Yellow Pages ad scam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Pages ad scam

Want to make you all aware of this, also interested to see if anyone else has been targeted by these people.

Got a call from 'the officail yellow pages' telling me it was time to re-up for annual ads. I am in 3 different yellow pages in this area, and thought it was one of them. was busy at the time told them to call back, they did, we talked, it was a fast paced conversation as I was hurried, but something set off warning signals... I could not figre out despite several questions which yellow pages they were...

"Are you Names and Numbers?
    "We're the official yellow pages."
    "Which one is that?"
    "You know, we're the one with the two fingers on the front." Which I've since found out is not a trademarked symbol.
    "So, are you Yellowbook?"
    "The Official Yellow Pages, The one with the two fingers."
    confused, still not identified, but thinkng it Yellowbook; "So, we've advertised with you in the past?"
    "Yes, our new book is coming out and I want to make sure you get in."
    etc etc etc

I got off the phone as it felt odd and I was in a hurry. They mailed a bill out and office person called them up to find out what it was for, figured out they were no-one we had done business with, was told I had given a verbal ok for the ad, sent check. Then it came up between us in another conversation, and we figured it out. They've never published a phone book in this area as far as I can tell. I've been in the area 13 years and never seen one. They supposedly are an on line yellow pages, though they claimed to have published a printed book as well. Stopped payment on check, called them and told them we were doing so. Got a series of high pressure letters and phone calls. Finally ended when I asked them to please sue me as what they did constituted fraud and I'd love to see them in front of a judge.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Yellow Pages ad scam

I get that call all the time and they also send out a statement looking bill thing making you think it`s your yellow pages ad`s. If you read all the BS you figure out it`s not the yellow pages you use. I get so pissed every time I get one. I almost paid it once
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I always just tell them no thanks but I did have a company call me who was doing a blue book of sorts to local builders and I paid for that ad. The problem is he said it was for where I live in Santa Clarita. When the book was never delivered I called and demanded my book. That's when I found out the book was for Santa Clara not Santa Clarita. As I didn't care to advertise 315 north of me I demanded and received my money back.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i'd be willing to bet its yellow pages .com i was nailed by them for alot of money on there online ads ive found hundreds of other companies that have gone through the same thing. we are trying to get a law suit against them but most lawyers i've talked to said we're pretty much screwed
        Mike
        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

I never fall for any of these. They look like a bill in the mail, hoping your secretary will just pay it as it looks like an invoice if you wasn't paying attention.

They don't care if you come back, they just want that one time hit and they got you.

Most if not always you're already in the databases if you are a legit company.

I bet I get at least 6 or 7 of these a year, all go to the trash. Some actually call, a few do the internet email method.

Here's what I tell these ****tards, "I want 1% guaranteed in writing return for my investment in your ad. Your asking for $279 for exposure to 1000's of potential customers...you should at least guarantee me 4 calls."

They're stumped at that point, you know they won't do it and then they offer the product cheaper because they DO cover a base, just a very small insignificant one at that.

People go to search engines most times, the top 3 and then if that doesn't yield a find, they go to a personal one like 411.com or other no-name search engine that was found locally.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

i keep getting offers from rheem water heater company. they want to include me in their yellow page add as a preferred installer.

problem is it's $600. a year just for my name and #.

bigger problem it's in their chinese edition of the los angeles book

probably have at least a dozen offers and none have been for the english book

how do you say "water heater" in mandarin

rick.
            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 10-15-2008, 10:42 AM.
            phoebe it is

Comment

when i lived in montreal, my (at the time) girlfriend's father worked for a "telemarketing" company.

they would contact "potential" clients by phone and ask them if they wanted to sumit their fax # in "their" fax # directory.

what this company didn't tell their clients was that the directory was actually available to the public for free.

all this company was doing was putting their own cover on the book that was free to begin with and charging for it.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                i keep getting offers from rheem water heater company. they want to include me in their yellow page add as a preferred installer.

rick.
                shuǐ

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                  Holy cow! Thats a crazy story?.......I would call Rheem and complain.,.

Comment

Working...
                  X