Sweating 2 1/2" valve advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweating 2 1/2" valve advice

Need to replace 2 1/2" valve. I have sweated 2" copper on pool equipment using two mapp turbo torches with helper. Will I have success using same game plan? I have 3 torches available and a helper. Go with different setup-O/A maybe? I understand clean/ream and solder following heat just no hands on with the larger sizes. FYI I'll be using Everlast flux and Bridgit solder.
    Thanks for any advice!

wookie

Re: Sweating 2 1/2" valve advice

Heat that brass good... I would get a big tip torch head, and have a helper solder.

Comment

What Big Jim says....

Heat the pipe end and drip solder on it than quickly wipe it to spread solder.... Rotate pipe and repeat... Lots of flux... Once end of pipe is covered sand it down a bit for fit than put pieces together and solder as usual.

This technique makes sure you get enough solder into the joint...

Comment

I use a weed burner [ propane ] to pre heat ,before welding anything thicker than a pencil.

Would this help with large copper ??
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Clean valve + pipe end thoroughly. Even coat of flux (i use kester) on both pipe and valve as well as evenly dispersed heat from a B tank will give you good solder flow.

Comment

wookie, a suggestion might be to get 2- mip adapters and an ips ball valve.

using a torch that is too small will not only cause a poor joint, but also damage the valve as the heat required to properly solder a large 2.5'' brass valve, the valve will absorb too much of the heat and cause damage to the teflon seats and packing.

advantage of the mip adapters is less mass and no damage. plus you can see and feed solder from both ends if necessary.

personally an acetylene b tank will do a great job. a handheld mapp torch is a bit on the small size.

a propress crimp will do the job with running water in 4 seconds a side.

i do some propress for other plumbers just like you

you don't want to do it twice

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Call someone with a propress--or rent it from supply house---odd enuff, ive done quite a bit of 21/2 " copper with the press lately---real odd size here

Comment

up here in canada we have a torch kit called "Turbo Torch". it hooks up to a 20lb propane bottle.

it has various size tips. larger diameter pipe only requires a tip change. there are some pretty serious tips available.

one draw back to this kit is that the gas flow is supposed to be set at one setting, full throttle. this is to prevent damage to the tip. it will over heat if used at a flow rate less than recomended factory settings.

if you don't have anything like this available where you are i could look into it further for you.

cheers

Comment

vince, i have a turbo torch that look like the exhaust pipe from a 4 banger.

this hooks up to the propane tank directly, no regulator.

turbo torch is probably the #1 maker of torches for us plumbers.

have both the propane and the acetylene set ups.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                    up here in canada we have a torch kit called "Turbo Torch". it hooks up to a 20lb propane bottle.

it has various size tips. larger diameter pipe only requires a tip change. there are some pretty serious tips available.

one draw back to this kit is that the gas flow is supposed to be set at one setting, full throttle. this is to prevent damage to the tip. it will over heat if used at a flow rate less than recomended factory settings.

if you don't have anything like this available where you are i could look into it further for you.

cheers
                    I lobe my turbotorch,

Sorry just had to add that

Comment

i have bin a pipe fitter for 20 yrs and never pre tin a pipe
                      i have done up to 6" pipe and all i use up to 3" is a Turbo Torch / b tank with a a-14 tip .

do not over heat your pipe and valve

rick good pipe fitters dont need pro press

sorry rick

but i still like you
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                        i have done up to 6" pipe and all i use up to 3" is a Turbo Torch / b tank with a a-14 tip .

sorry rick

but i still like you
                        charlie, 5 years ago i would have agreed with you

but when the water doesn't shut off 100% and you need to get it done, what are you going to do?

propess is 4 seconds, or a loaf of bread while you wait for it to drain

sure i have jet swets to 4'' and pipe freeze equiptment too. but 4 seconds is impossible to beat.

don't make me dig up some pictures to show you my

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

your right
                          but trying to get my boss to agree is not going to happen
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post

sorry rick

but i still like you

Hawk: You have "soft" soldered 6" copper pipe and not tinned? I believe you can get the solder to flow you can even get the solder to seal but without tinning I can't believe you get the joint full like it should be.

I have seen your work and will not doubt your skill's though.....

Okie

Comment

Holy leaping horn toads Batman, man up and put some heat to it. Turbo Torch T6 tip.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X