Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting a nipple

hello ya'll. been busy.havent been around,
    i was told buy a plumber, that a nipple can be threaded a 1/2 inch longer,and the first 1/2 inch can be cut off.
    i am flabbergasted,, i thought that the nipples threads were tapered
    and that they would not work any othe way. i think the word is
    chamfered have i been wrong for 30 years?
    sigpic
    30+ years as a plumber
    6 years in the Air Force

Re: cutting a nipple

One of my more prized tools is a Ridgid 819 nippple chuck. IMO one of the best in the arsenal. Where some people get their ideas I'll never know.

Comment

I hope I understand what your saying.

Yes,you can run an entire length through your machine and then leave the last full tapered section.Everything off the top end is just the smallest diameter making it a straight thread.Or are you looking at something different.I'm trippin' on this.
      Last edited by drtyhands; 09-28-2008, 08:08 AM.

Comment

(maybe I don't understand) Why not just cut it right ?

Comment

that was my first question, the "plumber" is on the diynetwork forum a jbm or jmd something ki\like that. the answer made no sence to me at all, i was freaked that anyone would cut the first threads off a nipple to make it work.
          just go get the right nipple. but i am not a super plumber, i do not know everything, that is why i asked if ya'll have ever heard of somebody cutting the
          tapered threads off a nipple. thanks for ya'lls in put
          sigpic
          30+ years as a plumber
          6 years in the Air Force

Comment

First of all I have never tryed this, but I remember reading something once on making a emergency nipple chuck, by using a coupling (merchant), and another short piece of pipe, to chuck up and the way I remember reading was to cut about 1/2" off the coupling to hold the nipple to be threaded, (clearance for the threader), now may be the idea here was to cut the thread long on the pipe to hold the nipple in a coupling to be able to thread the other end, and then cut off the additional length so the threads were the correct length. after ti was all threaded,

the other purpose may be to keep the nipple from jamming and getting so tight that one can not unscrew it, so it would jam or hit the other pipe, that is in the coupling that is working as a chuck, the question I would ask is why thread the holder pipe long?
            http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/arc...php/t-713.html
            tkb02-26-2005, 08:05 AM
            Thanks guys,
            I didn't think I could make nipples with a 600 or 700, but I thought I would ask.
            You never know of a trick that someone else has come up with.
            I have tried to put the nipple in a coupling, but it drives the nipple into the couping and you can't get it out without damage to the nipple.
            imported_Bob D.02-26-2005, 08:44 AM
            Cut a long thread on a scrap piece of pipe and screw the coupling on farther than normal. Then when you screw your nipple into the coupling it will bottom out on the other nipple, and not get jammed in the coupling.
            but all would be depending on the length of nipples and type of machine one was cutting on,
            Last edited by BHD; 09-01-2009, 09:54 AM.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Before I got the 819, Take a thread protector , pipe , don't ream , cut a running thread about 3/8 shy of the length of the thread protector. run it home. Works on 1/2 to 2 ". You can't get as short as the 819, but it covers a lot of ground.

Comment

You can cut short nipples using a homemade nipple chuck as described, with a piece of pipe with a long thread into a 'thread protector. Just reverse the dies in a head so you can run it up close to the coupling. The trick is keeping the thread straight.

But then, why would you need to? It's easier to buy them.

Comment

This is a common question/problem. I know i don't alwasy run to the hardware store everytime I need something.....Here is a article on how to cut a threaded bolt...maybe that would help?.?

http://mymilescity.com/how-to-miscel...u_threads.html

Here is a video about it as well.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW4Gg08GGFw
                  Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
                  I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
                  My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

Originally posted by LuciKnows View Post
                    This is a common question/problem. I know i don't alwasy run to the hardware store everytime I need something.....Here is a article on how to cut a threaded bolt...maybe that would help?.?

http://mymilescity.com/how-to-miscel...u_threads.html

Thanks, but I think most of us have cut ready rod before, we know the follies of the "nubbin".
                    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

In a pinch, the home made nipple chuck will work fine. I've fabbed one myself on more then one 1/2" brass nipple that I couldn't tighten enough to get a flush fit on a shower trim piece. However, a store bought chuck is the way to go if you require more than an occasional custom cut nipple.

Comment

Originally posted by LuciKnows View Post

this was a joke right??
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I just lost 3:15 of my life. That nubbin will get ya every time.
                          Last edited by Tyman; 01-24-2009, 10:09 PM.
                          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Working...
                          X