Lightning Strike? ( Pics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lightning Strike? ( Pics)

I have seen this type of hole before but due to the weather in our area, it's difficult to make an association with lightning. It was most likely a small rock that was up against the pipe. Inspectors in our neck of the woods require a sand backfill or dirt free of debris that can cause this. In one particular area of the city (Bel Air) the ground can be so rocky that we have received permission to use six foot lengths of 1" foam insulation in lieu of sand.

Comment

Welcome LA Local.
      Give us a call we're always in your neighbohood.
      Adam

Comment

Saw something similar, but it was due to steel braid heat tape having been wrapped around the copper pipe. Looked about the same.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
          Rick is right, I was most likely a mineral or small piece of metal in the original backfill that ate thru the copper. After the leak started it sprayed out of the hole and eroded the copper away making it look star shaped.
          Wow you guys are showing a lot of animosity on this thread. Come on can't we all just get along? If you want to make fun of someone go to "ask the experts" and make fun of the programmers, analysts and GC's that ask all those silly stupid questions of us REAL plumbers.
          Well lets not get ahead of ourselves here.Our new member from Hawaii,Winslow stated the same thing three pages ago on post 20.

Who says the squeekiest wheel doesn't get the most oil.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Well lets not get ahead of ourselves here.Our new member from Hawaii,Winslow stated the same thing three pages ago on post 20.

Who says the squeekiest wheel doesn't get the most oil.
            You meant post #17 right Adam

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
              You meant post #17 right Adam
              Oh....How could I be so blind
              Why,yes of course,yours too

Anybody else feeling left out

How are you today Spinner?

Comment

bored out of my gourd buddy............ the missus isnt feeling well, i was in the basement of an old commercial shopping center today that was nasty taking measurement to retrofit backflows for the fire and domestic services. i have to figure out how to fit 8" double detectors in no room whatsoever!!

Comment

I feel left out.....

I'll even claim Westcoast since my mom is in San Bernardino

Comment

Wrench are you doing your own drawing (Autocad)? I found it helped me with spatial orientation issues though I only do residental and very light commericial now.

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                      I feel left out.....

I'll even claim Westcoast since my mom is in San Bernardino
                      Well shoot then,I guess you could be considered an absentee neighbor.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                        Wrench are you doing your own drawing (Autocad)? I found it helped me with spatial orientation issues though I only do residental and very light commericial now.

Okie
                        Yeah I am doing all the deisgn, applications NYCDEP is a PITA and a real stickler for everything....

Comment

bored out of my gourd buddy............ the missus isnt feeling well, i was in the basement of an old commercial shopping center today that was nasty taking measurement to retrofit backflows for the fire and domestic services. i have to figure out how to fit 8" double detectors in no room whatsoever!!
                          Would you going out and getting her some chicken noodle soup help
                          Sorry,hope she feels better.

You on the other hand...Getchur butt in gear and do what you do best and solve this thing.
                          Dig down and core a hole at a slight angle after you radar/X-ray.Weld the flanges down there to keep the hole to it's minimum.
                          Just kidding... I have no idea what the logistics are

Comment

I need to fit an 8" Watts double Check, 75" with 2 flanges 48" apart! I need to redesign the sprinkler connections, the domestic will be easy, the fire not so much!! and it is SOOOO noasty in there, 2 of the basements are for restaurants. I am doing my homework now.. and Oh yes I did bring home chicken soup!

Comment

It was many moons ago, but I once installed a 2ft bury, the water line was copper, it had a brass compression adapter on the end, connected to a galvanized street ell, and into the bottom of the riser (I said it was a long time ago!). There was electric conduit in the area going to a receptacle on a nearby tree. In 3 weeks electrolysis had leached a whole in the street ell as big as the one in OkieBills copper.
                              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I need to fit an 8" Watts double Check, 75" with 2 flanges 48" apart! I need to redesign the sprinkler connections, the domestic will be easy, the fire not so much!! and it is SOOOO noasty in there, 2 of the basements are for restaurants. I am doing my homework now.. and Oh yes I did bring home chicken soup!
                                Good man!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X