Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sebastopol Man puts code manuals on line, free!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sebastopol Man puts code manuals on line, free!

Originally posted by Arthur96 View Post
    Umm i could be wrong but i dont think you can copywrite a public document like codes. what they sell you are the codes printed out for you in a book. so your paying for the printing and not the content.
    The problem come when the code language is included by reference in the law or statute such as here (NJ) has adopted the ICC Fuel Gas Code. They don't write their own code, they have adopted the ICC code and have stricken some sections and replaced them with their own language specific to NJ. The IFGC contains the familiar copyright statement you find in most documents of this type; "no part of this document can be reproduced in any form or we will take your first born ya-da, ya-da, ya-da..."
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

oh i understand that however still it's a public doc no? i mean these are the instructions on how we build our nation its for the public ALL the public. not unless we have a few million peeps living in mud and grass huts (lol) and they don't benefit at all from this.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur96 View Post
        oh i understand that however still it's a public doc no? i mean these are the instructions on how we build our nation its for the public ALL the public. not unless we have a few million peeps living in mud and grass huts (lol) and they don't benefit at all from this.
        I agree that the laws, statutes, and codes should all be accessible and free. I think most places give you that in one form or another, either online now-a-days or by placing copies in libraries or available for review in local government offices. And for a fee you can get printed copies. I have our state building code and subscribe to get the updates. The update subscription cost only $5 less than a complete new binder, but you get the updates as they come out through the year. So every couple years I get a complete new copy and subscribe for the updates in between.

ANSI, AWS, ASTM, NFPA, PHCC, ASSE, they all restrict the reproduction of their works. The NFPA is probably strictest of the bunch. Try and find a copy of the NEC anywhere w/o paying for it.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          The NFPA is probably strictest of the bunch. Try and find a copy of the NEC anywhere w/o paying for it.
          check your local library, some of the smaller branches may not have them but the main one will.

I agree the codes should be free access, the customer should be able to read up on what you or I, are installing in their building/house. Most codes inspectors are a joke. I have had fire inspectors call me to find the answers to code questions and where to find things in the NFPA code books.

G3

Comment

This Has been tested,not to worry! Read up on this GREAT AMERICAN.

Do You think the cops are coming to Your home? Get real.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I guess as public records it is legal for him to post these. However, I have to wonder if it is a good thing or a bad thing for us to take them. There are tens of thousands of people who volunteer their time to produce this information and their soul source of income to be able to promote the Codes is selling the Code Books.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

All our Govt. agency's are ripping Us little folks day in day out ! We're being bled dry!

If we can keep a little more Money ,good for US
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  All our Govt. agency's are ripping Us little folks day in day out ! We're being bled dry!

If we can keep a little more Money ,good for US
                  The problem with your argument is ICC and UPC are not Government Agencies.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark,code books are a small piece of the pie!
                    In the past two years Carl Malamud has copied over 80 million pages for us.
                    Sorry, Carl is a hero to a lot of grateful folks beside Me.

Comment

Working...
                    X