stumped

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stumped

i got a call from our local police department there building is only 11 years old. one of the womens wall hung toilets keeps getting siphoned out over night so when they come in in the morning the bathroom smells. here is what i know: there is 2 side by side american standard wall hung toilets with sloan flush valves, its always the back stall toilet that does it. they said it started out periodically and now it is happening almost every night. the problem toilet is back to back with the mens room toilet the mens room only has one toilet and a urinal. she said there is no women that are there at night. there is no water on the floor and the toilets are flushing fine. she also said the toilet is bone dry in the morning.they are also doing road construction i think they are installing fire hydrants but i dont think that matters thought i'd add it in though. any ideas?
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: stumped

I had a mystery toilet like that once. I swore it was a venting problem.

Between the bottom of the bowl and the back of the trap there was a hairline fracture. Looked like a scratch from a closet auger. During the day when everyone was using it no one notice that the water level was dropping but overnight the water would all leak out.

I should have clued in that even a venting problem wouldn't suck nearly every drop of water out of the trap

Comment

If it's bone dry it would seem to be a crack, but where is the water going? It is on a slab or is their a basement?
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
        If it's bone dry it would seem to be a crack, but where is the water going? It is on a slab or is their a basement?
        Cracked through the trap and the water runs down the drain

Comment

It has to be cracked. If you wanted to be sure you could switch two toilets.
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

thats a good idea to switch toilets, its on a concrete slab and cynder block walls so no moisture shows up i'm thinking its cracked too. i just wanted to get everyone opinion's
            Mike

Comment

I have run into the same problem, atleast its an easy fix. But to be sure first is second the switch from mens to womens

Comment

Just to be on the safe side, I would run a closet auger through the toilet as there may be something in there that is allowing the water to "wick" it's way out. I also think this toilet is cracked but you might be surprised. By running a closet auger you will have covered all the bases before pulling the toilet.

Comment

you beat me to the punch rookie. for a rookie you defiantly know your stuff

i would guess it's cracked, or the casting hole has a leak. there's always the possibility that some white mice might be hung up in the toilet, and carrier that is creating a siphon condition.

pulling the toilet and examining it will probably be the ultimate answer.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

thanks guys ill let you know the outcome
                    Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X