X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pex rumour

I heard a rumour from an inspector the other day that apparently that someone might be making or already makes plastic crimp rings for pex. Is this true?

Re: Pex rumour

I havent heard anything about plastic rings but have seen plastic fittings at the supply house. They said that they have sold hardly any.....

Comment

Is he getting it confused with the wirsbo expansion rings?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Is he getting it confused with the wirsbo expansion rings?
        Plastic rings are for Aquapex expansion type connections it's made by Uponor.
        ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Come on guys - give me some credit here - I ain't stupid, nor are my inspectors. He is talking about PLASTIC CRIMP RINGS, yes, PLASTIC.

I can tell you that there is one pex installation I am proud of. It's when I'm using Rehau Raupex UV barrier red & blue pex pipe, with the Rehau everloc system, supports at the proper locations going through plates and studs (PC & IC clips) to reduce stress on the joints, and with open plastic 90 degree support bends at required locations where you might have previously used 90's. Perfectly drilled, studs or joists so when you pull the pipe it looks straight and it all is parallel with each other as well as you don't scrape the crap out of it when pulling it, and you have a pretty damn good looking installation as well as the fact that you know it will last a long time because the pipe is protected & supported properly. Yes this is an expensive version of the pex system but it's only seen in about 2-5% of installations, where it is done properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott K View Post
            I heard a rumour from an inspector the other day that apparently that someone might be making or already makes plastic crimp rings for pex. Is this true?
            i ran into these today. ironic? i think not.

these are on a 3/4" PEX line the guys had to due last year during the big freeze.

i don't have alot of experience with pex. but i am learning.

sorry about the quality. i'm still trying to learn how to use my camera.
            Attached Files

Comment

Vince, don't you have a big freeze EVERY year?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                i ran into these today. ironic? i think not.

these are on a 3/4" PEX line the guys had to due last year during the big freeze.

i don't have alot of experience with pex. but i am learning.

sorry about the quality. i'm still trying to learn how to use my camera.

Nope - that's not what I'm talking about but thanks for the Pics. That is the Wirsbo/Uponor system that you picture. Those white rings you picture are put onto the end of the Wirsbo pex, and then you insert the Expanding tool into the pipe and expand it and then quickly insert the fitting into the pipe and the ring slowly shrinks the pipe around the fitting.

What I'm talking about is take your standard pex crimp ring that you would use on Bow Superpex or similar with a set of crimpers, and now it's plastic. That's the rumour I heard about.

Comment

I'm pretty sure we're one step away from garden hose fastened with hose clamps.
                  I'm already honing my pitch to homeowners:
                  "Well yes Mr Smith..I only use the highest quality garden hose with industrial strength clamps on my work."

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    I'm pretty sure we're one step away from garden hose fastened with hose clamps.
                    I'm already honing my pitch to homeowners:
                    "Well yes Mr Smith..I only use the highest quality garden hose with industrial strength clamps on my work."

No joke we re piped a whole basement that the H.O did with garden hose and extension cords so he could sell the place.

Comment

Here's an interesting tidbit, speaking of gear clamps & garden hose. I have used, successfully and on multiple occassions, Wirsbo fittings & rings, to repair rubber hoses, as opposed to those gear clamp repair coupling sets they sell at HD. I tried this after getting and sick and tired of waiting for the boss one day to get me a gear clamp to repair a leaky hose (that we use for testing). So I said, might as well try it out and see if it'll work.

And it works great, and the nice thing about it is when you're pulling the Wirsbo repaired hose around to test various systems, you don't have to worry about a gear clamp catching somewhere or cutting your or coming lose somehow.

Comment

I don't think that plastic crimp rings would work. I think the inspector saw the expansion product and thought it was a crimp ring.
                        ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Here's an interesting tidbit, speaking of gear clamps & garden hose. I have used, successfully and on multiple occassions, Wirsbo fittings & rings, to repair rubber hoses, as opposed to those gear clamp repair coupling sets they sell at HD. I tried this after getting and sick and tired of waiting for the boss one day to get me a gear clamp to repair a leaky hose (that we use for testing). So I said, might as well try it out and see if it'll work.

And it works great, and the nice thing about it is when you're pulling the Wirsbo repaired hose around to test various systems, you don't have to worry about a gear clamp catching somewhere or cutting your or coming lose somehow.
                          Test rigs, the best thing for them belive it or not a sharkbite. Reusable and fast/non destructive.

Comment

Originally posted by eddiegoodfellar View Post
                            I havent heard anything about plastic rings but have seen plastic fittings at the supply house. They said that they have sold hardly any.....
                            They had that already in NC and some other states years ago and then we got paid to rip all that crap out and replace it with copper

I doubt that, How would you crimp it? .....with heat?
                            Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                            New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
                              I don't think that plastic crimp rings would work. I think the inspector saw the expansion product and thought it was a crimp ring.
                              Like I said - he said PLASTIC - CRIMP - RINGS. He's not stupid, he wasn't born yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X