X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tool bag or tool box?

I have a ? for the pros. I'm always looking for a good tool box/bag for my tools. I know buckets are nice b/c you can pick them up on the jobsite, but they do not work well in the rain in the back of the truck. I know you can buy lids, but they have blown off in the past.

Currently I'm using the Irwin pictured above for my rough-in & top-out tools. The Stanely I use for my fixture/final tools. I like both boxes since they seem to keep the water out. I've had the Irwin for 2 years now, the only problem is over time it has cracked on one of the hinges and the yellow lids on the compartments on the top lid do not work well anymore. They do not want to stay closed if anything is put inside them. Plus they DO hold water, learned that the hard way with cordless screw driver bits

I have had a few canvas bags in the past but it seems like rain doesn't work well with them either. Plus over time sawzall blades can cut/wear holes in them.

My question is, what do ya'll use and what would you suggest? I guess nothing will last forever, would be nice to find something that works good though.

I know bucket boss makes some nice looking bags but they are pricey. Anyone used them? good/bad?

Currently I leave my tool box on the truck and I have a smaller tool tote tray I picked up at hardware store (McCoys) that holds the tools I need for the task I'm doing...then I'll go out to the truck and switch tools out if I'm doing something else....i.e. pvc tools, then once pvc is finished I put my pex tools etc...

I also have a Husky rectangular bag that has a hard frame that helps to keep it's shape. I use it for my cordless tools (assorted Ryobi tools). The only problem with it, it does not have a lid.

Just wanted to know if anyone has a good system.

Thanks,
    Gus
    Gus
    M40607

Re: tool bag or tool box?

I use this bag for trim tools. I have this bag that I use for rough in tools. For service work tools, parts and accessories I use this.

Comment

I keep all of my hand-tools in this:

I have a canvas bag like Killer's that I bring in on service calls.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I use Ridgid's Jobmax bag which is outstanding but is currently not made anymore. You can find an equivilant at North State.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

these are what i'm using right now.

i come across alot of old computer bags. they work really good. dries out easy.

the little bag has my little wrenches, drill bits, allen keys. it's an old poloroid camera case.

my solder kit used to be a thermos kit. everything i need fits in there real nice. i put this in my back pack.

my back pack, like the computer bag has alot of pockets to put things. i like it because i can just put my tools on my back. makes the long walk down the hallway a little easier.

they also don't look like an expensive box of tools. hint hint.

Vince
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you gents! Looks like I'm not the only one that has a different bag/box for the different phases.

I really like the computer bag and lunch kit idea. That's pretty cool, I never thought of it, plus those bags seem to be made pretty tough. Good idea
            Gus
            M40607

Comment

Right now I have all my basic tools in a heavy sail canvas Klein tool bag. For the "easy" jobs it is all I need with out going back to the truck. I still like a tool box for the fact it is hard, and I can sit on it

Comment

I have bought a lot of the plastic tool boxes they are usually pretty cheap but either the clasps or hinges break on me or worse during the summer they get hot and if anything of any weight gets on top of them they melt or deform, but like I said they are cheap. I ruin them I buy another and go back to a bucket till I see another one on sale. I stopped buying the expensive ones because the result was the same. I also use my cordless tool bags that come with cordless tool sets now days, take the tools out and use the bags for my common tools.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                  I keep all of my hand-tools in this:

I have a canvas bag like Killer's that I bring in on service calls.
                  How is the Fat Max holding up for you? I was eyeballing one at the borg the other day, loved the concept, but wasn't so sure about the durability. Looked like it would hold a lot of stuff in an easily portable fashion. The display didn't seem to operate smoothly and felt easily broken, but it may have been on display for a couple of years and yanked around by people who didn't know how to open it. Has it worked well for you?

Comment

that fatmax looks like a golfbag on steroids.

got me thinking.

Vince

Comment

Riggers bag.......the middle white canvas job. Total of 32 pockets inside and out. Room enough inside to carry drill, pipe wrenches, etc. You can load this bag WAY heavier than you really feel like carrying, but it can reduce trips to the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
                        How is the Fat Max holding up for you? I was eyeballing one at the borg the other day, loved the concept, but wasn't so sure about the durability. Looked like it would hold a lot of stuff in an easily portable fashion. The display didn't seem to operate smoothly and felt easily broken, but it may have been on display for a couple of years and yanked around by people who didn't know how to open it. Has it worked well for you?
                        I have had it for 6 months, its holding up well. I am very pleased with it as it helps me keep everything organized in one place.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I'm not much of a fan of plastic stuff. Had a plastic Stanley Tool box break a chunk off on me and that about did it for the new age supposedly durable plastic tool boxes. Sure they are ok if you watch out but in new construction & reno's where you are constantly moving tools I decided metal was it.

I have 2 tool boxes - 1 24" Husky Diamond Plate Aluminum Tool box (looks schweet - I always get Q's about where I got it, etc. - has held up well for the past 3 years). They used to sell them at the Home Depot in Bellingham - can't find them there anymore?

And 1 Husky small 20" Red steel tool box.

CArry the bigger stuff in the 24", the smaller stuff in the 20".

But I also built a wood carry all about 24" long with 3/4" thick plywood and I glued and screwed it together and I used that to bring just the tools I need to the area I am working as well as flux, sandcloth, glues, gloves, whatever else I think I will need.
                          Works great. Maybe the odd trip back to the van for the odd thing you didn't think you would need but much easier to bring just the tools you will need and not lugging 2 heavy tool boxes (my boxes are loaded) to the job site.

You know your tool box has all the tools back in it when you can barely close it!

Comment

i prefer the steel tool boxes rather than the plastic ones..

Comment

Tool bag works great going into a finished home, and I don't have to worry about the bag getting wet from rain. But if I'm outdoor, on a build or doing a siding job or whatever, my choice is plastic tool box, of course this also gets stored in my tool trailer, which is even better. But to be able to place the tool box on a wet ground and not have to worry that water is seeping in from a seam, is a load off of my mind...
                              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X