X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Back Problems - toilet jack?

Just teasing as I know you took your lovely wife out on the town tonight. We can wait for you to post when you are ready.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

mark, you were suppose to tease this thread, not me

here is the lift, minus the toilet.

the dolly is a 3 wheeler and very maneuverable.

the lift is a hydraulic bottle jack.

the gripper is the 2 flat padded bars that catch the toilet under the rim front and rear. the adjusting screw is used for the proper tilt/ balance of the toilet.

once you hook the rim, you then pump up the jack. once lifted, you can adjust the balance and move it off the bolts.

to lower you just slowly release the jack via the bleed screw.

i don't use it anymore as i've mastered the 1pc. lift and install myself.

rick.

Attached Files
      phoebe it is

Comment

That seems like it would save my back for sure, Thanks for posting the picture Rick!
        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Saysflushable
          Say Herk do you use that all the time or just for 1 piece toilets? I'm about sick of lifting and setting toilets useing my back.
          I use the truck whenever I'm swapping a toilet. When I'm installing, I usually bolt down the bowl first, then add the tank, so I don't use it for setting, just for hauling them around when they're bolted together.

It works well on stairs since I added the larger wheels. The smaller wheels it originally had allowed the steel skids to catch on steps and lots of near-accidents. The skid's corner actually stuck out past the wheel. But the bigger wheels eliminated that.

I use a piece of cord looped around the ends of the two bars to keep them from spreading too much.

Comment

Thanks for the great pictures, Rick. I'm talking to my company, and they may be interested in purchasing one for me or reimbursing me for buying one. They buy us winches to get drain cleaning machines in and out of our trucks, so this seemed like a logical purchase for them. I may also make my own, but I lack a welder.

Comment

the design is pretty simple. i would eliminate the hydraulic bottle jack and substitute a course screw/ acme thread to raise and lower the unit. the bottle jack is an overkill for the 100# it lifts.

there are simpler ways to lift a toilet and set it without this jack. i haven't used mine in at least 4 years.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I have been working on a toilet lifting device for my own use and found this site in searching for existing products. Is there a market for a toilet lifting device? What would you pay? What critical functions should the device do?

Comment

Originally posted by Maxthehandyman View Post
                  I have been working on a toilet lifting device for my own use and found this site in searching for existing products. Is there a market for a toilet lifting device? What would you pay? What critical functions should the device do?

Comment

max, i would say don't waste too much time and money on a toilet lift. i bought this one from the trade show floor and only used it a handfull of times. there are easy ways to lift and install a 1 pc. toilet.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Since I am tall..I just sling any toilet to the side of my hip, and carry it out that way. I think it's much easier that way..and saves the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        Since I am tall..I just sling any toilet to the side of my hip, and carry it out that way. I think it's much easier that way..and saves the back.

That's what I still do too. I just wonder how much longer I can do it. At 45 years old I have to wonder though.

Comment

Im going to turn 50 and still do what has to be done with no problems
                          But having the boy around is a real back saver
                          We share all the work
                          I am more than glad to have him with me

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                            Im going to turn 50 and still do what has to be done with no problems
                            But having the boy around is a real back saver
                            We share all the work
                            I am more than glad to have him with me
                            Cherish those moments, as I cherish every day that I get to work with my dad. There is nothing like getting in the truck with him in the morning if we are taking 1 truck, and hearing him "b*tch" the whole way to the job. I'll miss that one day.

Comment

Max, I'm always looking for another gadget or tool to make life better/easier in some way. While lifting toilets sucks, one must consider the room the toilet jack uses up in a truck. Our trade is a physical one as everyone here knows; if you can't pick up a toilet, you probably can't handle a shovel too long, jack hammer or saw cut a concrete floor, etc.. Like someone said, you have to be careful about how you lift, technique is just as important as strength. If I set 50 toilets a day, I might change my tune and make room in the truck!

Comment

For me it is not the back, it's the knees. I put in a lot of Kohler Cimarron one-piece toilets by holding them to my chest with the tank draped over one shoulder. They are balanced well and I can even go up the stairs with them. But afterwards my knees give me hell.

And I agree, the hard part is centering the toilet over the flange and bolts. I put a piece of 3/8 lav supply over the bolts. It helps me line things up and then I just pull them out.
                                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X