X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas log in fireplace

West Coast Eichler. Slab on grade,one story post and Beam home. Lots of floor to ceiling glazing. Roof slight pitch. Years ago I extended gas line up through roof jack to 3 drops,
    laundry,gas stove,stainless gas stove in Master Bedroom. At that time I added a tee and plug for gas log. Being a welder I have a 16 ton hydraulic pipe bender 1/2"- 3" shoes.
    At the ridge .I did a 16 degree bend on 3/4" Galvy pipe. NO flaking of coating. We'll see
    If Insp. makes Me change this out! Sure beats gas tite ,in My mind! Pix will follow later.
    Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Gas log in fireplace

I have a 3/8 bender
    Last edited by stokefire7; 10-19-2008, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Gas appliance in bedroom?

What does your code say about bending pipe?

For that matter, what does MY code say about it?

I'de feel better about having a piece of CSST in there than a stressed piece of galvy

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        West Coast Eichler. Slab on grade,one story post and Beam home. Lots of floor to ceiling glazing. Roof slight pitch. Years ago I extended gas line up through roof jack to 3 drops,
        laundry,gas stove,stainless gas stove in Master Bedroom. At that time I added a tee and plug for gas log. Being a welder I have a 16 ton hydraulic pipe bender 1/2"- 3" shoes.
        At the ridge .I did a 16 degree bend on 3/4" Galvy pipe. NO flaking of coating. We'll see
        If Insp. makes Me change this out! Sure beats gas tite ,in My mind! Pix will follow later.
        Tool
        Sorry but if he allows it he should be fired. Gas piping can only change direction with the use of fittings or factory bends. I'm curious how you can pull a permit on just a gas line? Is this a remodel where you are also doing carpentry and what not?

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Tool
          We cant do that up here but if you can - god bless

Comment

I wouldnt worry about a bend, just how much pressure is your house gas under?

Comment

Our code states no field bending of pipe. But then again, we can't use galv on gas lines either. Ive done plenty of bends on galv air lines up into lab cabinets with no visible weakening of the pipe. Air is one thing, gas is another. I wouldn't risk it.

Comment

Thanks Mark. On the permit Gas, Elec.,[ 1 new outlet[, $100.00 of wood rot repair.

P Crack Galv. outside and stove in bedroom no problem here.

Tozzi All the pre bends out there are done with the same process WE Do with our own
                Hydraulic benders! For the life of Me I can't see 1/2 Lb. of gas blowing a gentle 16 degree bend !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks Mark. On the permit Gas, Elec.,[ 1 new outlet[, $100.00 of wood rot repair.

P Crack Galv. outside and stove in bedroom no problem here.

Tozzi All the pre bends out there are done with the same process WE Do with our own
                  Hydraulic benders! For the life of Me I can't see 1/2 Lb. of gas blowing a gentle 16 degree bend !
                  I think they are worried about stress on the pipe.
                  Not that anyone is worried about cheap import not holding a consistant enough gas pipe standard.

Comment

Maybe So, And yet the same Dummys have no problem with plastic or gas tite!

Comment

tool, tell them it's an electric fireplace and the pipe is ridgid conduit

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

AT this point ,I may tell them nothing. Maybe Nas Car will go csst for their roll cages.
                        Stupid code!

Comment

AT this point ,I may tell them nothing. Maybe Nas Car will go csst for their roll cages.
                          Stupid code!
                          I agree 100% you get your balls busted for 3.5" of presure in a piece of bent sche40 pipe, but some knucklehead can build a roll cage out of fence post WITH BENDS, crash and live. Go figure

Comment

Thanks Tozzi

Comment

Working...
                            X