X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensed Plumbers getting Lazy!!!

I saw something on saturday that made me sick.. I know time is money but still.... I wish I had a camera. I was working with my father setting some float switches and checking the alarms on a large commercial Septic System we just finished for a BRAND NEW COMMERCIAL building, summer residence for golf course help. anyway there water heaters were 2 Noritz 240k BTU tanklesses, these were fed off of 3/4", Gas-Tite CSST!!! Ok not only is the line too small but the CSST was run straight, as in 30' straight run, all they would have needed is a coupling, all accessable, once they got to the heaters they switched to black pipe? I dont get it why use CSST?!? Too lazy to cut one Thread!!!! Things like this make me sick!

Re: Licensed Plumbers getting Lazy!!!

How did this make it by inspection? 480k btu/h on 3/4 csst? was it elevated pressure?

Crazy.

Comment

I dont think it was inspected yet, the meter was not in place, but still!? The inspector shouldnt have to catch it!

Comment

i hope that 3/4'' csst was on medium pressure.

480,000 btu's will never work on low pressure.

once again another example of people installing a tankless that are clueless.

time to move west. we have the tankless police here

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

This reminds me of a story I told here last summer.
          Pool installer decided to skip the plumber and ran 90 feet of 1/2" CSST from the meter to a 400Kbtu heater.

As for lazy plumbers...YUP.
          Too many noodleheads buying into the "new & improved" plumbing products, barely giving any thought to the possibility that they aren't saving a dime.
          I'd LOVE to hear how that inspection goes.

Comment

Hey if I could go and bust up a concrete floor and install a shower pan 10 miles away by just sitting on my couch, I'd do it!

(goes 10 miles away to go and bust up a concrete floor and install a shower pan, dreaming of sitting on my couch)
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
              I saw something on saturday that made me sick.. I know time is money but still.... I wish I had a camera. I was working with my father setting some float switches and checking the alarms on a large commercial Septic System we just finished for a BRAND NEW COMMERCIAL building, summer residence for golf course help. anyway there water heaters were 2 Noritz 240k BTU tanklesses, these were fed off of 3/4", Gas-Tite CSST!!! Ok not only is the line too small but the CSST was run straight, as in 30' straight run, all they would have needed is a coupling, all accessable, once they got to the heaters they switched to black pipe? I dont get it why use CSST?!? Too lazy to cut one Thread!!!! Things like this make me sick!
              Maybe this is one of those companies that have 1 license and 10 people "working" under that license. In other words, just sending out labor that doesn't know what they're doing.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Maybe this is one of those companies that have 1 license and 10 people "working" under that license. In other words, just sending out labor that doesn't know what they're doing.

J.C.
                You just described the last company I worked for, and a major reason that I left on my own.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

would have to get out the book to know if it was sized right, but don't knock the plumber just yet! Couldn't CSST have been spec'd by architect/engineer that got lunch and maybe a t'shirt from CSST mfg rep?

Maybe? We Hope? For the greater benefit of the trade.

Comment

here is a link to gastite csst sizing charts for natural gas.

we use the first table here. less than .5 psi with less than a .5 wc drop.

http://www.gastite.com/page.php?pg=s...s&idlink=link6

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by MPMGinAL View Post
                      would have to get out the book to know if it was sized right, but don't knock the plumber just yet! Couldn't CSST have been spec'd by architect/engineer that got lunch and maybe a t'shirt from CSST mfg rep?

Maybe? We Hope? For the greater benefit of the trade.
                      No dice, I saw the prints because we bid the whole job, inside bldg and outside building went to 2 different contractors, we got the outside of the building contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                        You just described the last company I worked for, and a major reason that I left on my own.
                        Maybe we had this chat...
                        He also described the very last shop I worked for, I got disgusted running back to jobs dealing with pissed off GC's & homeowners to repair or replace the constant f-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          Maybe we had this chat...
                          He also described the very last shop I worked for, I got disgusted running back to jobs dealing with pissed off GC's & homeowners to repair or replace the constant f-ups.
                          I feel very lucky then taht in the shops I worked at I was taught to put pride in my work and do things the right way without cutting corners. I guess that is the benefit of smaller family businesses.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                            I feel very lucky then taht in the shops I worked at I was taught to put pride in my work and do things the right way without cutting corners. I guess that is the benefit of smaller family businesses.
                            That one shop was relatively isolated experience, I'd seen minor degree's of it elsewhere but never to this extent.

When I did commercial, the guys were almost exclusivley old timers, NO corners were cut...there was a hint of "depression era" plumbing in that company.

Comment

if we don't take pride in our workmanship, then we're not professionals.

pride in our work is what separates us from the monkey wrenchers.

when it all boils right down to it, they always end up calling in the pros.

Comment

Working...
                              X