X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas pipe for water line?

Believe it or not, I see a lot of this going on up here in the mountains. Guys think they can use any kind of pipe to move water. Here's what you get. Hacks! Must have been the well guys, maybe.
    Attached Files
    ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Re: Gas pipe for water line?

I just got through replacing black iron nipples a "handy man" had use to hook up the water heater.Shark bite fittings all over..This poor woman had renovated and old house and used this guy on a referral from the local hardware store.No proper vents anyplace.
    All studor vents,and those were done poorly!Screwed up screwing up!

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
      Believe it or not, I see a lot of this going on up here in the mountains. Guys think they can use any kind of pipe to move water. Here's what you get. Hacks! Must have been the well guys, maybe.
      That is sick!!! What makes one even THINK it is OK to use black pipe on domestic water?

Comment

that brings up an interesting topic.

i have found with our water conditions that even galvanized fittings corrode because of the exposed steel on the male portion of the galvanized pipe inside the fitting.

personally, i try to use brass/copper as much as possible. i know it's a little more pricey, but once i explain my thoughts about galvy to my customers, they don't mind the extra expense.

do any of you guys experience corrosion with galvy?

Comment

Galvy is BAD

Comment

Until the DIY movement gets squashed these things will only continue and in fact get worse.
            sigpic

Comment

i never have used anything beside copper and brass for inside water,---- ductile, copper and poly for underground

i would never use galvy or blk pipe----its just gonna be a problem in the future---and i only use materials that i would use in my own home

Comment

does it scare any one else they sell black steel at home depot? i mean u mess up with water pipe, u flood the house, u mess up gass and thre is no house.

Comment

Originally posted by craigofva View Post
                  does it scare any one else they sell black steel at home depot? i mean u mess up with water pipe, u flood the house, u mess up gass and thre is no house.
                  What scares me more is the fact that they sell ridgid aluminum dryer vent right next to galvy CO venting for w/heaters and boilers.

I've gotten a call for a hole melted in a flue on a water heater.

Comment

I replaced about 100' of black iron in a garage that they had connected to a drinking fountain.

Said the taste was so bad you couldn't drink from it.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      I replaced about 100' of black iron in a garage that they had connected to a drinking fountain.

J.C.
                      Taste bad? hmm i would of never guessed that

Comment

I won't even use galvy anymore. I had to do a 6 hour repair on a nightmare of a tub wich I used a 3/4 galv (domestic) st. 90 from the hardware store on a saturday. I will wait till Monday from now on to get the right parts if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                          Why would anyone use block pipe for water - possible cure for iron poor blood?

Had a professional replace all the galv pipe in our first home. No pressure on the second floor - pipe was half filled with corrosion.

Comment

we all know that galvanized pipe is no good for healthy potable water.

i wonder when the governments are going to figure it out and change the codes accordingly?

Comment

the typical homes around here are from the 1920's-1950's. for the most part they were piped in gal. many are still gal pipe

but that was when domestic gal was real gal.

newer gal from the 70's never made it to the 90's.

there defiantly is a difference between old gal and not so old gal.

today the domestic gal is nowhere to be found. the import gal. is junk and might last a couple years for water.

the only place i use gal. is for gas pipe above ground and this will last forever. i've never seen above ground gas rot out, black or gal.

all my threaded tub nipples and angle stops are done in brass. the only reason i carry gal nipples is for gas or waste traps.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X