Crawl Hole from HELL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crawl Hole from HELL

Seen worse as I'm sure many have. I've had to crawl between floor joists to solder a leak before. about 4" from the bottom of the floor joist to the ground. You're right, you have to relax when you get a little stuck.

J.C.

Comment

I spent four hours down in hell hole yesterday. The space I had to work was so tight I could hardly take a breath. Next time I'm bidding higher, thirty dollars an hour does not cover that kind of misery.

Comment

Originally posted by bacskcah View Post
        I spent four hours down in hell hole yesterday. The space I had to work was so tight I could hardly take a breath. Next time I'm bidding higher, thirty dollars an hour does not cover that kind of misery.
        How do you come up with that number?
        Is this a side job?

Comment

Originally posted by bacskcah View Post
          4 hours in a super-tight miserable crawlspace!!! Thats going to cost at least $600 in labor to get my butt down in there.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            Did a job in a crawlspace very similar to that about 6 months ago.

I ran a little over 30' of 2" for a laundry drain all supported & pitched, then cut into 4" CI main.

I tried using a 5 gal bucket to lug tools stock & fittings, but wound up tossing everything into a heavy duty garbage bag because the bucket wouldn't get past certain points without having to tip it on its side.

The highlights:
            - Breaking the light bulb on my drop light after crawling all the way to the 4" main and having to slide all the way back to get another.

- After coming back & cutting the 4", realized I only brought one 4" clamp..another trip back.

- Impaling myself on a 3" nail..the homeowner was horrified when I resurfaced.

When the inspector came, I offered to give him the guided tour below...he politely declined the kind offer..despite my insistance that he should really look at my great work.
            I use 2 plastic snow sleds with ropes. one for Me,one for tools and supplys
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              I use 2 plastic snow sleds with ropes. one for Me,one for tools and supplys
              I just couldn't..the mental image of the look I'd get from my customers as I slipped under the house with a snow sled...

Which arouses a good question...where the heck do you buy a snow sled?

Comment

$975 for 4 hours in the last crawlspace I was in - belly crawl. At least i could roll over.

Comment

I just couldn't..the mental image of the look I'd get from my customers as I slipped under the house with a snow sled...

Good point!!! I dont know who decided to market snow sled in So Cal, but Ill bet if it wasnt for you Tool they wouldnt have sold a one!

Comment

I have a cabin in the Sierras at 7000 ft. elev. NORTHERN CALIF. NOT LA. Brian[ Son] and
                    I snow mobile with some great guys.Total Snowfall 1906 87' 6" We saw 7' fall one nite.
                    I plowed snow every winter in Mass. subcontracted to state and town. I would not believe
                    the snow at cabbage patch [ near bear valley,Calaveras co.] If I didn't own property up there! On the red snow sleds, big 5 sports store! I do earth Quake retros in crawlers.

THEY WORK GREAT, KEEPS BACK DRY ! Tool
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

the company that makes the plastic tote boxes also make a sled with a rope to tow in your tools. i have one and it's a low profile sled with 2 small runners to help keep it off the ground and pulling straight.

it's actually called a sled.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Getting back to the space under the house, having worked at the same houses for decades I have seen the AC guys take every crawl access that allows us to pass through the concrete footings as they started from one end of the house and worked their way to the outside. Since our guys would have to destroy the ductwork to get to portions of the underside of the house we would ask the homeowner (after we explained what their AC guys had done) what we should do, tear out the ducting or wait for their heating/air guy to show up. Gotta ask first or we end up covering the cost of repair. I have been under the same houses that went from being a breeze to crawl to having become a nightmare. Next we need to discuss the fact that there is no code in our area regarding low voltage wiring...... phones, alarm etc. Having all of this just hanging around waiting to get snagged has made most of us pretty good at this type of repair as well. I talked to an old phone co guy who explained to me how this came to be, anyone interested?

Comment

We repiped the attics of a bunch of 4-unit condos which had attics you could barely crawl through even though they were all straight in line. Years earlier another company had removed a two pipe HVAC system which was made by Arkla and replaced it with heat pumps.

At some point somebody went in and stripped all of the two inch copper feeds from the old gas system for scrap and tore up all of the duct work. Because the duct work was Asbestos it required abatement ($$$$$) to remove the old ducts before replacing them. As such our policy was to inspect the attic prior to our start then advice the maintenance guy before we started work so we were not blamed for the broken ducts.

Many years later I had an Attorney call me asking I represent the HOA in a suit against a cable company who replace all of the coax in the attic and tore up all of the ducts. I turned the job down as I felt I may end up as a target and it would be a conflict for me to represent the HOA. However, was I ever glad I still had our list we kept of which attics were destroyed before we started and that we left the attics as we found them. Since the maintenance guy had signed my list I gave it to the HOA for their records.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                          X