No announcement yet.

Plumbing/Piping for duraibility?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing/Piping for duraibility?

Some of you guys do Re-pipes and all that. I've done a few reno type jobs for people and you often encounter old copper pipes, many of which just look "frail." You cut one to tie your new copper onto it, you go to reem it (assuming it's not pointing up) and it doesn't reem as well as the nice new copper piece you cut. It's much "harder," if that's a fair description. Or you pull out a bunch of sections of copper pipe and they bend so easily at the 90 that you can't help but wonder how much more time they had left. This isn't just copper though. There's other systems out there that just look "old," and you wonder...

I know it's tough to sell now a days as people are so short sighted, but I always try my best to install things with durablity in the back of my mind. I like things to be serviceable, reliable, & durable.

I was watching a video of some German installations where they often build houses to last families generations. They were brazing copper 90's for water lines and they were long sweep 90's with very little restriction and I believe they were quite thick walled. Or the Fusiotherm Polypropolene that my company is using, that after you are done, is essentially one piece in the truest from as it is not welded, solderd, or brazed but fused into one piece. Yes - pricier to buy and install but will last a very long time.

Even Pex, believe it or not, can be installed with durability in mind. Properly clipping, and sleeving. Using 90 bends and properly clipping the pipe to reduce stress on various joints. Running piping runs striaght and in ways not to rub up against other building materials so as to reduce abrasion.

Sometimes budgets don't allow all this....but what are some rules you go by if you have similar beliefs as myself?

Re: Plumbing/Piping for duraibility?

Check out this site

Copper Benefits For Using Copper Tubing For Mechanical Systems

( A page from

There is some really good resources there. like the copper tubing handbook that will help you see why copper is way better and in turn help you explain it to your customers

My parents had a leaky copper water line in the wall. The plumber who replaced the damaged pipe told them that the pipe was manufactured differently than today. Rolled flat then curled with a seam instead of extruded. Not sure how copper pipe is made (then or now), just passing along the info.
      Last edited by tchads; 10-09-2008, 01:54 PM. Reason: added the type of pipe - copper

You are correct.

The old "poly" grey pex was way different then the new stuff, so I think its way better then the old stuff, But I am just liking copper way better