Another old Rheem bites the dust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another old Rheem bites the dust

I took out a 37 yr old Rheem 30 gallon gas yesterday. The drain cock was leaking. Told the people the only way I'd touch it is to replace it.

Let's see, 37 years ago I was running cross country in high school (when I could still run) and learning about hot babes (now my babe is hot 'cause of menopause) and that water heater was probably $125.00 installed (total yesterday was over $1000.00) and the only thing wrong with me now is my drain cock is leaking
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Another old Rheem bites the dust

Wanna' bet the one you installed won't last as long?

J.C.

Comment

I give it 6.1 yrs.
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

By the way Tim, you know Rheem is a Japanese company now right?

J.C.

Comment

Hate to say it,

but those GE PowerVents that are Rheem/Ruud mfg...those Robertshaw gast control valves are junk.

If you call tech support they almost interrupt you and instantly ship a new gas control valve.

Lady I worked for today had replaced hers twice, it was malfunctioning when I left. Told her I won't touch it but know somebody who can!

Home Depot quit selling powervents because they're losing their *** on the product.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            Home Depot quit selling powervents because they're losing their *** on the product.
            Home Depot shouldn't be selling gas water heaters period.

Comment

Slightly off topic:

Yet another reason I am slowly transitioning to mostly drain-cleaning. Not only are water heaters being made worse and worse every year, but the cost keeps going up and up. Here in NC, it is supposed to be illegal for anyone to install a water heater without pulling a permit and having a plumbing license. Yet, every day unlicensed handymen install water heaters without a permit.
              Now that water heaters are so expensive, and my unlicensed competition is so cheap, its gotten to the point that I rarely ever get to replace one. Most people call for a price, then they keep calling until they get the cheapest guy in town who has no license, no insurance, and will not bother with a permit.
              I used to get upset about it, but now I have come to accept it. It wont change, the almighty dollar drives the market and people will continue hiring unlicensed, uninsured installers as long as they are cheaper than a legitimate plumber.
              I just decided to move one. I sell a water heater maybe once a month for customers who are willing to pay a little more for quality, permitted, inspected, insured work. Other than that, I get lots of "I'll just get it at lowe's" (and have my handyman install it).
              So now I have some of the best drain-cleaning/inspection equipment in the county and hopefully within a few years I'll have so much drain business that I won't even bother with the ridiculous politics of water heaters installs any more.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

What's that got to do with my leaky drain cock? I don't need a plumber's rant, I need a DOCTOR!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  By the way Tim, you know Rheem is a Japanese company now right?

J.C.
                  NOPE, I didn't know that. I quit using them years ago and went to Bradford White.
                  I farmed a water heater out to a friend of mine (plbg contractor) last year because I was too busy and he installed a Ruud. A couple of months later the pilot wouldn't stay lit. My friend was out of town so I had to make two trips changing the thermocouple and then the gas valve after talking to the idiots at Ruud on the phone. I billed Ruud, through Noland co., and never heard back from them. I sent another invoice (I think Noland was just trashing them.) I haven't bought from Noland (who was recently bought by Ferguson) since and it just firmed up my resolve never to use Ruud or Rheem again. I HATE to be ignored (as you can probably tell from my posts!) And I hate not being paid to fix someone else's crap even more.

Comment

Perhaps their new logo should be "GET REAMED WITH RHEEM" or "HAVE A FLOOD WITH RUUD"

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                      Perhaps their new logo should be "GET REAMED WITH RHEEM" or "HAVE A FLOOD WITH RUUD"

LOL!

I'd trademark that!
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Tim, I've basically had good luck with Rheem from the supply house. No BW in my area at all. Only other available is A.O. Smith/State which have been the most finicky FVIR heaters & control systems in my opinion.

Rheem's call line is a joke. I had an invoice for them also that was ignored but the local supplier just credited me the cost and dealt with recouping it. Sometimes it's who you talk too at your supplier.

J.C.

Comment

just installed a 75 bradford today. it was actually a lot less than a rheem.

i actually called all 4 of my suppliers.

2 carried rheem, 1 american and 1 carrried bradford and american.

i took the bradford, even though i had to will call it and dispose of the old one.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I always trash the plastic WH drain. Install brass full port valve with hose bib. Ialso write install date with magic marker. I then pick closest holiday and write drain 5 Min. each year
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

it costs about a $1000 bucks for just the tank up here.

the burner (if needed) and labour are extra up here in the great white where the men are men and the huskies are nervous.

Comment

Working...
                              X