensive.

-40 f plus a 40mph wind. what's the wind chill factor on that?

yeah it's cold up here, but that's the way i like it.

Comment

You oversize the termination to prevent frost closure. But then again maybe you already do this. I don't have to deal with what you do.

Could you place a heat tape of sorts under the roof around the vent? Been told some of the newer ones are pretty reliable.

J.C.
        Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 09-25-2008, 08:45 PM.

Comment

aav in the attic, as much as i hate to hack it down that much that my be your best bet. (if you dont know vince an aav is an air admittance valve, like a spring loaded check valve homeowners use instead of regular vents.) they arent that much money here.

Comment

An AAV is about $20.00 here. Seems like alot for what you get. You still need one traditional through the roof vent no matter what as DWV is constantly exerting both positive & negative pressure.

J.C.

Comment

i've seen people try the little 1 1/2" cheater vents at each sink. the vaccum truck really pulls.

pooooo. didn't work.

this aav, does it come in 4"?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                i've seen people try the little 1 1/2" cheater vents at each sink. the vaccum truck really pulls.

pooooo. didn't work.

this aav, does it come in 4"?
                I know they make them in 3". The "Studor" company once made one called the "Maxi Vent" if I recall. The reason they probably require the 4" vent where you are is to combat the frost. The size doesn't make sense to carry the fixture load.

Some of the small AAV's are rated for 20 DFU's.

J.C.

Comment

here in canada the aav manufacter would be oatey but i would try putting heating cable around the vent.

Also have you tried putting in 6" or even 8" vents through the roof. Upsizing usually works petty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                    does anybody else have to deal with frozen plumbing vents?

if you do, what do you do to deal with it?

is there anything on the market to address this issue?

i've heard of a fix but i'm not sure it would work.

even these days we have to go on the roof at -40 below to dump hot water down the vent. this is especially important in the smaller communities where they all have septic tanks.

ever been in a house when all of the traps get pulled by the vaccum truck. the sweet smell of fermented poo.

not too good in the igloo when it smells like do-do.

State of Kentucky requires 3" VTR to remove the possibility of frost caps.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      I know they make them in 3". The "Studor" company once made one called the "Maxi Vent" if I recall. The reason they probably require the 4" vent where you are is to combat the frost. The size doesn't make sense to carry the fixture load.

Some of the small AAV's are rated for 20 DFU's.

J.C.
                      if i recall correctly jc, min size up here (based on alberta pumbing code) is 3". we must also increase the vent size by one pipe size. i.e.-3"verticle up to 6" below termination then increase 1 size up = 4" termination to prevent frost build-up or the ice-cap. just doesn't work.

i'm going to try the box with a hole in it this winter and keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
                      X