Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sebastopol Man puts code manuals on line, free!

Thanks Tool

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      Let's remember the "KING" here is not the Government it is the Organization which develops and promote the Codes. How do you plan to fund these Organizations once you take their income away? I guess we could have them become a Federal Agency as we all know how well the Feds run things.

If you have ever purchased a book or movie of any kind you understand the price of producing the media has little to do with the cost of producing the information.

Mark
      I belive they could quit rewriting the code every three years and plumbing will still work great. They are publishers and only make money by selling new books. 99% doesn't need to change. New product listings are about the only thing needed to adress. You can put the ADA code into that relm also. What a joke! At some point they should say "that will cover it, we're pretty much done!".

Comment

BLESS YOU BIRD MAN! My exact thoughts! I work 6 days most weeks. I pay ,I pay, I pay.
        We all do. Now those FAT BASTURDS IN WASHINGTON beat all of us for another $6000
        each. $125.00 for a little paperback? Just more FAT GLOYBIEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        WHERE'S MY SIG MOMMA ???????
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
          I belive they could quit rewriting the code every three years and plumbing will still work great. They are publishers and only make money by selling new books. 99% doesn't need to change. New product listings are about the only thing needed to adress. You can put the ADA code into that relm also. What a joke! At some point they should say "that will cover it, we're pretty much done!".
          The primary reason you have a livelyhood is code enforcement.

There are already several states that allow DIY plumbing for homeowners, gas even.

Pretty soon the term "plumber" will be associated with the words:
          What a joke!

You have a point, but I think you might have chosen your words a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            BLESS YOU BIRD MAN! My exact thoughts! I work 6 days most weeks. I pay ,I pay, I pay.
            We all do. Now those FAT BASTURDS IN WASHINGTON beat all of us for another $6000
            each. $125.00 for a little paperback? Just more FAT GLOYBIEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            WHERE'S MY SIG MOMMA ???????
            Whats a "gloybiest"?

Comment

code books are legal documents.

i remember my instructor telling us that he was teaching us to read and interpet the legal jibber-jabber, much like a lawer is taught.

personally, i don't think i could be persuaded to use a free code book on-line. it's too easy to change the wording or numbers.

here's a simple example; we know as seasoned tradesmen that a T&P must be installed within the top 6" of the heating vessel. whether by accident or on purpose, it would be easy to change the "6" to a "16". how would joe public know the difference? hhhmmmm.

i would think that for $125.00, they (both governments)could at least produce it in binder form with removable pages for code revisions. a one time regristration fee for licensed tradespeople with automatic updates. it is after all, our governments responsibility to keep the public safe from fly-by-nighters. this is why they get paid the big bucks.

just my thoughts.

Comment

[QUOTE= DuckButter Whats a "gloybiest"?

WEEEEL Mr. webster Says " lobbyist with an extra 50 lbs of pork around the mid section!

I'll male it EZ BARNEY FRANK
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I think code enforcement if a must! The petty changes could go. I think the ADA is 100 times worse. At some point it is "good enough". Every year they dream up something new to justify their jobs, have paid out of town meetings and conventions at the tax payer expence, for less than 1% of the population. Sorry for the rant.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
                    I'm not as familiar with the ADA Fed. Code as some. But from what I've seen it can be a redundant nightmare. On the other hand, think of the nightmare of being in a wheelchair.

The plumbing code should be universal, adaptable, & with a tendency to be left alone at this point. What magical things should be added/removed?

Publishers have been doing this BS for years. I have a 2 yr. degree in another field and couldn't afford (or probably too cheap ) the $50.00-$100.00 books for all the classes. So I tracked down the books previous edition in the library. I sat beside others that bought the new books. They were almost word for word exactly the same. Once in a while there would be an addtional sentence in a paragraph that might need to be copied in notes.

This was the case every time.

J.C.
                    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 10-07-2008, 09:06 PM.

Comment

I may be completely wrong, so tell me to shut-up if I am.

I agree with the fact that these books could be updated without the expense of buying a whole new book, sure.

BUT

You subscribe to the code updates so that you can change out your old pages for the updated ones. What if you don't get them, or better yet what if someone out there doesn't want to get them? I can see some scenario where a person could take advantage of people who don't know the system. "look right here...we CAN do it this way. It says so right here in my up-to-date loose leaf binder."

We all know that people are not always honest. I could see some scumbag plumber plumbing a house and whipping out his (outdated) codebook and arguing with the inspector about how something can be done.

Isn't it just easier to have a book, bound and published with big identifiable marking saying "This is the current standard!"

If access to the codes is the problem and some guy down the street wants to plumb his own house without forking over the big bucks ($65 is what I paid for the "illustrated guide") then point him to the nearest library where he can have access to it for free. I did that for damn near a year until I bought a copy.

Some of you guys say "what could change?" "...Good enough."

PEX is kinda new right? A lot of plumbers don't use pex am I wrong? almost every plumber where I am uses pex for everything. "let's just solder a pex ftg on the end of that and run pex from there" is common in this part of colorado. and almost every plumber runs new houses in pex, but after reading some of these posts I am led to believe that some still don't use it. I'm getting sidetract though.

Someone look up the pex supporting distances between the 2003 and the 2006 IPC. I also wonder who has read the OTHER book "Summary of changes between the 2003 and 2006 IPC." There are tons of changes in there some are stupid like "public restrooms with more than one urinal require partitions" but I'm guessing some are usefull.

anyway...if you make it to the end of this then sorry for babbling.

Comment

Write, You bring a lot to the table, I hope to see Your thoughts more often here.

We are taxed to death ,at every turn! This Man is a Saint. Who else is looking out for Us,
                        CONGRESS?

Comment

Long time no see everyone...Here's a couple more sites for nation wide codes etc...
                          http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/

and for CA specific.
                          http://public.resource.org/bsc.ca.gov/

Not sure if these are the same sites tool mentioned, but thought I'd put it out there.

Hope everyone is hangin' in there with this economy.

Peace,

Greg

Comment

Good to see You back Greg. Hope all is well.

Thanks for the 2 sites. The hogs will howel,not getting f$$d

Comment

The is no mystery or magic to reading the adopted codes for NJ, they are all online and I have posted the links to them many times.

www.state.nj.us/dca/codes

Here's another link to a site with municipal codes for 22 states:

http://www.generalcode.com/webcode2.html

BTW: Glad you could drop in Greg, hope all is well with you and yours.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                                Unfortunatly most code books are copywrited and can not be copied, or reproduced without permission. Hell, if you could get it all on line it would put the PHCC out of business.
                                Umm i could be wrong but i dont think you can copywrite a public document like codes. what they sell you are the codes printed out for you in a book. so your paying for the printing and not the content.

Comment

Working...
                                X