Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another job bites the dust, to an unlicensed plumber!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another job bites the dust, to an unlicensed plumber!

Testing is 2X a year here in MN.I keep an eye out for "handyman" plumbers every day.
    I've seen not just bad garbage but dangerous garbage from some of these knuckleheads.

Comment

Here in North Carolina the test is administered whenever, year-round. After they accept your application, they send you a test-date within a few weeks.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

In Colorado you can test six days a week
        ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

I wish NYS state was like that ,

So then I do agree, if your states offer it that often , then yea there is NO reason for unlicensed plumbers to be taking your work for sure,

But as a side note, I have seen some really bad licensed plumbing in my days , well thats also because some of these shops are so huge just the owner is licensed.....

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
            I wish NYS state was like that ,

So then I do agree, if your states offer it that often , then yea there is NO reason for unlicensed plumbers to be taking your work for sure,

But as a side note, I have seen some really bad licensed plumbing in my days , well thats also because some of these shops are so huge just the owner is licensed.....
            Are You licensed?
            The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
              Are You licensed?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                sorry, had to ask, didn't see one on his webpage and was just wondering.
                The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
                    Are You licensed?
                    Nope not yet, I was going to take it up here in Rochester but I am moving back to Long Island soon, so I will take it there.

I don't do any side work for anyone, When I plumb I work for shops that are licensed, its way too risky to plumb without one, and when I was a helper like 15 years ago I got in trouble and said never again, so soon I will take the test.

Comment

just a comment.

GREED on the part of the h/o appears to be the root of the this problem.

i find it hard to put total blame on the hack. he's only trying make a buck to feed himself and or his family.

i've observed over the years that if a person is ignorant, dangers are not easily recognized.

ie; if i need to do work in the chlorine injector room at our pumphouse, a un-educated person would think that i'm loosing my mind when i donn the breathing apparatus and open a bottle of ammonia before entering the room. i wasn't licenced when i first started changing chlorine bottles, but i sure am glad the licenced plumber taught me.

i've responsed to jobs that had water damage because of a leak of some sort. i give the owner my plumbing ticket # or a actual photocopy of it. i tell the owner that it is for the insurance company if they request it. i also think of it as a business card.

maybe we should be putting pressure on the insurance companies.

if the h/o is denied a claim because the plumbing that failed wasn't installed by a licenced journyman, they might think twice the next time some hack tries to save them money.

Comment

I am sure that money has something to do with it...but rationalizing one's behavior (feed family) is not an excuse. No license, no plumbing.

Soon, we will see people using the excuse they robbed to support their families, because of the economy. Will the jury buy it? I hope not.

Comment

MP This sounds expensive! I'm guessing most would have 3 county licenses there.

Am I right,and what would that cost involve? Is it a yearly fee!
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            MP This sounds expensive! I'm guessing most would have 3 county licenses there.
                            It probably depends on your area in the county. Where I am the big companies have Westchester, Putnam, and CT. Lower down in the county, I often saw Westchester, Rockland and NYC.

Edit: Where I used to live on LI, I don't know if there are county plumbing licenses, but the home improvement contractors would often have a Suffolk and a Nassau license; but not always.
                            Last edited by cpw; 10-10-2008, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb

The second one I have is for the State of CT. It is valid for the whole state. Yearly cost is $75.

WOW , now that's what I am talking about ONLY $75

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb
                                I wish they would combine for a state license.
                                We are going to statewide licensing in Iowa starting July 1 '09. The inspectors assure me its a good thing, but I can see a downside that I dont like. Might be completely different where you are though.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                                X