X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the pro's

Went on a drain cleaning call the other day and cleaned the drain through the cleanout located in the attached garage. Almost got an instant headache when I walked in there and noticed the WH was at one time B-vented through the garage roof, but a piece was conveniently taken off from the top of the heater. I offered to fix that for him, but he said "No way, that is my only source of heat out here." Anyways, he wanted me to replace the heater too, but I told him no way. My question is would any of you replace a heater if you knew beforehand that as soon as you left, the homeowner was going to remove the vent to heat his garage? Sometimes you just can't fix stupid.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Re: Question for the pro's

Hmmm... probably not. If they find him dead and see that a water heater was just replaced and a piece of venting is off, guess who's family is going to sue you.

If you want to have fun with it, you could call the police and say he's trying to kill himself with carbon monoxide. Just a thought
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Hurry up and cash the check!

Comment

Sounds like a canidate for a Darwin Award.

Comment

just playing the devils advocate here,

but if the flame is adjusted correctly, (not saying it is), how much different is the safety of that verses the unvented wall heaters that are sold in many places. or a gas range?
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You can't fix stupid. But maybe you can help it.

Tell him to get a CO detector and plug it in. Might go off once in awhile with cars but will also warn him if levels get high from the heater in the garage.

J.C.

Comment

install the heater, take a picture and call for inspection.

then you're covered.

make sure to screw the single wall together.

no screws on type b venting

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Burning correct,the CO should be no more than .04%
                I would still hustle to the bank!
                Inspector has your back on this without question.
                Last edited by Jay Mpls; 10-17-2008, 09:14 PM. Reason: and...

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  install the heater, take a picture and call for inspection.

then you're covered.

make sure to screw the single wall together.

no screws on type b venting

rick.
                  I second that.

Except for Devine would need a license in order to get a permit.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I'd be calling the gas company and having them come out, shutting him down.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Protect yourself, your billing should state in detail your observations, warnings regarding the consequences of his failure to heed your cautions and a proposal to bring this situation up to code along with a stiff statement providing verbage regarding your detailed conversation with him and his acknowledgment of his total disregard. Sending a copy to his wife will either result in the job being taken care of or he'll call someone else to do it.

Comment

I agree with Dunbar - call the gas company. Anyone who argues about connecting a gas vent belongs in a mental hospital.

Comment

The first thing you should have done while you were there was shut the gas valve off to the heater and noted this on your invoice and have him sign it.

Sure, he gets pissed and maybe never calls you again but the fact that you got a headache indicates to me that the burner is somehow impinged and likey creating dangerous levels of CO.

If he wants to kill himself, tell him to buy a gun like everyone else

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                            I second that.

Except for Devine would need a license in order to get a permit.
                            ROTFLMAO
                            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Whats wrong with screwing B vent? I've ran miles of it from 3" to 12" and I screw it just like its single wall.

In this situation I'd feel much better about installing a new heater and letting them take the vent pipe off, versus letting it go the way it is. A new heater will be making well under 20ppm, more likely 6 or 7ppm. Even if they did remove the vent pipe from a new heater the air in the garage would never saturate to the co levels that are being emitted from said heater. And even if it did, who cares. 6 or 7 ppm is nothing. Whereas an old heater thats improperly adjusted could very easily be making over 1000ppm. That could very easily saturate the air in the garage and kill someone in a few minutes.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X