Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orangeburg cleanout ?

i need help/ advise

a customer of mine had their landscaper dig up the main i camered 3 years ago

so this is what they emailed me tonight and i need to install a cleanout to the surface. it's 4' deep and as you can see has underground utilities.

electrical, and gas main, water main.

what do you suggest to make a transition from 4'' oranageburg to 4''n.h or abs

the hole is supposedly 3'x'4' x 4' deep. this is the only photo they emailed me.

rick.

Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Re: Orangeburg cleanout ?

Pipe-burst it, orangeburg is no good.

Rubber ferncos coupling work to transition to orangeburg if you must. They are legal here.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I've been using 4"Pl x 4"A.C. furncos. I don't know if you have much Aesbestos Cement Pipe in your area, the furncos might not be available.
      Brent

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        i need help/ advise

a customer of mine had their landscaper dig up the main i camered 3 years ago

so this is what they emailed me tonight and i need to install a cleanout to the surface. it's 4' deep and as you can see has underground utilities.

electrical, and gas main, water main.

what do you suggest to make a transition from 4'' oranageburg to 4''n.h or abs

the hole is supposedly 3'x'4' x 4' deep. this is the only photo they emailed me.

rick.

I think you need to use clay by c.i. ferncos. I know we make the transition from time to time from orange burg to pvc. I think thats what we use. They are legal in Mi.

Comment

Use a Mission No-Shear band. Perfect for underground, and are stronger than Fernco's.

Comment

Is that shale? That ground is hard as a hoar's heart!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

looks like shale. i hope they dug it big enough for me.

it looks a lot smaller than 3' x 4' from the photo.

i'll bring a combination of bands and see what fits best.

thanks for the input and i'll post some finished photos.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Worst thing about orangeburg is that it's usually egg-shaped from the weight of the ground. I agree that the best thing you can do is replace it all.

Wouldn't hurt to run your camera - you might get the job even if they have to get a loan . . .

Comment

Fix it right, replace it as they suggested. Orangeburg will most likely egg shape when you torque the bands. Did you camera the rest of the line and is it in good shape? Doubtful considing it is orangeburg. Your customer would be better serviced with a new line.

Comment

Rick, I think I'd use mission bands and probably go with no hub ci for the vertical and clean out just because someone might run over it with a lawnmower or weed wacker.
                    sigpic

Comment

i'll post photos as soon as i get a chance to load them.

i thought i was in business once i sawzalled a 2' section. i used a carbide tipped sawzal blade.

but once i cleared out under the asbestos/cement electrical line, the pipe was crushed and roots were everywhere. i dug deeper into the slope and still bad. even cut off a coupling in the process.

so long story short. an all rubber fernco 4'' plastic fits real nice. a little stretching and it's good.

rest of the story to come.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I'll repeat!
                        Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                        Pipe-burst it, orangeburg is no good.

Rubber ferncos coupling work to transition to orangeburg if you must. They are legal here.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

If it really is orangeburg then I would consider a two way cleanout or a "Texas Twin". For those of you who don't know, the "Texas Twin" is a tight double cleanout made in no hub only and has a total length of less than 18''. It's great for situations where space is an issue. It costs quite a bit but in the end your job will be clean. If Plumber rick puts in a combination fitting only, there is always that risk of root intrusion on the back side of the fitting, more so if it is orangeburg.

Comment

you didnt ask me but I`ll tell you anyway

They make a fernco that goes from OB to PVC

Use a CO T and concreat over the fernco`s.
                            We do it all the time
                            Hope this helps ya

If not I can post a picture in the morning?

Do not use the 4'' plastic fernco or you will smash the pipe over time.
                            Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 10-30-2008, 01:04 AM.
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Well my post is late but consider a Baker coupling, holds it shape and the OB shape, whithout fail.
                              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                              X