• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumbing education?

Sounds like Minnesota's exam is close to ours
    sigpic

Comment

Please, don't get me started....As for testing or certification for plumbers in CA. C-36 contractors, yes. Hands on plumbers, no. Why? Beats the hell out of me. But, it's a political football. In the early '90's they tried to float a bill, but it got stuck before it could gain momentum due to an obligatory union-nonunion pissing contest. The electricians finally have gotten certification in CA. But, their program has been fraught with troubles. Now, I think they've finally worked out the kinks, but there's no word when the plumbers will follow suit. From my perspective, testing and certification would be great. Right now, anyone, and I mean anyone, can throw plumbing into the ground or in/on the wall and no one gives a good god damn. Like everything else, we diverse the laws we do or don't get.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        here is my take on it. at least this is how it's in calif.

50% of the contractors test is based on business law. same test for any contractor trade here. the other 50% is based on your actual trade.

so therefore even though we might know all there is to the trade. each state has different business laws.

rick.
        I think being a Journeyman is different from being a Licensed contractor. As I see it, A Journeyman is an "employee" of a contractor. The contractor runs the business, in addition to (hopefully having Journeman level experience) needs to know the law for executing contracts, liens, labor laws, etc. To get your license for plumbing, electrician, whatever you just need somebody who is "qualified" to sign off saying you have 4 years of Journeyman experience in that trade and then pass the exam(trade/law). I have been told is a different ball of wax for getting a Journeyman card.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
          Please, don't get me started....As for testing or certification for plumbers in CA. C-36 contractors, yes. Hands on plumbers, no. Why? Beats the hell out of me. But, it's a political football. In the early '90's they tried to float a bill, but it got stuck before it could gain momentum due to an obligatory union-nonunion pissing contest. The electricians finally have gotten certification in CA. But, their program has been fraught with troubles. Now, I think they've finally worked out the kinks, but there's no word when the plumbers will follow suit. From my perspective, testing and certification would be great. Right now, anyone, and I mean anyone, can throw plumbing into the ground or in/on the wall and no one gives a good god damn. Like everything else, we diverse the laws we do or don't get.
          So what you're saying is...it's really easy to be a licensed Master Plumber in California? If that's correct, I figure it would be much harder in California with all of the laws you have out there. Jersey is probably one of the toughest on the East Coast, not sure about other places around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            So what you're saying is...it's really easy to be a licensed Master Plumber in California? If that's correct, I figure it would be much harder in California with all of the laws you have out there. Jersey is probably one of the toughest on the East Coast, not sure about other places around here.
            Its easy to be a licensed Plumbing contractor, I am not a plumber and I could pass the test if I were to take one of them weekend cram session classes.

Comment

[QUOTE=Scott K;178940]I'm curious if you could tell me how your certification/plumbing education works where you live?

Your Plumbing ticket in Canada is based on the National Plumbing Code of Canada which is what you learn from and write part of your final exam on. So when I get my Plumbing ticket I get what's called an Inter-Provincial Red Seal which certifies me as a Plumber across Canada in all Provinces. Every Province in Canada has their own Provincial plumbing code, BUT this provincial code is basically the national code with local amendments (usually dealing with environmental conditions) and the National Code has become so good as of the last revision, that there are now very few revisions in each Province which helps simplify things. But there are some cities which also have their own sort of "adjustments" or interpretations of the code which you kinda learn as you go and are usually in most cases not that big of a deal, just inspector preferences or authority having jurisdiction type things.

In the Province I live in, we have 3 Gas Tickets - A, B, & C. I don't know too much about a 'C' ticket other then its got a fair amount of restrictions on what you can do, but a B Gas ticket which is what I have lets me work in a strong majority of gas appliances/systems - basically everything you will find in residential, most commercial and industrial applications, etc up to such and such BTU's and/or appliance vent types. 'A' Gas Fitters are certified to work on everything and are usually used for exceptional systems with huge load requirements and industrial type stuff. I'm told the 'A' Gas ticket exam has a 50% failure rate and requires a lot of math/formula knowledge and quite a bit of night school if you want to take it, but I'm told A Gas fitters can make huge $$$ and there's not all that many of them where I live.

Yes the only civilized way is to have a National Plumbing and Building Code which we have in Australia and I now see Canada also has instead of having to apply for a new license in every state one crosses into is ridicules.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                Its easy to be a licensed Plumbing contractor, I am not a plumber and I could pass the test if I were to take one of them weekend cram session classes.
                Beavis
                Not knowing you personally, I can't judge your mental competence. But, that is a buthead statement. How the hell do you know you can pass a test you have never seen? I've been doing plumbing since the '60's and running a business since the mid '70's, but I could not look in the mirror and make such a boast. I'll grant that you probably could do as you say. But, absolutes with vague or no supporting documentation are BS.

As for a proper test, I think there should be two. One based on construction law and the other on the state plumbing code, a good example of which is the IAPMO plumbing inspector certification test. You pass that baby and you can boast that you know more than a little about plumbing.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                  Probably depends on the state. Some you would pass. Some you would fail miserably.

J.C.

Comment

Masterbeavis was specifically talking about passing the California test and I agree with him 100%. Pick up a study book, read it over the weekend and pass it no problem. It really was that easy.

Could you do that in some other states, states such as Minnesota. Not a chance in hell would you pass like that.

California is what it is and there is no denying it. Anyone can be a plumber in California. Sign off that you have four years experience and take the test. Do they even verify your experience? Not from what I remember they don't.

I'm not picking on California. I lived there and was a licensed plumber there for many years. I do miss it sometimes, especially when it's 40 below zero here! But then again I couldn't be ice fishing and catching Walleye's all winter.

Comment

There's more to being a plumbing contractor than passing a test. How about passing inspection in a city like San Francisco, where most of the plumbing inspectors have gone through a 5 year apprenticeship and have laid miles of pipe. No cutting corners there, even for the Chinese, (if they bother to pull a permit).

Comment

Beavis
                        Not knowing you personally, I can't judge your mental competence. But, that is a buthead statement. How the hell do you know you can pass a test you have never seen? I've been doing plumbing since the '60's and running a business since the mid '70's, but I could not look in the mirror and make such a boast. I'll grant that you probably could do as you say. But, absolutes with vague or no supporting documentation are BS.

As for a proper test, I think there should be two. One based on construction law and the other on the state plumbing code, a good example of which is the IAPMO plumbing inspector certification test. You pass that baby and you can boast that you know more than a little about plumbing.
                        This is the test for being a Licensed Plumbing Contractor not a Journeyman Plumber. Anyone can memorize answers on a subject they know little about. The test is multiple choice, people taking these classes go back to the class after the test and tell what questions were on the test.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Probably depends on the state. Some you would pass. Some you would fail miserably.

J.C.
                        Our test for being a contractor is multiple choice. No idea about the test for being a Master Plumber or a Journeyman.

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                        Masterbeavis was specifically talking about passing the California test and I agree with him 100%. Pick up a study book, read it over the weekend and pass it no problem. It really was that easy.

Could you do that in some other states, states such as Minnesota. Not a chance in hell would you pass like that.

California is what it is and there is no denying it. Anyone can be a plumber in California. Sign off that you have four years experience and take the test. Do they even verify your experience? Not from what I remember they don't.

I am surprised how easy it is honestly, I know of a few people who should have been shot on site for even being in the trades, they are that shady.

There's more to being a plumbing contractor than passing a test. How about passing inspection in a city like San Francisco, where most of the plumbing inspectors have gone through a 5 year apprenticeship and have laid miles of pipe. No cutting corners there, even for the Chinese, (if they bother to pull a permit).
                        I did not say I could be a "proper" contractor, I merely stated I could pass the test if I memorized the answers at one of those weekend schools. I know I would get chewed up, spit out and eaten alive if I tried to pose as a real plumber on a jobsite where my work will get scrutinized. I don't like being embarrassed, it is hard enough to embarrass myself without intentionally setting myself up for bigtime fail.

Comment

"I did not say I could be a "proper" contractor, I merely stated I could pass the test if I memorized the answers at one of those weekend schools. I know I would get chewed up, spit out and eaten alive if I tried to pose as a real plumber on a jobsite where my work will get scrutinized. I don't like being embarrassed, it is hard enough to embarrass myself without intentionally setting myself up for bigtime fail."

Point well taken. Judging from what I see on the road, it's kinda like the driver's test. Then again, a good portion of the SAT test is also multiple choice.
                          I wish the state would institute a journeyman's certificate w/test. The electricians have such and it would be a real help in the plumbing QC dept.

Comment

Havent talked to my cousin yet who recently got his electricians journeyman cert.

but his brother told me that he flew in (here to hawaii) from las vegas studied for 3 days, took and passed the hawaii test, and went back to vegas.
                            He is now moving back here to hawaii to get into that trade. previously he was an accountant in vegas doing side jobs with his dad who runs a small electrician company.

from what my younger cousin said, he said the his brother had a answer sheet and just memorized the answers to pass the test.

I have an IT background (information technology) and have several big computer certs. There are answer sheets out there that are word for word as the tests.
                            I just didnt know there was that sort of information out there on the internet for the Trades services, or atleast the electricians, not sure if there is one for the plumbers.

Comment

Working...
                            X