X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laser thermometers-are they useful?

i was thinking about buying one for general use.

what are your thoughts?

Re: laser thermometers-are they useful?

Yeah, everytime I see Alton Brown use one on "Good Eats" I think I'll get one too.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

i use one to check ceiling registers to see if the cooling or heat is on or to check pipe temp or to see how hot the roof is before i go on it and to see how hot the girls that are walking past us

they work well
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I own a Raytek MX2 which I use on a regular basis. Mine has settings for different material types as that will effect the temp but it may be overkill for most.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The farther you get away from the object being measured the more of an average temperature of the area you get...

Think of the measuring area as a cone the closer you are the more percise it is.

I never did find them any more useful than a good contact digital thermometer (IMO)

Okie

Comment

I used one on an ex-friends yacht to watch the temperature variation between the two thrust bearings on the prop drives while he was trying to get it ready for some time out on "The Big Lake".The one I was using(don't remember the name,7 years ago) worked quite well.I could see if one or another was raising within a degree from about a foot away.I imagine they can read farther.

CAP THAT RICK!!!

Comment

I use mine for HVAC all the time.
              sigpic

Comment

We had a customer call complaining of some squeaking in a wall that we knew we ran some plastic (CPVC 636) Boiler venting in (from a condensing boiler). I knew why it was squeaking but wanted to locate the pipe. I remember telling the contractor quite vividly that he had to fir the wall out to accomodate us running this boiler vent in this wall or the drywall would be pushed out a little bit. Anyways we had to figure out where to cut so I pointed the thermometer at the wall after inducing the boiler to fire up and found the exact location of the vent. Anyways, as I suspected their drywall was right up against it so it was on their dime.

Comment

I had a client who thought he had a slab leak. No water was coming above the floor but the floor felt slightly warm. I used my laser thermometer and found a spot which was 15 degrees warmer than the rest of the floor. The next day I had a DT crew out there with my electronic leak locating equipment and found a pin hole in a piece of 1/2" cooper almost 3' below the slab. The thermometer was within 6" of the actual leak.

Mark

Comment

Vince, all of the examples given so far could be accomplished with a
                    contact digital thermometer with the exception of not being able to reach that pesky vaulted ceiling register ( Which is why I own one).

If ya just want to have one and you have a few bucks you just have to spend they are great fun

Otherwise save your money

Comment

here's for you adam

when i clear drains on an upper floor, i make sure that the line is running free on the lower floors.

i have the owner run hot water from the drain upstairs and i shoot my laser at the overhead piping in the garage to make sure that it's flowing and not backing up on the other floors.

works great at the distances so i don't have to climb a ladder and feel.

i can also tell what line is what based on the heat of the pipe.

top that adam

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        I had a client who thought he had a slab leak. No water was coming above the floor but the floor felt slightly warm. I used my laser thermometer and found a spot which was 15 degrees warmer than the rest of the floor. The next day I had a DT crew out there with my electronic leak locating equipment and found a pin hole in a piece of 1/2" cooper almost 3' below the slab. The thermometer was within 6" of the actual leak.

Mark
                        Pardon my ignorance, what is that?

Greg

Comment

5 Years ago,I jacked up one side of our slab on grade home, after installing helicals Ineeded to drill 2" holes in slab to pump fly ash grout. My $300, then, raytek raynger ST located all the old 3/8" copper radiant pipes. Other uses- at the race track Ferriers use it to see if one hoof is hotter,first sign of disease. great to check large equept. radiators,blocked cores.
                          Balancing hvac. My grandsons had a ball with this, hit the stove, freezer, kats butt You name it!

TWO MORE GOOD USES run the lazer on each circuit breaker in a Elec. Service panel. Hot breaker? change it out!
                          Mine can hook to lap top. In a factory 3 phase 15 H.P. moters are common. You shoot the bearing ends on the motors perotically
                          Hot cup? change it out early
                          Last edited by toolaholic; 10-02-2008, 11:56 PM.
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                            Pardon my ignorance, what is that?

Greg
                            As an Expert Witness I no longer do the physical part of plumbing. The DT Crew is a construction crew which is used on "Destructive Testing" to open and repair floors, ceilings, walls and what not so that I can document evidence. Generally speaking they are trained to remove things in layers so they do not destroy the evidence I am documenting.

Mark

Comment

They work great for freezeups if its 36 degrees its still water, if its 26 deg you know where its frozen. The cat loves it too she still hasn't caught it yet.
                              WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                              ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

Working...
                              X