X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collapse: When Structures Fail

This is on discovery right now and this episode is about the damage that infustructures took during the 911 bombing. It also showed the effect of a clogged steam condensate line that caused the line to blow up in NYC.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Collapse: When Structures Fail

I guess I can read about it.

J.C.

Comment

When I was a kid, I had to hold the coat hanger so the family could watch tv. What do you do JC?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Seems like I remember seeing this on the news. (The steam condensate line) Didn't it blow in the street?

Also, not to hijack or anything, when do the new watermains come online in N.Y.?

J.C.

Comment

It did blow in the street. I caught the show in the middle so I don't know if they covered that.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            When I was a kid, I had to hold the coat hanger so the family could watch tv. What do you do JC?
            Roof antennae. My grandma had rabbit ears with tinfoil to improve reception. Maybe I'll get up on the roof and wrap that baby up with a couple of rolls.

J.C.

Comment

Someone hit a watermain at UNC-Chapel Hill last year (I think) and it was blasting like 100' in the air with an excavator bucket sitting over it.

I do miss that show "Engineering Disasters." Saw the most amazing story ever on there when an oil company accidentally drilled into a salt mine.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Roof antennae. My grandma had rabbit ears with tinfoil to improve reception. Maybe I'll get up on the roof and wrap that baby up with a couple of rolls. J.C.
                A bit better than the old single coat hanger and this actually does work. #10 bare solid copper wire (if you have some around) is nicer to work with than cleaning the paint off old steel wire coat hangers.

The device he calls a transformer is <aka> a Bal-Un meaning balanced 300 Ohm input to 75 Ohm unbalanced output.
                Radio Shack #15-1140 should work for this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

Comment

Thanks Woussko but when I left the house, it seems my parents suddenly struck it rich as they all kind of new things every time I visit. I wonder if they were trying to tell me something?
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    This is on discovery right now and this episode is about the damage that infustructures took during the 911 bombing. It also showed the effect of a clogged steam condensate line that caused the line to blow up in NYC.

nobody BOMBED anything on 9/11. Let's not start that line of crap!

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                      The very real ConEd steam explosion a last year isn't a line of crap. it damaged several buildings, hurt about 50 people, and if I remember right closed a few square blocks for almost a week.

It has nothing to do with any kook theory.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                        Bombing-definition-
                        To attack, damage, or destroy with or as if with bombs.
                        v.intr.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Steam is probably one of the most dangerous things out there between pressure and temperature! Scary stuff to work with! Especially that high pressure stuff!

Comment

Working...
                          X