X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flood Prevention

Awhile back, I went on a semi-emergency service call to restore water to the kitchen sink that had just burst and caused (in my estimation) 50-60k worth of damage in this client's vacation home in St Helena. Got them back online as the de-watering was going on, and now I hear they are going to bite the bullet and take this opportunity to do a somewhat extensive remodel to this property.

The question that has been asked of me is.

What can be done to prevent the catastropic leak that caused this damage to begin with(damage was a broken faucet supply looking to be integral to the faucet, but not certainly. 3/8 braided stainless w/ plastic john guest fittings integral to the stainless supply. John guest fitting held, plastic fitting sheared whrere the stainless met the plastic.) Aside from eliminating plastic connectors, using ridgid supplies, intelliflow washing machine connection, or the failure prone flood-safe supplies(which I have had numerous calls out to repair/replace due to failure.)

Is there a product out there similar to the whole house gas EFV's, or just the WATT'S products above? This particular client is now, rightfully so, very scared of a catastrophic flood at both the main home and the vacation home, and wants some feedback as to options.

I am leaning towards recommending to her the little added expense of using ridgid faucet, and toilet supplies, and possibly installing a intelliflow at the washing machine. I don't think that shutting off the water when they are away is an option (landscaping, and possibly fire sprinkler.)

Any of you know of any other products designed to prevent this sort of damage?

Thanks for the read, and responses in advance,

Greg

Re: Flood Prevention

Why not just shut everything off after the Irrigation/Fire sprinkler, set it up so that there is one ball Valve, that way everything inside the house is isolated and can be shut down, so if something does happen minimal damage. Is there freeze up danger, or can everything be shut down without drain down?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      Why not just shut everything off after the Irrigation/Fire sprinkler, set it up so that there is one ball Valve, that way everything inside the house is isolated and can be shut down, so if something does happen minimal damage. Is there freeze up danger, or can everything be shut down without drain down?
      don't forget to shut the hot water tank down.

Comment

there is a product called the "burstbuster 2000" that i have for washing machines and water heaters. i know they make them for toilets and for sinks.

these are great for fixtures. they have a small alarm panel with a water sensor that sits on the floor. there is an electric solenoid valve at the water lines. when water hits the sensor plate, the valves close.

there is also a manual green (open) and red (close) button that allows to override the automatic operation. this is great for an unaccessible washing machine valve.

they also have alarm outputs that can wire into a home security system.

when activated the valves shut and the alarm will sound. to restore you have to dry the sensor and push the green button.

what you really need is a whole house shut off. the burstbuster 2000 is great for out of the way fixtures like water heaters in basements and problem prone fixtures like a washing machine. i don't think you want to install a dozen of these units in all the fixtures.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

There are numerous water detector systems which place a small sensor in locations like inside the cabinet, under the WM, etc. They are linked by wires...or wireless, to an alarm. The better ones use electrically operated valves to shut off the water.

The best idea I have seen was a system which sensed total flow at your main entrance. It used a microprocessor circuit to decide that you had a slow flow, but it lasted to long to be just the faucet, or a large flow indicating a major leak...and it shuts off the main. Supposedly the system "learned" your usage patterns, to minimize nuisance shut off.

Last I heard from them, they were trying to line up distributors, and I have not seen them on the web lately, so I don't know if it is actually available. But there are a number of the leak detector systems. Google.

Comment

Working...
          X