Bid Mistake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bid Mistake

The other day I gave a bid for a new water service and water heater. The 1970s galvanized ruptured under the garage slab. The WH and hose bib were also fed from under the slab so I included this in the bid. Gave the proposal, got a third down and started taking out the water heater. The house was kind of cluttered and I was in a rush so I didn't notice the !@#$##!!!! washing machine behind me was fed from the slab as well. The cutomer was a sweet old lady in a wheel chair. I just kind of ate it. Has anyone else screwed up on a bid like this? Is it completely unprofessional to make a mistake like this and ask for more $$$?

Re: Bid Mistake

You eat it and move on to the next guy. Hopefully, you can grab some extra on the next ones to make up for it.

When you give a price, you gotta stick with it. Unless you give them the "This price assumes, yada yada, and then if you find something else you can add it at the end."

Things like this make you look closer at more angles next time. In my case, I still screw up, but they cost a lot less than before......
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

What he said....

Comment

I`m dong a sewer install Friday I screwed up on....errrrrr
        I thought it was an easy one and bid it for what I thought I saw.
        My plumber called me and asked me if I knew there was another bathroom 50` up the side of the house so we would be doing a Y out in the back yard.
        I said "NO"
        He said there is another house 5` beside this one and we need to dig between em to do the front bathroom. &$%^#$^%#$^#^#^#^#$^#%^# $#@%@$%#$%#$%$#
        Damn I screwed up!!!!!!!
        Oh well, we`ll make our hourly but we wont bank it on this one
        I made the bid so I`ll stand behind my word
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Slab re pipes can pose a problem, of the hundreds of houses that I was involved with the only reoccurring issues that ever came up were the two wet bars that were missed behind closed doors. It's great to see the expression on a homeowners face when you ask them if they have a bar but it is something I learned to do.

Comment

You guys'r freakin' me out...
            I'm doing a house main replacement around the end of the month, suddenly I think I oughta stop by and double check things before I type out the contract.

Comment

If you are doing the digging make sure your contract has a clause for both rock and unmarked utilities!!! You never know what you may find under the ground!!

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                If you are doing the digging make sure your contract has a clause for both rock and unmarked utilities!!! You never know what you may find under the ground!!
                Seperate excavating contractor doing the exterior work & coring.

Comment

Originally posted by bacskcah View Post
                  The other day I gave a bid for a new water service and water heater. The 1970s galvanized ruptured under the garage slab. The WH and hose bib were also fed from under the slab so I included this in the bid. Gave the proposal, got a third down and started taking out the water heater. The house was kind of cluttered and I was in a rush so I didn't notice the !@#$##!!!! washing machine behind me was fed from the slab as well. The cutomer was a sweet old lady in a wheel chair. I just kind of ate it. Has anyone else screwed up on a bid like this? Is it completely unprofessional to make a mistake like this and ask for more $$$?
                  I couldn't help but notice in another thread you posted your rate is $30 per hour and you list yourself as a grunt. Are you actually a contractor or is this side work?

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I couldn't help but notice in another thread you posted your rate is $30 per hour and you list yourself as a grunt. Are you actually a contractor or is this side work?

Mark
                    Asked him the same question when he first joined, says he's a plumber...I forgot about the $30 comment.
                    I truly hope this guy doesn't bid at that rate.

Comment

Ok Ok Ok.. I'm changing my user name. I thought it was funny calling myself a grunt. After four years of night classes 8000 hours in the field and a state exam you get a license and the next day your still kicking a shovel. And no I don't bid at $30 an hour. I work for a mid-size service and repair company and my hourly rate is $30 an hour, about average for my this area. Generally my hourly pay is about %20 of my gross sales. What are hourly rates in your area, how do you bid? Nice to hear about other people facing the same challenges, thanks for the replies.l

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                        Rock clause and "excavation by rubber tire backhoe".

Comment

Working...
                        X