X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case Toilet Pics (FYI)

I thought I would post these just for folks to see...

I had never seen a Case toilet before, I had alot of fun learning this bugger today...

The part I'm holding is the flapper assembly.

Enjoy,

Okie

Re: Case Toilet Pics (FYI)

there about as much fun to work on then the american standard ventaways, the case 50 ballcocks, 62-8 used to give me headaches to work on when the ballcocks were still avaiable they were extremely expensive and very challenging to get to work right. the first one piece by case had a kidney shaped lid circa about 1930 and if i remember the ballcock was a t/n and the float ball looked like a pan and i belive that preceded the advent of the case ballcock sometimes in the 1920s, they also had a two piece model were the tank was secured to the bowl by one very large bolt. anyways good find and good history.

Comment

This bugger is the "Rube Goldberg" of toilets

I spent about 2hours tinkering with this tempermental jewel and consider it well spent learning time.

Comment

Had to say thanks for the update on this. Very educational pics for me. NO Case toilets around here that I'm aware of. But now I know a little about them and who to contact if I run into one.

J.C.

Comment

JC, I have 3 more in this house to repair if you want to try one...

Comment

Might take me 3hrs. And I might have to get some duct tape, a clotheshanger, and a piece of cork involved. After all it is Hacktown! We gotta' have the plumbing Olympics there.

J.C.

Comment

It would be more like the Plumbing Special Olympics here

Comment

Glad you found the right parts and it worked out for ya.

Comment

Could not have done it without ya Masterplumb, Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                    Could not have done it without ya Masterplumb, Thank you

Kinda' shows the help the net and this Forum can provide. Future plumbers have to know how to use the net.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Might take me 3hrs. And I might have to get some duct tape, a clotheshanger, and a piece of cork involved. After all it is Hacktown! We gotta' have the plumbing Olympics there.

J.C.
                      Now you understand the framing hammer in my service bag.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

i have a customer with 3 of these case wall hungs left in their house. plenty still around in floor mount.

i have a special seat wrench to remove and tighten the plastic seats they have. the regular allen wrench will just slip.

case has parts available by briggs now.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I had a Briggs that was just about that same color. The fill valve was set in a china passageway with only the top protruding above the waterline.

It was a floor mount and I was sure glad to see it go after about 30 years. I rebuilt it once and for the cost I could have bought a couple of new toilets. The original parts were plastic but the only thing I could get from Sexauer was brass. I still have a boxed trip lever and I think I still have a flapper for it. (Mine used an actual flapper rather than the old flush ball.)

Comment

There are a variety of websites giving info and selling parts for Case Toilets.
                            These sites give a run down on various models.
                            http://www.ferrythecat.com/case_toilet.htm
                            http://www.plumbingproducts.com/casetoilets.html

Comment

Ahem. They are common here in Memphis. I have a customer with three of the 1st year models (1925). Danco used to sell the plunger for it but they recently discontinued it.
                              I had to laugh when I saw this post. I took some pics last week of a Case 50 because I was having problems with it, so I was going to post it here for advice.
                              Problem: the tank ball won't fall correctly, it will hang up right on the rim of the flush valve seat. I generally use a Triple Seal 3" for these toilets. In fact, the old tb that I removed was just that. The old one was working fine until the threaded adapter ripped out of the top. All I did was replace the tb with the same and now it hangs up. (Usually not until after I've left the house). Last year I replaced the handle, linkage, lift wire and rebuilt the ballcock.
                              Finally, yesterday, I replaced the triple seal with a fluidmaster bulb that I've never used before. It appears to be working fine. Time will tell.
                              The first two pics are of this problem toilet. The last three are of the one mentioned in the first paragraph.
                              Attached Files
                              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X