X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Problems - toilet jack?

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've posted, but it's nice to see some of the regulars still here. I assume that very few of us do not have the occasional extreme pain in our backs and knees from our work. I try to work smart and safe and lift well and all that crap, but another one of those one piece toilets pulled my back out again - a Kohler on top of it. I've seen the pipe-tytes tt-100 and toilet master jack, but I never imagined $300 + shipping. Is there anything else out there, or have you made something that you would be willing to share with the rest of us for lifting and transporting toilets? Or...should I just save up and buy one of those? They sure seem like they could speed up the process (comments are welcome on this, too). Thank you for taking the time to read my post

Re: Back Problems - toilet jack?

or you can buy mine

i actually have probably the one and only hydraulic toilet lifter the guy ever sold. i bought it right from the floor of the trade show at least 10 years ago.

it does work great for 1 pc.toilets. but it's something i don't use anymore. i have a easier way to lift and reinstall 1 pc. toilets now.

i'll have to take a photo during the day and post it

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I set three one piece toilets the other day, and had to carry two of them out of the box up the stairs with my chin resting in the tank. Thank God I still have a strong back and core. I cant wait to see the gizmo you use now. The worst part of the actual setting of the toilet is sometimes not being able to see the bolt holes while you painfully lower it onto the closet bolts. Every once in a while I have to do the two point landing, and I worry about the wax seal. Keith
      The Plumber Protects the Health of the Nation

Comment

Didn't we have a poster here that just used some scrap pieces of 2" pvc and roll the toilet into place then carefully remove them?

Comment

I do a lot of drain cleaning and service, so I am constantly removing toilets and putting them back. We have a total lack of clean outs in the greater Cincinnati area. I have used that pipe tytes tt-100 once (hotel maintenance had one) and I liked it. But, it seems pricey. If anyone has one, is it worth it? I would be interested in Rick's, but now I'm curious to see what he's cooked up on his own. I'm also looking to see if these things help to make the job go faster. I do like the j-bolt line-up things on the master jack, but I use j-bolts with thin "helper washers" that hold them in place, so I don't really need them.

Comment

I use the wheeler Johni-Cart. I had to remodel it a bit with larger wheels and a sash cord to hold the ends of the support pipes together, but it's lightweight, folds, and is effortless except for pulling a toilet upstairs. I don't know for sure if they still manufacture it. Here's a link:

Johni-Cart

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
              I use the wheeler Johni-Cart. I had to remodel it a bit with larger wheels and a sash cord to hold the ends of the support pipes together, but it's lightweight, folds, and is effortless except for pulling a toilet upstairs. I don't know for sure if they still manufacture it. Here's a link:

Johni-Cart

That thing does look kind of handy. I'm talking about the cart not the Bidet . We already know how great bidets are!!!
              Say Herk do you use that all the time or just for 1 piece toilets? I'm about sick of lifting and setting toilets useing my back.

Comment

Let me get this straight toilet suits in the US come in one peace and the cistern is not bolted to the pan and cannot be separated as in Australia.

Tony

Comment

Now that looks like a tool that would save you back for sure, I wish I would have known about that when I was doing like 2 finishes a day.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                    Let me get this straight toilet suits in the US come in one peace and the cistern is not bolted to the pan and cannot be separated as in Australia.

Tony
                    Uh...I'm not familiar with some of your terms there. cistern=tank? pan=bowl? But, I think your asking if we "only" have one piece toilets over here. No, we have two piece and one piece. And the one piece variety cannot be separated. One piece toilets are not very common in my area "Greater Cincinnati". I'd say less than 1% of my customers have one. Servicing them can be a nightmare, but that is a topic for another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Theron View Post
                      Uh...I'm not familiar with some of your terms there. cistern=tank? pan=bowl? But, I think your asking if we "only" have one piece toilets over here. No, we have two piece and one piece. And the one piece variety cannot be separated. One piece toilets are not very common in my area "Greater Cincinnati". I'd say less than 1% of my customers have one. Servicing them can be a nightmare, but that is a topic for another thread.
                      Yes a cistern=bowl and a tank=pan and you would have to be Arnold Schwarzengger to lift then together thank God I am not in that situation as my back is bad enough without it.

Tony

Comment

bump - rick did you have something you were going to post or did I misread your post. Thanks

Comment

i have to take the photo of my lift.

tomorrow

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            i have to take the photo of my lift.

tomorrow

rick.
                            All talk no action?

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

tick - tick - tick - tick - tick
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X