Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Another job bites the dust, to an unlicensed plumber!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another job bites the dust, to an unlicensed plumber!

I had a job lined up to dig a new sump crock, pump, battery back up etc. Get a call from the H/O telling me that the "independent contractor" who built the house is trying to keep himself busy. He basically bid this as to where I could not even touch the price, and he was going to add a 20' trench with tile as well.
    This was a "courtesy call" as the H/O stated. I informed the H/O that only a licensed plumber, would only have insurance and is legally able to perform the work. H/O said the guy did have a license. Then I did something I never have done before...I asked the name of the company. H/O would not tell me.

This H/O is a great guy I might ad. I feel he was pushed to this to save money, due to all the damage done in his basement. I worry about the work performed. He has given me lots of business, pleasure to deal with, and if he went with a reputable guy cheaper than me it would not be so bad. But this job was scammed by a guy trying to stay busy, who should not be doing the work. If he called me today for advice, I would give it...

Right now, I have a proposal going out that is bidding against a layed-off plumber (so he tells the H/O). No insurance, no business license...I told the H/O this information. What if this guy burns your house down? He cannot pay to build a new house! Gets hurt? H/O will pay for this guy, etc etc.

My avatar says it all...I am up against a hoard of invading non-licensed plumbers.

Re: Another job bites the dust, to an unlicensed plumber!

Turn 'em in. Daily if you have too. And it is nothing personal at all towards the homeowner.

J.C.

Comment

If their stealing you lively hood , then there are no ethics in business

Comment

SO SORRY! Having a good relationship makes it especially hard !

BUST THE BASTARD!!!!!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I agree with all the above.
          Now is the time when any Tom, Dick & Harry are going to tell homeowners whatever they want to hear to get money from their wallets.

Comment

We do set pumps and pits down here but, in my part of the state that is not plumbing. A lot of basement contractors do that work. Inspectors never say a word about it because it doesn't go to sanitary.

Comment

They look the other way because plumbers thumb their nose and say it is not "real plumbing." Look in the code book. Storm drainage, sump pumps, storm water etc. These are defined in the code book, thus they ARE plumbing. Show the inspectors the mention in the code book, press the importance of proper installation regarding drainage. I cant tell you how many handyman sump jobs I have seen...Sumps are work, its gonna get tight. Protect your work.

Comment

When you get rear ended your supposed to fight back.
                Automobile,business...Prison

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                  My avatar says it all...I am up against a hoard of invading non-licensed plumbers.
                  If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone!!

Comment

Just remember though...if you see someone asking questions about a job thats conspicuously similar to it online...it's all part of the evolution...give them the advice.

Comment

I would remind the H/O that he is going to pay the person that built the house, to fix a problem that was obviously not done right the first time.
                      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                        I would remind the H/O that he is going to pay the person that built the house, to fix a problem that was obviously not done right the first time.
                        I asked if he was doing it for free...

Comment

I asked if he was doing it for free...
                          Not knowing the law there, last year I got a double sump job.

Builder had just put up a duplex with french drains all around the inside perimeter.
                          The only thing he forgot was to tie them outside...duh.

The new homeowner went ballistic over the 2" pond in his basement...not the fishing type, builder got stuck with the bill.

He wound up opting to pay me rather than rip up the exisitng landscape and run external drains downhill.

Comment

I am NOT siding with anyone, BUT in some states they make it a real hassle to get a plumbing license, Like for example where I live in Rochester NY they only offer the test once a year, LIKE COME ON, so what are people supposed to do?............That's my only rant, But licensed or unlicensed there will always be someone that is ready to beat your price, or out advertise you, Just look at companies like Ben Franklin plumbing,

Don't worry about the unlicensed guys taking your work, worry about these new corporate monsters buying up all the little shops in your town and then advertising everywhere to totally crush you.

Just my thoughts,

My advice, Hire the unlicensed guy and have him work for you,

Comment

They test here every 3 months...I believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X