Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lightning Strike? ( Pics)

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    Be carefull...You don't want to get into litigation with Warner Bros.
    Had a guy who put his invention on a pair of reebok in a marketing photo.It took them about two weeks to find him and make him aware of his encroachment.
    Yea, they will probably confiscate my truck, better to leave Buggs out of it.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      Be carefull...You don't want to get into litigation with Warner Bros.
      Had a guy who put his invention on a pair of reebok in a marketing photo.It took them about two weeks to find him and make him aware of his encroachment.
      Not to mention the royalties currently owed to the Norman Rockwell people.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Not to mention the royalties currently owed to the Norman Rockwell people.

J.C.

Comment

Geez, I can't do anything right,
          Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

As to the lighting thing, I had to work on a house that got hit by lighting, but we knew it because it hit the hose bib, it had to strike somewhere so I would look at anything and everything for damage. Bad thing though we had every joint in the place (a 8 unit apartment house) springing leaks for weeks, we said re pipe but the owner didn't want to pay so we kept fixing everything till it stopped, I still hate that house and think it may start leaking again someday.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Only in Hacktown.

No dresser couplings please.

J.C.
              we use a coupling up by "Sclair" for our water services.

they're made out of brass and require a sleeve inside the plastic service pipe to stop it from collapsing when the compression nut is tighened. there is also a screw to lock the compression nut in place. they also work extremely well on copper.

i realize what your dealing with is another ball of wax. we install them underground, but they are protected by a pipe chase.

we do have buildings up here with slabs, but all of the mech. is run above.

more useless info brought to you by Vince the plumber.

Comment

bill, how long do you suppose this has been leaking?

it looks like it was spraying down from the hole in the dirt.

also the errosion of the copper took months to get this big. this didn't happen overnight.

i would love to see their water bill for the last few months.

it could be anything from a metal piece in the soil that was in contact, flux that settled in the line, a small dent that was in the tubing.

what did the rest of the section look like?

hot water? return line? age?

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                  Devine, think before you speak:

http://www.wal-rich.com/Online_Catalog/Dresser03.pdf

Dresser series 88, you want to read that and revise your post accordingly?
                  One of his biggest problems is the fact that he's unlicensed & working illegally.
                  Most "real" world plumbers won't associate with someone like this for the obvious reasons.

This kinda cuts off communications with other pro's & professional organizations.
                  Many have found the internet a better solution to find the info they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                    Ahhhhhh, so there is a dresser available for copper. I don't think I'll be using one any time soon. I only have 500K in insurance, but thats enough for a drain cleaner. Speaking of which, I just bought an old ambulance last week. I don't need as big of a truck as I have just to carry around a few drain cleaners. I will post pictures as soon as I have it lettered. Drain MD. Wait until you see the big picture of Buggs Bunny with a carrot saying "Ehhh, Whats up, Doc?"
                    If you really intend to HONESTLY go legit..I'll cut my crap with the comments. (well...barring the usual wizecracks)
                    I trust by your tag line that you're being honest here.

Comment

Relative to Bills topic...
                      In him saying he didn't clean the pipe, I have to guess it was knicked when originally backfilled.
                      There's no outward sign of galvanic reaction from exposure to another type of metal...the pipe was probably hit with a shovel or rock, then finally eroded from the inside out.

Comment

Rick, The customer has only been in the house for the last 3 months , So they do not really have a good baseline for water usage. ( The home sat empty for the previous 6-8 months)

This line is original and is 50-55 years old

Once I went looking a majority of this house is sitting on wet soil (Damp soil 12-18 feet away from the houses foundation areas that are shaded actually have moss growing on them due to all of the moisture. The house is about 6000 sqft.

The owners thought the moisture was from the sprinkler system when they bought the house.

This house is shaped like a square with a large courtyard in the middle Each corner of the square has a bathroom one has the kitchen. I believe the damaged line is the main waterline

The line is in fantastic shape otherwise, The backfill material had alot of river rock pebbles in it ( pea size). ( The more I think about it the more I think this is the root of the problem).

I had to dig the line out but most of the fines had been washed away.

Duck: I'm still amazed by how clean (shiny) the damaged piece of copper is that I cutout . Makes me think that there was some weird localized Ph issue.

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          If you really intend to HONESTLY go legit..I'll cut my crap with the comments. (well...barring the usual wizecracks)
                          I trust by your tag line that you're being honest here.

If he is being honest, then why is his website still up? www.devineplumbing.com
                          The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
                            If he is being honest, then why is his website still up? www.devineplumbing.com
                            Excellent question....care to elaborate Doug?

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                              I would use a heater hose from a car with a couple of hose clamps. Any good plumber knows you can't use a dresser coupling on copper, due to the fact that it is the wrong OD pipe size. Dresser couplings can only be used on galvanized and PVC. Good lucking making that temporary fix on copper with a dresser coupling. You might try a Quest coupling or some SHARKBITE fittings, if you don't know how to solder.
                              NOW YOU SHOW YOUR LACK OF PLUMBING
                              KNOWLEDGE, I HAVE USED DRESSER COUPLINGS
                              ON COPPER LONG BEFORE THEY CAME OUT WITH PRO-PRESS OR SHARK BITE FITTINGS
                              JERRYMAC
                              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                bill, how long do you suppose this has been leaking?

it looks like it was spraying down from the hole in the dirt.

also the errosion of the copper took months to get this big. this didn't happen overnight.

i would love to see their water bill for the last few months.

it could be anything from a metal piece in the soil that was in contact, flux that settled in the line, a small dent that was in the tubing.

what did the rest of the section look like?

hot water? return line? age?

rick.
                                Rick is right, I was most likely a mineral or small piece of metal in the original backfill that ate thru the copper. After the leak started it sprayed out of the hole and eroded the copper away making it look star shaped.
                                Wow you guys are showing a lot of animosity on this thread. Come on can't we all just get along? If you want to make fun of someone go to "ask the experts" and make fun of the programmers, analysts and GC's that ask all those silly stupid questions of us REAL plumbers.
                                ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                                X