• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEX Again

Talking PEX again.

What PEX do you use?
    Why do you use it?
    What defects have you seen or heard about?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: PEX Again

We use Rehau.

The company is located in Europe and invented the stuff some thirty years ago.

Very supportive company. When we first opted to try it, we were on a restaurant project where we had designed a high purity water system to supply, several commercial steamers in two kitchens located on two levels. Normally we would run 316 stainless steel tube. However on this project the run was hundreds of feet which made it pricey. One of our suppliers was just starting to carry Pex. In fact they were one of the first distributors in the states.

Because of issues with the building department we contacted Rehau through there North American Operation which at the time was in Canada. What we needed was a sample of product so that we could do a flame test, smoke test etc.... with the city and county fire marshall not to mention the City plumbing and building inspectors. Our supplier had not yet received there first order.

Rehau stepped up the to the plate and overnighted us from Europe the samples we needed, plus all the documentation. That alone probably cost them a couple hundred bucks.

We had a meeting on the sight and the product passed with flying colors, plus we got the product approved for commercial use.

That was around nine years ago.

The only real issue you have with Pex tubing is the standard piping has no UV inhibitors, so if your in any type of sunlight or UV lighting it won't last that long.

We did a temporary drain on a project a few years ago with 1/2" pex. We finaled the drain with sch80, and left the pex in place. It lasted it about one year in sunlight. You could squezze it and it would break under your finger pressure.

Comment

Good to see the WaterSurgeon back. Always informing and appreciated.

J.C.

Comment

Would you use something else if it were available? Here, there are basically three types with one type of system.

And has anyone tried Lubrizols PEX? (Flowguard-Now owned by Lubrizol)

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Would you use something else if it were available? Here, there are basically three types with one type of system.

And has anyone tried Lubrizols PEX? (Flowguard-Now owned by Lubrizol)

J.C.

Damn did you sneeze?

These names to these forms of PEX are becoming more and more and MORE like varieties of ice cream and you can eat ice cream every damn day and still not know how many flavors really exist out there.

There's too many different ones now and you'd need a 40 hour class to figure out which one is working with the other.

Oh wait; I'm supposed to building a site with all this stuff so the average schmuck can try to figure out what they have, and don't have, and if it was installed correctly with the correct parts.

Do I sound slanted on this subject? Of course not.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Funny you mention ICE CREAM. Freudian slip?

J.C.

Comment

Water Surgeon, how do you use pex, I thought it was illegal in Cali? Did you need to get special certification? I'm also glad to see you back.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                Damn did you sneeze?

These names to these forms of PEX are becoming more and more and MORE like varieties of ice cream and you can eat ice cream every damn day and still not know how many flavors really exist out there.

There's too many different ones now and you'd need a 40 hour class to figure out which one is working with the other.

Oh wait; I'm supposed to building a site with all this stuff so the average schmuck can try to figure out what they have, and don't have, and if it was installed correctly with the correct parts.

Do I sound slanted on this subject? Of course not.
                And now Lubrizol/Flowguard has flexible CPVC.

J.C.

Comment

Don't forget all of the different methods of joining PEX either! Viega Pureflow, Murray Crimp Rings, Zurn Quickclamps, ASTM Copper Rings, Watts, CPI, Nibco...

I would be interested to learn if there is a preferred method folks are using there also!

Comment

Pex went legal Jan 1 in Cali (Per westcoast).

Comment

I have just used Watts and Wirsbo, Wirsbo is the easiest in tight places, Watts is fine just like all the otheres, nothing really special. I just used what my supply houses carry!

Comment

I just use what's available. I've seen no failures, period. If it were available, I'd probably choose Wirsbo. Since I don't do new construction anymore, many of my jobs involve either a couple of small pieces or maybe a couple of feet of pipe. Example: yesterday, I replaced a tub valve with a tub & shower and I also replaced an old globe valve with a ball valve. Originals were circa 1930's. About 3' of 1/2" PEX to connect the tub valve, L copper on the shower and spout. Maybe six inches of 3/4" PEX to connect the ball valve. Originally, it had galvy on one side and a copper MIP on the other side with no dielectric.

Comment

Working...
                        X