X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "firing a customer"

mate when i get a customer who says they can get it done cheaper by another plumber i say then do and charles in a big city one customer wont hurt your business because there are another 4million (melbourne oz) the saying you cant please everyone is true i say thats my price thats it no haggling im cheaper then others and i know it and im damned if i know how they get work because thier standards are low, like i said its a big city

Comment

i used to use a
      "owner supplied material surcharge"
      of 10% of my labor charge
      to be able to make my markup and profit
      margin to guarantee the job,

most times when customers hear this
      they just decide to pay for my parts ! !
      JERRYMAC
      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Sounds like you went above the call of duty by fixing it with quality parts for free. Glad it worked out for you.

We install customer supplied stuff but I always make sure they understand we don't warranty it and any problems need to be taken up with the manufacture.

One thing I have noticed that is essential is keeping good records. A year down the road they call and complain about a problem on the faucet "you" installed.

Our invoices even say "customer supplied" and parts listed.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by brad 7596 View Post
          mate when i get a customer who says they can get it done cheaper by another plumber i say then do
          Standing firm on your prices is fine, that's not treating your customers like crap.

Originally posted by brad 7596 View Post
          and charles in a big city one customer wont hurt your business because there are another 4million (melbourne oz)
          I don't think Carl is in a big city; and if you look at the name of his company you'll know that his business model is to be a reliable plumber (and also focus on emergency service work).

If you follow your logic, there is no reason to treat any customer nicely, because there are lots more out there. Nice doesn't mean you have to be a pushover, but at least I think it is better to have someone say "This guy was too expensive, or he won't use my parts" than he is a flake who doesn't return his voicemail.

Comment

Wow, you know me too well, Charles! That is exactly right. I live and work in a county of only about 300,000 people. Word gets around FAST. I feel I did the right thing as I got rid of this customer, while upholding my integrity by going back to fix the problem at no charge.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
            X