Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Plumber Needed

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No Plumber Needed

    I looked at a set of blueprints for a GC today. He also owns about 30 properties. I ask him what kind of water pipe he wants. I suggest copper but remind him it's more expensive.

    He says, "I like that new stuff, PEX. If I want to do anything to it I don't have to call a plumber. Just go to Lowes & HD and buy a set of crimpers."

    Something to think about for all the PEX, Sharkbite, ProPress fans.

    J.C.

  • #2
    Re: No Plumber Needed

    Yup,they're out there too.
    More than your fair share those guys out here.
    I worked with one for a long while,no more.He was/is a bad seed.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: No Plumber Needed

      Careful not to spend too much time on the bid.More than likely he's just raping you and others for info and help him set the price curve.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: No Plumber Needed

        I went to look at a job the other day and the lady who hired me told me she did construction work but not usually plumbing. It was her 86-year-old mom's trailer, however, and she had run PEX pipes all over the place, and not very well.

        Around here, you're likely to find anything. I was in a house a few weeks ago that had been badly plumbed in galvanized about 30 years ago. I was using copper then, but there were still some DIYs around who couldn't solder. Those are the kinds of jobs where you'll see non-tapered threads because they borrowed a threader from a sparky.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: No Plumber Needed

          Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Careful not to spend too much time on the bid.More than likely he's just raping you and others for info and help him set the price curve.

          I agree.....anybody who owns 30 properties is most times not worth worrying about. The guy is a sniffer who probably has an existing crew, yet he'll grab somebody else if they're cheaper.

          It's like the roofer who says he's too busy to do his own roof/would rather pay someone else to do it/more cost effective. Yeahhh....riggghhhhht.....how many of those pan out??

          Nada, zip, zilch.

          Throw together a quote and make it juicy for yourself. If it comes, fine, if not, you can be sure the guy doing it is some poor bastard that will lose money on it.

          Always more money on fixing existing stuff out there. Renos/fixups/replacement is the business I like.

          New construction/big commercial jobs are nice when they come in(using the bid method mentioned above) but the existing homeowner stuff pays the bills and keeps your head straight.
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: No Plumber Needed

            Just low bid it, he'll accept the job, then drag your feet consistently and never show up.

            Act all interested in the job when he calls the 4th or 5th time, tell him afternoon naps are important.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: No Plumber Needed

              Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              I looked at a set of blueprints for a GC today. He also owns about 30 properties. I ask him what kind of water pipe he wants. I suggest copper but remind him it's more expensive.

              He says, "I like that new stuff, PEX. If I want to do anything to it I don't have to call a plumber. Just go to Lowes & HD and buy a set of crimpers."

              Something to think about for all the PEX, Sharkbite, ProPress fans.

              J.C.

              I have been saying this for a while, Its not only pex but many products now for the trades, We need to get more young people involved in these trades and keep the "journey man" alive.....just my thoughts ....copper rules
              Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
              New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: No Plumber Needed

                Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                Just low bid it, he'll accept the job, then drag your feet consistently and never show up.

                Act all interested in the job when he calls the 4th or 5th time, tell him afternoon naps are important.
                dunbar, that sounds fine and dandy until you have a signed contract and you are now legally obligated to do the job.

                rick.
                phoebe it is

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: No Plumber Needed

                  Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  dunbar, that sounds fine and dandy until you have a signed contract and you are now legally obligated to do the job.

                  rick.
                  Not to mention the bad rep you could get from him bad-mouthing you for screwing with him. Yeah, you really didn't want his work but now others will think twice of working with you.

                  Just tell him you're not interested in working under those conditions and move on, and don't waste another minute with his BS. I think you look more professional and you've wasted less time on him than playing along for a couple weeks and then dumping him.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X