X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business?

i am in a leads, our group specializes in home repairs only. we range from plumber, window treatments. anyway, the electrician in the group is a one man shop and he mirrors his company off of mr. electric which i guess is a franchise company like the rooter companies. his company is not franchised though, anyway he is very clean cut and i guess the best way to describe him is anal. (his van is wrapped with his cartoon type logo),but i enjoy talking to him because i dont think like him at all so he kind of opens my mind to things. he's flat rate. we were talking today about the group, he was saying since the group was started he has made over $8200 dollars on something like 13 calls. he tracks everything, he can tell what zip code he makes the most money in. he admits on not being the cheapest and that he is selling a service and that he is a salesman first and an electrician second. and his closing percentage on jobs is over 80% so people are buying what he's selling. i have received more jobs from this leads group but i have not made nearly as much money, $630 per job is impressive i am not even close to that. am i being to nice should i start selling more. i see opportunities when i am in someones house but i just dont push it. i do what they call me to do and thats it unless it is something potentially harmful. what do you guys think? and at what point do you become a used car salesman? i think this may be a good thread for the younger business's so throw in your $.02
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: Business?

Im just entering my second full year in my business, and I'm just kind of figuring out if i should be up selling every chance or not. We don't do residential so the upsell is usually more of a big ticket item. what I've been finding is that I always mention an upsell, and always tell the truth to the customer about the severity or urgency of the task I am trying to sell them on. As long as I am doing that, I see no reason why it would be anything but right to sell sell sell. A man's gotta eat right?
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Your customers are calling you because they can't or don't want to do it themselves. If you can offer other services at a discount while you are there, then you are doing them a favor on top of the primary reason you are there. You are not forcing them to say yes. If you don't ask them, they won't know. Remember you run a business.
      ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Yes ,He is probably a good salesman. When He sees an old zinsco 100 amp panel with a
        breaker replacement only needed, he pushes for a new 200 amp service!

Learn from Him, and prosper! Good luck
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

When people have a bad electrical outlet they use an extension cord, they can't do that with us. Many years ago when I was looking at trades I discovered that the common household needed a plumber four to five times more per year than an electrician. The word gets out when you treat people fairly. Now during these tough times is an excellent time to build your business up, word of mouth is the most powerful form of advertising for the small plumbing shop. Don't let this other guy's tall tales sway you in a direction you are not comfortable with, keep your head screwed on and everyone will come looking for you.

Comment

I don't make a point to upsell. Maybe I should. But I would be remiss if I saw something that needed attention and didn't at least mention it, particularly if it were a dangerous code infraction. (Such as a plugged relief valve or an open sewer.)

Comment

Everything is sales.
              •My marketing (advertising, shop sign, fancy truck lettering, referrals, magnetic business cards) is what sells people to call my phone number in the first place.
              •Every time I answer the phone, I am selling an appointment.
              •When I walk in the door, I am selling my image as a professional service plumber, so they trust me.
              •Then I show them directly how I can improve their particular plumbing situation and give them a price (direct sale.)
              •Finally, my quality parts, workmanship and customer-service then sell a repeat call or referral...my goal is a customer for life.

Business is sales, period. Especially the home service business (plumbing, HVAC, etc.) 90% of the service business is simply selling YOURSELF as a person people like to deal with. People buy from people they like.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

p.s.
                I am not trying to sound like some hot-shot salesman, because I am not. I am just frustrated because TOO MANY plumbers out there are good at plumbing, but terrible at business. SALES is not a dirty word! After all, we plumb for money, not for a hobby.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                  p.s.
                  I am not trying to sound like some hot-shot salesman, because I am not. I am just frustrated because TOO MANY plumbers out there are good at plumbing, but terrible at business. SALES is not a dirty word! After all, we plumb for money, not for a hobby.
                  S. Guy,You're spot on! We're not talking of up selling something not needed!
                  It's good service to point out ,You can add a clean out now ,and avoid an additional trip charge, later. " I need to pull this toilet,no clean out,Hey I have a new one on the truck at a great deal ,Base is cracked on this one! " GOOD SERVICE GOOD BUSINESS

Why let the next Guy have this work ?
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                  X