Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

instantaneous hotwater heaters; worth it?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• instantaneous hotwater heaters; worth it?

i just wanted to see want you guys thinks of these little water heaters. do they save money? how efficient are they? your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Re: instantaneous hotwater heaters; worth it?

This has kind of been beat to death a little. dissected, re-dissected, put together again then dissected...50 times
    Brew a pot of coffee, make some popcorn, and do a search on tankless water heaters. you're in for one heck of a read
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
      This has kind of been beat to death a little. dissected, re-dissected, put together again then dissected...50 times
      Brew a pot of coffee, make some popcorn, and do a search on tankless water heaters. you're in for one heck of a read
      am i going to be sorry i brought it up?

Comment

Yes, very sorry indeed

Hell, you're so far north the delta t on the incoming water would only bring the temp up to about 65
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Yes, very sorry indeed

Hell, you're so far north the delta t on the incoming water would only bring the temp up to about 65
          65 degrees? You have to convert that to Celcius for us hosers
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

maybe i'll explain a little more.

up here, electricity is generated by diesel engines. this makes for very expensive power bills.

electric water heaters are almost unheard of around here. the people that do own them make the people that don't scratch their heads.

everythng is either brought up by barge, ship, cat train, or is flown in. expensive to live up here? you bet. we like this way.

transportation costs are only increasing given the recent hike in gas prices. ie; heating fuel $1.31/L or $5.30/gal, 4L (about 1 gal) of milk is between $12-$14. 1 can of good old Coka-Cola is $2.50

so you can see why i'm looking at other alternatives to saving energy. i realize these little heaters are electric.

i just don't like the idea of the hot water tank firing up when the ks is in use. i also think about having to run the hw side for an good 15 sec before there's hot water at the tap.

the current set-up is a waste of water and energy. especially during the coldest months of the year.

catch my drift?

Comment

Vince

Are you using engine water jacket and exhaust heat for heating buildings up there? A large stationary Diesel or natural gas engines makes lots of heat. It may as well be put to use rather than just wasted.

When you say "Instantaneous Water Heater" do you mean the tiny ones that mount under a kitchen sink and let you have HOT not hot water for cooking and instant hot beverages? If you mean a tankless whole house water heater, look out as there are several threads and things got really heated up.
              Last edited by Woussko; 09-27-2008, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Only worth it if you add in the savings of installing it yourself.
                A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  Vince

Are you using engine water jacket and exhaust heat for heating buildings up there? A large stationary Diesel or natural gas engines makes lots of heat. It may as well be put to use rather than just wasted.

When you say "Instantaneous Water Heater" do you mean the tiny ones that mount under a kitchen sink and let you have HOT not hot water for cooking and instant hot beverages? If you mean a tankless whole house water heater, look out as there are several threads and things got really heated up.
                  -it's funny you mention the "heat recovery" system they just installed last year. works great for the few commercial building that receive it. the entire town of Inuvik in the NWT is heated from waste heat.

-i'm looking for info on the little WH that install under the sink. what was the original reasoning for the invention of it?

i know they save water because you don't have to wait. but are they worth the extra expense to save a little bit of (cold) hot water?

Comment

The little under the sink type make very hot water for beverage use and some cooking needs. They are not for washing dishes or paws. TOO HOTTT ... That's unless you use blending of cold water. It can be done but the main idea is if you want a cup of coco, instant coffee or tea and you want it NOW rather than having to heat up water.

Maybe this web site will help some
                    http://insinkerator.com/dispensers/index.shtml
                    Last edited by Woussko; 09-28-2008, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                      The little under the sink type make very hot water for beverage use and some cooking needs. They are not for washing dishes or paws. TOO HOTTT
                      I don't think he's talking about the hi-temp models. They make several "normal temp" choices of point of use H/W with small tanks or no tanks with restricted flow that run on 110V. They were invented for commercial bathrooms that do not require H/W other than at the sink or sinks.

Here it doesn't make sense to install them in a residential application. Cost, savings, installation, performance, etc. usually don't add up. But who knows up in "Neverland"?

J.C.

Comment

Vince, what you could do is to bring the water into an 80 gallon, un-insulated tank before it hits the water heater. That would let room temperature bring the water up a bit and improve the delta t.
                        sigpic

Comment

u need a grundfos comfort system to keep ur hot water hot----it is a recirc pump that is installed on the outlet of hot water tank and a little valve at furthest branch---i sell tons of them---they use the cold line as a recirc line, due to 1 way check valve in valve----

they work---try it---look up grundfos comfort system--i use model up15

Comment

Working...
                          X