X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tool bag or tool box?

I have gone thru about 5 tool bags and one ridgid one that i could keep my hammer drill and saw zall in but my helper borke the handle I have had this tool pak now for about 2yrs no problems what i like is it is a backpack and frees up your hands and you can go up ladders easy.
    The ToolPak Original Part Number: 90650 The Patented ToolPak® "Original" Is The More Portable, More Organized Way To Carry Your Tools.

ToolPaks are widely used by business, industry and government. HVAC technicians and installers, elevator maintenance, photocopy repair, power generation plant technicians, oil exploration maintenance and technicians rave about the ToolPak Original. In the armed forces in the US and Canada, you'll find ToolPaks used by the Army, the Navy's Trident Fleet, Coast Guard, Air Force, their B-2 Bomber Squadrons, as well as Govenment agencies including CIA, FBI, White House Communications Staff, USPS, USFS, Department of Homeland Defense and a variety of enforcement agencies and many more.
    • Patent number 5,209,384.
    • New features!
      • Ergonomic shoulder straps with convenient utility loops.
      • New bigger, heaver zipper.
      • New padded handles.
      • New heavily-padded back panel.
      • New water-proof exterior to protect tools from moisture.
      • New rigid panel design.
    • Over 100 pockets and holders.
    • Unique system keeps tools in place.
    • Six individual panels including:
      • Large Document Panel
      • Screwdriver Panel
      • Pliers Panel
      • Utility Panel
      • Wrench Panel
      • Socket Panel
    • 2 outside pockets which are large enough for Inside Organizers, drills and drivers, meters and sensors, safety equipment.
    • Lockable, heavy-duty zippers.
    • Specialized Trouble Light Loop with quick-release buckle inside the top pocket.
    • Made from layers of waterproof, 1000 denier nylon.
    • Dimensions: 18.5" X 14" X 3" to 10" (Depending Upon The Contents

Comment

Toolbox, with a bag in it

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
        I have gone thru about 5 tool bags and one ridgid one that i could keep my hammer drill and saw zall in but my helper borke the handle I have had this tool pak now for about 2yrs no problems what i like is it is a backpack and frees up your hands and you can go up ladders easy.
        The ToolPak Original Part Number: 90650 The Patented ToolPak® "Original" Is The More Portable, More Organized Way To Carry Your Tools.

ToolPaks are widely used by business, industry and government. HVAC technicians and installers, elevator maintenance, photocopy repair, power generation plant technicians, oil exploration maintenance and technicians rave about the ToolPak Original. In the armed forces in the US and Canada, you'll find ToolPaks used by the Army, the Navy's Trident Fleet, Coast Guard, Air Force, their B-2 Bomber Squadrons, as well as Govenment agencies including CIA, FBI, White House Communications Staff, USPS, USFS, Department of Homeland Defense and a variety of enforcement agencies and many more.
        • Patent number 5,209,384.
        • New features!
          • Ergonomic shoulder straps with convenient utility loops.
          • New bigger, heaver zipper.
          • New padded handles.
          • New heavily-padded back panel.
          • New water-proof exterior to protect tools from moisture.
          • New rigid panel design.
        • Over 100 pockets and holders.
        • Unique system keeps tools in place.
        • Six individual panels including:
          • Large Document Panel
          • Screwdriver Panel
          • Pliers Panel
          • Utility Panel
          • Wrench Panel
          • Socket Panel
        • 2 outside pockets which are large enough for Inside Organizers, drills and drivers, meters and sensors, safety equipment.
        • Lockable, heavy-duty zippers.
        • Specialized Trouble Light Loop with quick-release buckle inside the top pocket.
        • Made from layers of waterproof, 1000 denier nylon.
        • Dimensions: 18.5" X 14" X 3" to 10" (Depending Upon The Contents
        37 years in the workforce and I've never seen anyone with a backpack tool bag. LOL
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I keep all of my finishing gear in a small ammunition box I bought at a farm store called peavey mart. It has a rubber gasket to keep moisture out, and another plumber I knew in the NWT used them a lot to keep different tools in. For rough in work I use a metal 24" toolbox and carry mostly just the top tray from it or I take what I need out and put it in a small yellow bigmouth bag that kicks around my house. I also have a small electricians pouch I wear when finishing and a multitude of pouches made of old denim suprisingly enough. You can make quite a selection of tool pouches out of old stuff, I got the idea from the "home spun plumbers tool pouch" thread and the denim tool roll thing Vince the Plumber made. Also a friend of mine had one made for his remote controls. Ill take a picture of it when I feel less lazy, denim tool pouches are awesome cause they are light and work well when you dont really need puncture resistance. Mine looks kinda like a drywall pouch made out of the *** of a pair of jeans.

Comment

I bought the #1539 today.Seems pretty solid and the zippers etc apear to be of pretty good quality.i`ll check back in a month if the things falls apart.

http://www.kunysleather.com/products...partNo=SW-1539

Comment

ive got 2 big dewalt bags in my van that i dont even attempt to take inside with me,what ever i can carry or put in my pockets goes inside the job with me!

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                I have had everything from tool buckets to steel hip roof boxes. Right now I am using a Veto bag that I like pretty well, especially the PVC water proof bottom of the bag. I am kinda militant about my tools & organization so this bag works well for me.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                I bought the Veto bag last october when I was in San Francisco on the advice of people on the forum.
                I agree the bag is fantastic and I would not have thought I would have used the shoulder strap but that is like the best part of the bag having free hands.

Simon

Comment

What does your Veto pack way with your tools in it? Mine ways around 50 pounds loaded. I tried the shoulder strap once and said never again.

Comment

For me

Nothing works better than a bucket w/ the tools I need for a particular job. Once I've scoped out the job site, I usually do pretty good w/ picking my tools out and bring in just what I need.

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
                      I bought the Veto bag last october when I was in San Francisco on the advice of people on the forum.
                      I agree the bag is fantastic and I would not have thought I would have used the shoulder strap but that is like the best part of the bag having free hands.

Simon
                      I have the exact same tool bag. Heavy, but I like it. I like the pvc vinyl bottom, in case it gets wet, doesn't soak into leather. Bought it from a tool store in Pontiac Mich. I think it was close to $200.

Comment

Originally posted by gigemaggs99 View Post

I have a ? for the pros. I'm always looking for a good tool box/bag for my tools. I know buckets are nice b/c you can pick them up on the jobsite, but they do not work well in the rain in the back of the truck. I know you can buy lids, but they have blown off in the past.

Currently I'm using the Irwin pictured above for my rough-in & top-out tools. The Stanely I use for my fixture/final tools. I like both boxes since they seem to keep the water out. I've had the Irwin for 2 years now, the only problem is over time it has cracked on one of the hinges and the yellow lids on the compartments on the top lid do not work well anymore. They do not want to stay closed if anything is put inside them. Plus they DO hold water, learned that the hard way with cordless screw driver bits

I have had a few canvas bags in the past but it seems like rain doesn't work well with them either. Plus over time sawzall blades can cut/wear holes in them.

My question is, what do ya'll use and what would you suggest? I guess nothing will last forever, would be nice to find something that works good though.

I know bucket boss makes some nice looking bags but they are pricey. Anyone used them? good/bad?

Currently I leave my tool box on the truck and I have a smaller tool tote tray I picked up at hardware store (McCoys) that holds the tools I need for the task I'm doing...then I'll go out to the truck and switch tools out if I'm doing something else....i.e. pvc tools, then once pvc is finished I put my pex tools etc...

I also have a Husky rectangular bag that has a hard frame that helps to keep it's shape. I use it for my cordless tools (assorted Ryobi tools). The only problem with it, it does not have a lid.

Just wanted to know if anyone has a good system.

Thanks,
                        Gus
                        Here's my less than 1 year old Bucket Boss bag. The first week the inside tool pocket seams ripped out. I put a 1/4" piece of plywood in the bottom to stiffen it up. Small hand tools also slip under the dividers.I'm not pleased with it.

James
                        Attached Files

Comment

I really like that VetoProPak setup. I'm eyeballing the laptop computer carrier but at over $225 it's ridiculously priced imo. I just can't bring myself to spend $100 or $200 on a contraption to carry my tools so here's what I did. I made myself a little tool holder for my 5 gallon bucket. That way I can throw stuff in the middle that I'll need for a specific job. Throw small scrap in there, etc. when I'm cleaning up. It's soft copper I flattened out, and silver soldered short lengths of copper tubing to the ring. Very durable, it's outlasted several buckets, and I can modify it when I want.

Then if I need a step up in the job I can always use the bucket to stand on, or to catch some water if need be. Although I usually bring in my "Lil Jumbo" step stool, and a smaller bucket to catch water under a sink trap.

As far as tools getting wet, I guess you can get a larger plastic container to place upside down over the bucket when in the back of a pickup. Personally I would get a van.
                          Attached Files
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                            I really like that VetoProPak setup. I'm eyeballing the laptop computer carrier but at over $225 it's ridiculously priced imo. I just can't bring myself to spend $100 or $200 on a contraption to carry my tools so here's what I did. I made myself a little tool holder for my 5 gallon bucket. That way I can throw stuff in the middle that I'll need for a specific job. Throw small scrap in there, etc. when I'm cleaning up. It's soft copper I flattened out, and silver soldered short lengths of copper tubing to the ring. Very durable, it's outlasted several buckets, and I can modify it when I want.

Then if I need a step up in the job I can always use the bucket to stand on, or to catch some water if need be. Although I usually bring in my "Lil Jumbo" step stool, and a smaller bucket to catch water under a sink trap.

As far as tools getting wet, I guess you can get a larger plastic container to place upside down over the bucket when in the back of a pickup. Personally I would get a van.
                            Geno,

I like the copper ring tool holder. I going to borrow your idea, if it's okay with you?
                            My plumbing tool bucket is a disaster, the tool holder ring should help.

James

Comment

James,

Glad you like the idea. I got it from a plumbing partner and friend who sadly passed away a few years ago. He was a wonderful human being, John Beane. He would be very happy to know his idea is useful to others.

He also made little "martian" men from the bones of old faucets. (Delta and Moen mainly) They were very cool.
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                              X