Forgot to run drain line...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot to run drain line...

DIY Customes remodeling kitchen had old cab's removed to find unsightly 5 foot waste arm running through the cabinetry. So they had their handyman remove the ugly beast and cap it off at the wye. After having new cab's installed and calling me to hook up the plumbing, I quickly discovered that this kitchen had no drain and no way to follow the old path. The only way is to go through the outside stucco. Oops!

My problem is that there is a 4 (4 2x4's) gang support post section with metal strapping and no way to get a long or sectional drill bit without cutting away other virtical posts. This includes h2o supply lines, electrical wiring, gas pipe all which has to share the space with the 1 1/2 inch drain line.

The Customer will let me run the drain line on the outside of the house. When complete He'll have a decorative box built up the wall and re-stucco.

Is this kosher? It's the most direct way of running the pipe back to the wye, vent and cleanout. I'll be able to use DWV bends without a problem.

Your take?

Re: Forgot to run drain line...

YES, THIS WOULD WORK "JEFF"
    BUT THE QUESTION IS THIS A PERMITTED JOB AND WHAT THE LOCAL INSPECTOR THINKS ABOUT IT ? ?
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Post a pic, This could be fun .

Comment

Originally posted by jeffh View Post
        all which has to share the space with the 1 1/2 inch drain line.

Your take?
        kitchen sink should be roughed with 2" drain with reducing 2" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" san tee

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
          kitchen sink should be roughed with 2" drain with reducing 2" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" san tee
          i think he means 1 1/2" trap arm?
          Mike
          Clark County Plumbing And Drain
          www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Where are you located Jeff? Are freezing problems a factor? I'd never try that here for that reason, might not be an issue in your climate.

Probably not an option at this point, but when I had a similar problem in a remodel my solution was to fir the cabinets out to make a chase behind them, then as countertop was non-standard depth did a tiled countertop and took up the extra depth that way.
            Last edited by Ace Sewer; 10-14-2008, 07:39 PM.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Why not just drill the back of the cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by rombo View Post
                'cus if i understand it, he's got a whole row of them to get a pipe in behind, and no room in the wall to do it.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                  i think he means 1 1/2" trap arm?
                  five foot needs 2"
                  1-1/2" taps out at 3-6"

Comment

Originally posted by rombo View Post

Comment

Call the handyman and ask him how the hell he planned on doing it.
                      Then, call the cabinet installers and ask why they didn't mention it BEFORE cabinet installation.
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Sorry for not responding sooner. Been busy all day.

Anyway, job completed but no pic's. Ran drain accross the outside wall and dwv 90 into cabinet. On the down slop side, this intersects with a 1 1/2 wet vent from 2nd story going into 2 inches into the slab.

Believe it or not, the Customer is having the same handyman who cut and capped the pipe in the first place, build up the back outside wall and stucco it. All I can say is "go for it" dude. BTW, this is the same handyman who also redid the showers, roman tub in stone, but never considered replacing the 35 year old fixtures! You should have seen him breaking into an outside wall to get to the roman tube plumbing. Needless to say, I'm so glad to be out of the house. On the brighter side, my Customer paid me cash without even a grimace. So now my wife is happy also!

Comment

Go to wall mart, buy a hammer, presto, you're a framer. Get a harbor freight chop saw, now you can do trim too. Pick up a crappy 10' 1/4" hand crank snake, and a burnzomatic, you're a plumber and a drain cleaner now too. This stuff is easy. Those guys all charge way too much and then cry about liscencing and experience and permits and insurance and other stupid stuff when you take their work and do it for half the price. ha ha ha ha ha

No wonder I see so many screwed up houses.

Comment

How long could it take to pull out the base cabinet and re-install them?
                            Unless you have granite tops it should be no more than a days work.

Comment

I would be no part of that mess !
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X