X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic DIYer call.

I got the CLASSIC DIY call tonight. Caller tried to repair his Delta shower-valve himself....need I say more?

I am going there tomorrow morning because he had to shut the water off and ruined the ceiling. "Pipes are leaking in the wall now!" "You can do it, we can help!" If he had called me in the first place, it would have been a cheap faucet repair, now I have to replace the entire shower-body in the wall AND charge extra for Sunday work....DOH!
    DIYers really do make us extra money sometimes! Maybe this movement is not so bad, I'll take a shower-vlave replacement sale over a simple Delta rebuild sale anyday!
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Re: Classic DIYer call.

the other day i had a guy replacing a fill valve and messed up the supply line, so he called and i went out, once i told him the price he was like oh i can fix it my self, so i offer to drop the price to something complty else just so i can make something off the job but he said he still can do it him self.

why the heck did i need to go out?

Comment

Sometimes it's how you look at things.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by craigofva View Post
        the other day i had a guy replacing a fill valve and messed up the supply line, so he called and i went out, once i told him the price he was like oh i can fix it my self, so i offer to drop the price to something complty else just so i can make something off the job but he said he still can do it him self.

How much did you charge him for the service call to go out to the job? You did charge him, didn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
          I got the CLASSIC DIY call tonight. Caller tried to repair his Delta shower-valve himself....need I say more?

I am going there tomorrow morning because he had to shut the water off and ruined the ceiling. "Pipes are leaking in the wall now!" "You can do it, we can help!" If he had called me in the first place, it would have been a cheap faucet repair, now I have to replace the entire shower-body in the wall AND charge extra for Sunday work....DOH!
          DIYers really do make us extra money sometimes! Maybe this movement is not so bad, I'll take a shower-vlave replacement sale over a simple Delta rebuild sale anyday!
          Wanna bet he ripped the copper tubes out of the valve?

J.C.

Comment

Early lesson for me...NEVER tell them what was wrong until AFTER you're done.

I truly hope you charged a service fee for your time at least.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
              That or crossed threads.

Comment

I don't play this. I'll gladly explain what's wrong even before I take it apart. But they're paying something. Price your arrival charge close to the replacement charge on small things.

J.C.

Comment

Lowballing after an estimate just lowers our worth.

Comment

What's great about those calls is they are really glad you are there and very appreciative. It's a great opportunity to sell yourself and make a lifetime customer.

I do work for some customers that are capable of doing plumbing, they just like me and the work I do. It is very humbling.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Well, it wasn't a monitor, it was an old ball type.

Comment

Ahh...

One of my cash cows in this business.

A good reason to bash Delta but only for the reason that the property owner doesn't understand it's a two wrench trick.

If you really want to lay blame for the incident, it's the plumber for not greasing the threads on that bonnet nut.

I'll call ya later.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                          Toldja'!

Good job.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                            Ahh...

One of my cash cows in this business.

A good reason to bash Delta but only for the reason that the property owner doesn't understand it's a two wrench trick.

If you really want to lay blame for the incident, it's the plumber for not greasing the threads on that bonnet nut.

I'll call ya later.
                            Yep! I DID grease the threads on the New monitor cap. I informed the homeowner that this will definitely help down the road when its time to replace the cartridge...He said he'd learned his lesson and would be calling me next time!

I am going hiking with the family, be back this evening. Call anytime after 6pm Dunbar.

Comment

We used to keep several of those old delta valves in our museum at our shop and every once in awhile we would review the safest way we thought possible to remove the bonnet cap and that was to take a little jab saw and carefully cut a slice at an angle across the grid marks. Then we would take a screw driver and split the nut. We always let the new guys try to take one of these apart at the work bench first so they could see first hand what kind of damage they could do.

Comment

Working...
                              X